IFR Time: R44 vs S300

Despam

Apart from cost, does it really matter what helicopter you get your instrument rating on? One of the schools am considering offers IFR training on R44 and S300. Doing IFR training in R44 is an extra $4,000 compared to S300.

Thanks.

Comes down to your future... are you going to fly R44's or 300's... definitely more 44's out there at flight schools it seems...And the problem is you don't know which you'll do.

apart from what all the people here will say to go ahead and get it in the 44... I really don't think it matters what you do it in.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before, but anyway,...over the years I've come across 11 non-teaching jobs in the R44, and none for the S300.

If you can afford it, do it in the R44, its definitely a more widely used helicopter, which could make you more marketable?

Plus, I did my instrument training in one, and they're a lot more fun to fly!

:)

Discalaimer:

This is not a complaint about my own inability to find work as a pilot!

• Like 6

Doesn't really matter on the flying part. It comes down to money, if you can afford it, do it in the 44. If not, don't sweat it too much. I did all my training in 300's, my last job was flying 44's and I had 1 hour in them when I got it.

Doesn't really matter on the flying part. It comes down to money, if you can afford it, do it in the 44. If not, don't sweat it too much. I did all my training in 300's, my last job was flying 44's and I had 1 hour in them when I got it.

Wait! Huh? How'd you get a job in a 44 with only 1 hour? Did the company pay for you to meet the SFAR?

I will be doing Instrument Rating in the S300 since it doesn't really matter. I can use the extra $4,000 to log a few hours. Am not going the CFI route.

Thank you guys.

Wait! Huh? How'd you get a job in a 44 with only 1 hour? Did the company pay for you to meet the SFAR?

Yes.

Am not going the CFI route.

Is there a reason why you are not going the CFI route? You are about to make your life much much much harder in term of getting that first job!

Yes.

Is there a reason why you are not going the CFI route? You are about to make your life much much much harder in term of getting that first job!

Since Despam is out of Benin, the job market is much different there. Despam, you need to do what works for you. Your initial target is much different than the majority of those on this site. So just stay focused and drive on.

Yes.

The only problem I have in getting that first job is getting the money to do my training. I wanted to go the CFI route to log more hours but my pilot mentors advised me against it.

More so, there is no helicopter school in my country and in the region. So getting a CFI job is out of it. Airlines take low hours in most cases but you need some connections and luck to land that first job.

Since Despam is out of Benin, the job market is much different there. Despam, you need to do what works for you. Your initial target is much different than the majority of those on this site. So just stay focused and drive on.

Rick1128, you get it. My target is raising the money to get trained. Am sure of getting a job, once am done with my training.

Rick1128, you get it. My target is raising the money to get trained. Am sure of getting a job, once am done with my training.

If I'm reading that you are sure of getting a job when you're done with training, then, I'd say spend as little as possible to get the certificates in regards to types you will fly. There are advantages to flying different types and different rotor systems, but if you have a job lined up and money is an issue, I'd pass on the 44.

If I'm reading that you are sure of getting a job when you're done with training, then, I'd say spend as little as possible to get the certificates in regards to types you will fly. There are advantages to flying different types and different rotor systems, but if you have a job lined up and money is an issue, I'd pass on the 44.

That is what I have decided to do. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

During my recent visit to a Pilot friend, he promised introducing me to his Boss once I complete my training. Am partnering with him in some business to help raise funds for my training.

He told me also, it doesn't matter what aircraft I do my IFR training in.