Bell 206 spike lock?

RagMan

Any of you 206 pilots ever heard of "spike lock"?

One of my military buddies who trained on the TH-57 through Army flight school mentioned it to me today. I haven't heard of the term yet in my 206 turbine transition, but then again, it might be one of those things that the Army enjoys creating. I've searched around a bit on google but haven't found anything yet.

He could be screwing with me, but he seems pretty serious about it. Thanks in advance.

Do they mean jack lock? Or servo transparency? In relation to hydraulics. Haven't heard it called spike lock yet but I've only been around a few years so what do I know?! :)

edit: also jack stall, servo reversibility, and probably a million other terms that I also haven't heard of :P

Could he have said, "Spike Knock?"

"Spike knock occurs when the round pin in the drag-pin fitting contacts the side of the square hole of the pylon stop, which is mounted to the roof. It creates a loud noise and will occur during a rocking of the pylon. The following factors can cause spike knock, low rotor RPM, extreme asymmetric loading, poor execution of an autorotational landing and low G maneuvers below +.5 Gs."

I had to wear a golden railroad spike around my neck and memorize that quote from the OH-58 -10 many moons ago...

• Like 2

I had to wear a golden railroad spike around my neck and memorize that quote from the OH-58 -10 many moons ago...

Lol. Good info though! I'll be in town next month a week or two, you out on ERAD or will you be local? :)

Could he have said, "Spike Knock?"

"Spike knock occurs when the round pin in the drag-pin fitting contacts the side of the square hole of the pylon stop, which is mounted to the roof. It creates a loud noise and will occur during a rocking of the pylon. The following factors can cause spike knock, low rotor RPM, extreme asymmetric loading, poor execution of an autorotational landing and low G maneuvers below +.5 Gs."

LOTS of quoting that during Primary, albeit in the TH-67.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Could he have said, "Spike Knock?""Spike knock occurs when the round pin in the drag-pin fitting contacts the side of the square hole of the pylon stop, which is mounted to the roof. It creates a loud noise and will occur during a rocking of the pylon. The following factors can cause spike knock, low rotor RPM, extreme asymmetric loading, poor execution of an autorotational landing and low G maneuvers below +.5 Gs."I had to wear a golden railroad spike around my neck and memorize that quote from the OH-58 -10 many moons ago...

Thanks for clearing that up, Palmfish! I knew the purpose behind the drag pin and why its there, just haven't heard of that term before and what it correlated to.

Lol. Good info though! I'll be in town next month a week or two, you out on ERAD or will you be local? :)

I'm on erad through Aug 5th.

I'm then heading up to AK with the Soloy on the 17th for a few weeks.

I'd love to see you if you can fit me in!

I'm on erad through Aug 5th.

I'm then heading up to AK with the Soloy on the 17th for a few weeks.

I'd love to see you if you can fit me in!

Perfect, I'll be there the 10th-16th! I'll give you a call after the 5th, we can figure something out. Jealous of AK as always!

Perfect, I'll be there the 10th-16th! I'll give you a call after the 5th, we can figure something out. Jealous of AK as always!

Great, I'll wait to hear from you.

One of these days I'll take the AStar up there. I get jealous every time I see a helicopter while I'm buzzing around up there in the Cessna.

• 9 years later...

Can’t remember hearing the phase “spike knock” while flying the TH-55 during army flight school in 1982. We called it “mast bump” while flying the UH-1. Scarcely a whisper of spike knock was heard until transitioning into the OH-58 where the whisper quickly became a roar! Spike knock was always a serious concern if autorotation landings ended with touching down too hard on the heels of the skids. Leveling aircraft with tittering rotor systems just prior to touch down was the trick to keeping mast damage at bay. Overly steep slope landings could cause knock/mast bump as well. Thankfully never encountered that particular bogyman during 32 years of “beating the air into submission” in the military. 

• 2 weeks later...

The spike is at the bottom of the Txmsn, in its little hole, able to move around with flexes in the Txmsn mounts. However, if the Txmsn moves too far, like a heavy landing, the spike will knock against the side, and leave a mark on the spike. The metal edges are of a softer material than the spike.

spike copy.jpg

• Like 2