MP settings for S330CB

When I flew turbines we did the PPC and determined hover torque. In the aircraft, we picked up to a hover, verified torque, and for take-off applied 10% above hover to give an approx 500 fpm climb, burn off 200lbs of fuel gain 1% torque avail....

Well now, piston engines are a whole different animal. My question is: What rule of thumb do you use for climbs, descents, airspeed changes etc. I know the formula; ambient pressure(what the MP is reading - engine not running) - 1" for every 1000' will be the approximate max MP available.

Anyone have any useful advice on the numbers in between??

Many thanks in advance.

Never done anything like that before (beyond just using the carts, of course).

Why are you flying so,...technically? :huh:

What charts are you using? There aren't any charts in the HIM that deal with performance, just hover stuff, CAS, & DA.

I don't really consider it technical. I like being able to make calculated power changes. I don't like hunting for a power setting. With the torque you could make an educated adjustment, give it a few and fine tune it.

I don't have it exactly figured out, but for level cruise at 60KIAS is usually around 20-21MP for me. To get a 2-300fpm decent is usually a 3-4inch drop in MP and 50KIAS. Climbs are usually fly out to best climb IAS then add collective and aft cyclic to get a good climb rate going. Remember to keep it out of the HV curve. To relate that to hover, its usually 2-3 inches MP more than cruise. At the altitude we're at, the MP limit is full throttle. So not sure how any of this relates to that. This is all with a Schweizer 269c.

I'm just comparing my days in the Huey, Kiowa, and Apache (all turbine) to my current aircraft. The Schweizer 300CB.

The confusion comes from the thread title.

Thanks for your service! That is quite a change in aircraft, wich of your prior birds was your favorite?

I don't have it exactly figured out, but for level cruise at 60KIAS is usually around 20-21MP for me. To get a 2-300fpm decent is usually a 3-4inch drop in MP and 50KIAS. Climbs are usually fly out to best climb IAS then add collective and aft cyclic to get a good climb rate going. Remember to keep it out of the HV curve. To relate that to hover, its usually 2-3 inches MP more than cruise. At the altitude we're at, the MP limit is full throttle. So not sure how any of this relates to that. This is all with a Schweizer 269c.

Thanks. Is the 269C derated? I know the 269C-1 is not. The numbers are probably still close.

The confusion comes from the thread title.

Thanks for your service! That is quite a change in aircraft, wich of your prior birds was your favorite?

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I liked the fact that I flew the Huey. It has such a rich history in Army aviation but... That Apache was one sweet a$$ ride. I flew the A model and the Longbow. The longbow is a lot nicer as far as avionics, MPDs, and accessibility to to just about everything from both cockpits goes but I liked the handling of the A model. They tweaked a little something in the D model and I really didn't like the feel. Maybe too many hours in the A

What charts are you using? There aren't any charts in the HIM that deal with performance, just hover stuff, CAS, & DA.

I don't really consider it technical. I like being able to make calculated power changes. I don't like hunting for a power setting. With the torque you could make an educated adjustment, give it a few and fine tune it.

I was just refering to the little MAP chart we have for the R22.

I haven't had to fly any specific rate of climbs or descents since my instrument training. I recall seeing some MAP "rules of thumb", but it was a very long time ago. :( You may try calling an instrument instructor at an S300 school, they might have what you need. :huh:

Here in the non-commercial world, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. :D

Try looking at the 300C POH supplement. It has all the power/speed, range/endurance/power charts. The CBI will be identical if you add about 2-3 inches manifold for a given setting in the C.

http://www.sharpmountainaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/300C-POH-D.pdf

Edited by apiaguy

Try looking at the 300C POH supplement. It has all the power/speed, range/endurance/power charts. The CBI will be identical if you add about 2-3 inches manifold for a given setting in the C.

http://www.sharpmountainaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/300C-POH-D.pdf

Thanks for the link. I'm flying the 300CB. Still the same recommendation?? I noticed in the charts the rpm is 3200 as opposed to 2700 in the CB.