Too much piston time?

A bit of career advice from employers out there please:

Lets say you were looking for a utility/airwork/charter pilot, and you operate maybe 44s and 206, 350, 500 or the like. Would you look at a resume with 2,000hrs of piston time (and no turbine), and say to yourself: "what's wrong with this person? I'd rather higher a 1,000hr CFI"

In other words, is there such a thing as too much piston time?

I certainly hope not.

The questions I usually get are not:

Why so much piston time? It's more like, why are you so damn good looking and charming? I really feel they are intimidated.

However, there are people who love what they are doing at whatever point they happen to be at. If that point happens to be flying a piston, then they will have lots of piston hours. I think there may be requirements for turbine minimums, but not piston maximums :-)

If an employer is so near sighted and focused on numbers to the point they think, why so much piston time? I would have reserves about working for them.

Turbine time is so blown out of proportion to me. They are all helicopters. Once I flew a turbine, after about 5 minutes I thought, well this flies like the PISTON ship I've been flying for 1,000 hours.

Seems like a marketing scheme to get people with more money than brains to pay for "Turbine Transitions". I'd rather pay for 10 hours of 22 time to build PIC then one hour in a turbine to teach me the start up which takes one time to grasp.

You can teach a monkey to fly, its the decisions you make which make good pilots. Trust me, I've dealt with numerous monkeys.

IMO.

• Like 2

In aviation, the term “time” is commonly used as a yardstick to measure experience. To an extent, beyond a certain point, the amount of time in a piston machine becomes irrelevant. That is, 2000 hours worth of experience is just that, 2000 hours of experience regardless of what’s powering the rotor system.

Same holds true for make and model for most single light turbines. Specifically, while employers do like to see some time in make and model it’s usually not a deal breaker. That is, not deal breaker as long as you have a measurable amount of experience in other types of machines in the same weight category.