JOBS JOBS JOBS!!

RkyMtnHI

Folks, we know it's tough to find jobs now-days in some sectors, but it is getting better all the time. If you want this bad enough, and are willing to work at it on all* levels, you will succeed. We personally know SEVEN friends that have been hired in the past few weeks, TWO more that have job offers that they are considering and TWO more that are waiting for interviews. One of the guys had THREE offers to pick from and took the job he had always wanted. The pilot's hours ranged from under 300 to over 10,000 (only one had 10k+, most were around the 1500 to 2000 range).. the guy that had 3 offers had 2100. Keep your chin up and NEVER GIVE UP!!

sincerely,

dp

*all levels: employers are looking for a 'total package', not just a 'good stick'... they want a team member that will BE a team member, they want a good attitude all the time and a safe pilot (manytimes this goes hand-in-hand), they want someone that KNOWS the job and WANTS THAT job, not someone that is looking for something that will do-for-now... employers want someone that will commit for a year at least, someone that likes other people, and that other people like as well (back to a team player). To get to this point you might have to be willing to work on things you wouldn't expect, and be able to accept the fact that you have to work on those things.. BE HUMBLE!! until you have 5,000 hours you are a low time pilot, yes you deserve all the respect for getting to where you are now, but in the scheme of things you don't know sh*t.. the pilots with tons of hours are the ones that seem to be the humblest of all.. that tells you something.

Lastly, never, ever give up.. things are getting better, but they are getting better faster for the folks that get the above.

• Like 1

Nice to see a positive outlook on the job situation. Things have worked out great for me, I'm not living where I want to and not making much money but I get to do some really challenging flying and I have built a good chunk of time. The rest will change soon enough. My only regret is that I didn't start younger.

• Like 1

DP, you're spot on. One thing that I saw in all the resumes I reviewed during Heli-Success was that the CFIs who had jobs through 2008-2010 brought way more to the table than just their certs. Many of them had started schools/businesses, revived schools/businesses, or had taken responsibilities way beyond just instructing. Good to see that some guys are starting to get a break.

• Like 1

You sound just like my instructor/mentor. He is a Chief Pilot among other things. In his words "a monkey can be a good stick, I need someone who can take care of the customer's needs" it all comes down to the people paying the bill at the end of the day and they don't like smug egotistical pilots.

DP, you're spot on. One thing that I saw in all the resumes I reviewed during Heli-Success was that the CFIs who had jobs through 2008-2010 brought way more to the table than just their certs. Many of them had started schools/businesses, revived schools/businesses, or had taken responsibilities way beyond just instructing. Good to see that some guys are starting to get a break.

Thanks Chris, it's true, we look for more than pilots..

I wanted to copy this post to say that, even tho i talk about resumes and getting jobs, this guy is a real expert in the area. Chris sat for days at Lyn's job fairs and went thru tons of resumes.. and has the education and experience to back it up.. so, when he talks, you should listen.

respectfully,

dp

• Like 1

DP,

Just curious to know what industry you are seeing a large increase in hiring (gulf, tours, etc)

thanks

Wow, that's a good question ChprPlt..

i was thinking about this post all day, and remembered three more folks that i forgot to list that got hired lately.

I wouldn't call it a 'large' increase.. i think that there is hiring going on all the time, you just don't hear about it unless you are paying attention or have lots of contacts or both.

I'll try to list what i know: these are rough numbers so don't get picky on me!!

EMS.. 3 or 4

Tour.. 3

Utility.. 1

CFI.. 2

CFII.. 1

hey, i just remembered one more 'Tour' and she's on this forum.. congrats Emily.. i could probably come up with a few more if i had the time and wasn't so tired.. :-)

aloha,

dp