Visual Differences

Student pilot, and trying to learn the visual differences between various helicopter brands

Enstrom, Robinson, Schweizer.. easily discernible

For some reason I can't see anything definitive to tell the difference between a eurocopter and a bell

obviously its model specific, but is there anything specific about either brand that screams I'm a Bell?

Robinson has that clearly visible rotor mast, Enstrom with the tadpole look, schweizer is a glass ball with a tail rotor...

Sikorsky's I could probably figure out over time, but I dont see them as much

is there a site that helps differentiate different brands?

The poster is great and worth the $20 especially for your wall when you start teaching. But also give yourself some time. You remember being a kid and not knowing the difference between one car and the next? Same thing, and the more you get involved in the industry the more you'll read about the helis and see them everywhere...you'll start to recognize them, and form opinions :P Pick up a few old Heli-Ops and Vertical Mags and paw through them a couple of dozen times to start :)

Have fun!

HG03

edit: at a quick glance side by side, EC look more like goldfish (snub nose, but not to be confused with MD) and Bell look more like dolphins (beakier, but not to be confused with Agusta). :blink: :)

It will not be long before you will recognize a helicopter by the sound of the engine, main rotor and tail rotor.

Haha, so true!

Simple:

If you see it and your mind is completely blown by its stunning beauty, it is probably a Eurocopter.

If you see it and your ears are blown by the power and beauty of the sound of its rotors, it is probably a UH-1 Bell Huey.

If you see and you say to yourself, "holy $@#$ I want to fly that!!" it is probably a Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawk.

If you see it and think it's so ugly it's beautiful, it is probably a Boeing CH-47 Chinook.

The list goes on.

:D

P.S. The part about the Blackhawk is non-negotiable. You think I'm kidding?

2 blades - Bell (big and small) or Robinson

3 blades - Eurocopter or Schweizer

4 blades - MD or Sikorsky or Agusta or big Bell

5 blades - MD or something very big

That will point you in the right direction - there are exceptions to every rule, and I expect someone will take exception to this post!

...and the one with 13 blades (yes, ALL 13).

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

...and the one with 13 blades (yes, ALL 13).

Yes, the Russian monster..

2 blades - Bell (big and small)[/quote

Yes, the bigger bells like the 407, 427, 429, 430, 412, are all 4 blade mains....ever wonder why they stuck with two blades as the ships got bigger back in the day? 222, 214, 205, etc.?

Eric- love your posts..

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

2 blades - Bell (big and small) or Robinson

3 blades - Eurocopter or Schweizer

4 blades - MD or Sikorsky or Agusta or big Bell

5 blades - MD or something very big

That will point you in the right direction - there are exceptions to every rule, and I expect someone will take exception to this post!

No exception taken, but...

What about the Eurocopters with 4 blades (AS332, EC145/UH72A, and EC135), or 5 blades (EC225, or EC155).

You can be pretty sure of this: if it has a Fenestron it's probably a Eurocopter. I know, I know...the Comance had a fenestron and I think Bell toyed with it on an experimental ship. can't think of any others.

Oh, I almost forgot to add the one-blade helicopter. No joke. You can check that one off your list.

Alright, since NOBODY here would believe me anyways, try the Sikorsky XV-2 (concept).

[Eric]

The ... movement......must....must....not watch....

...difficulty... ..keeping.. ...control... ....must control....

....MAYDAY...

Bells:

206s- pointy nose, with tall, thin masts with 2 blades, long skids and long skinny tail booms; 2 m/r blades, distinctive sound. Narrow fuselage.

407- same-same fuselage (as 206 Long Ranger) with shorter mast, "growls" in flight.

Eurocopters (120, 350/130)- Nose cone rounded (120/130 no distinct nose cone), short skids, tail boom conical, 3 blade m/r, you can hear each blade in flight but still sort of 'growls'.