WOFT Application Process

I know it says you are applying for the October 2011 board, but based on your post it appears you are going for the October 2010 board?

Good luck and keep us updated. I think you PM'd me before and I never got back to you. If that's the case, I apologize! Things have been nuts. Let me know if you have more questions, my schedule is a lot less hectic at the moment.

Nice PT scores, too.

I know it says you are applying for the October 2011 board, but based on your post it appears you are going for the October 2010 board?

Good luck and keep us updated. I think you PM'd me before and I never got back to you. If that's the case, I apologize! Things have been nuts. Let me know if you have more questions, my schedule is a lot less hectic at the moment.

Nice PT scores, too.

Haha whoops, yes I am definitely going for the Oct. 2010. I probably could go earlier but I think I will wait for FY 2011 when it seems there will be more slots. No problem about the PM - you essentially answered the question looking through the other posts. Yeah I have no idea how you did 25(?) credits.

Good luck to you as well although I sure not much will be needed.

Haha whoops, yes I am definitely going for the Oct. 2010. I probably could go earlier but I think I will wait for FY 2011 when it seems there will be more slots. No problem about the PM - you essentially answered the question looking through the other posts. Yeah I have no idea how you did 25(?) credits.

Good luck to you as well although I sure not much will be needed.

I'll use every ounce of luck I can take! Yeah, I ended up dropping a class because it just got too ridiculous with 25 credits and a job. Consuming a dangerous amount of 5-hour energy daily was probably not the best idea, so I'm scheduled to graduate end of summer or fall, depending on when I can get an internship to finish out graduation requirements.

Like you, I could technically apply August or September, depending on when I can finish up my physicals, but I'll probably hold out also until October.

Haha whoops, yes I am definitely going for the Oct. 2010. I probably could go earlier but I think I will wait for FY 2011 when it seems there will be more slots.

Stephen,

Just curious where you heard that there will be more slots in FY2011 than 2010?

Arthur

Stephen,

Just curious where you heard that there will be more slots in FY2011 than 2010?

Arthur

Honestly, I can't remember exactly where - it has mostly been a culmination of difference sources - some more credible than others. I am pretty sure I read most from armytimes.com. They are also creating two new CABs and a lot of aviators are beginning to retire so that is kind of a inference source.

If I stumble across the article I will go ahead and post it.

Honestly, I can't remember exactly where - it has mostly been a culmination of difference sources - some more credible than others. I am pretty sure I read most from armytimes.com. They are also creating two new CABs and a lot of aviators are beginning to retire so that is kind of a inference source.

If I stumble across the article I will go ahead and post it.

Stephen, I can tell you with certainty that there are less slots available in FY2011 than there was in FY2010. However, the ratio for accepted WOFT applications is now more in your favor as a civilian. 60% will be chosen civilian, 40% will be active duty. Army Aviators as a whole number are over 180% over-strength right now, which is why they are slowing down the hiring. Best of luck and hope to see you down at Rucker soon.

Arthur

Edited by NorCalHeliKid

Stephen, I can tell you with certainty that there are less slots available in FY2011 than there was in FY2010. However, the ratio for accepted WOFT applications is now more in your favor as a civilian. 60% will be chosen civilian, 40% will be active duty. Army Aviators as a whole number are over 180% over-strength right now, which is why they are slowing down the hiring. Best of luck and hope to see you down at Rucker soon.

Arthur

Hmmm that is the first time I have heard there would be a decrease. Do you have a link or article?

Perhaps that is where some of the "increase" comes from? In other words, if the total number stays the same that would still mean an increase of 75 slots for civilian applicants (under the assumption that 150 civilian applicants were accepted for FY 2010). I am assuming, however, that you mean the total number of slots will decrease.

I have heard the percentage switch as well but unfortunately I have read 50-50. I am hoping you're right in that area though...

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/04/16/37488-chief-warrant-officer-csm-speak-to-aviation-branch-on-top-issues/

I am still gonna stick to my guns and say there will be an increase (perhaps wishful thinking). Someone else on the armyocs.com forum had heard the same thing so I will check with them and see if they have a source.

EDIT: FWIW, http://www.defpro.com/daily/details/499/

No idea about the credibility of this site, but it's one more piece to the jigsaw puzzle that is the WOFT selection process.

http://www.rucker.army.mil/docs/usaace_info/USAACE%20Info%20Paper%20G3%20FSXXI%20Student%20Throughput%2022%20Mar%2010.pdf

http://www.rucker.army.mil/docs/usaace_info/USAACE%20Info%20Paper%20CDID%20Aviation%20Study%20II%2022%20Mar%2010.pdf

Honestly the whole worry about slots seems like splitting hairs. They are going to accept people, which makes it worthwhile to compete and go for a slot. In the end, ya'll are only adding worry to the equation since you're applying no matter what the ratio or number selected is.

I'd worry more about having the best application possible.

Honestly the whole worry about slots seems like splitting hairs. They are going to accept people, which makes it worthwhile to compete and go for a slot. In the end, ya'll are only adding worry to the equation since you're applying no matter what the ratio or number selected is.

I'd worry more about having the best application possible.

I agree for the most part. I guess the only reason I research it is to determine whether I apply in September or wait until the new FY in Oct.

Hmmm that is the first time I have heard there would be a decrease. Do you have a link or article?

I do not have a link, my information does not come from a written source, per se. I just happen to hear numbers. That's really all that I can say. I understand how numbers can be thrown around and people can get misinformation, that happens constantly in the Army. One minute I'm here doing something and the next day it will be completely different, etc. Here is the bottom line in my opinion: If you apply at ANYTIME and you are worth being accepted right away, you WILL BE! (They will invent you a slot if you are worthy enough to have one invented) Apply, dont give up if the first answer is no.

Arthur

Edited by NorCalHeliKid