WOFT Advice

Hello evreryone,

I am new to this forum, I have been reding some of the threads and they're pretty interesting and filled with great information.

I just started putting my package together and would like to get opinions on what I have so far and any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

I am a prior service Marine, I served 4 years as a C-130 mechanic. After leaving the Marine Corps I earned a B.S in aerospace engineering from Embry Riddle, afterwards, I have worked designing aircraft systems for Gulfstream, Boeing, and L-3.

I am hoping my prior service experience and engineering experience would give me the edge when it comes to getting selected, however I am not counting on it.

So far I have taken the ASVAB and I got 128 GT and 93 AFQT.

I still need to take the AFAST and APFT. I know I can get a 300 APFT.

My LORs are authored by an Army artillery LtCol, who is also an avionics instructor, a CW2 Army Aviator, a Retired Air Force Col (F-16 Pilot), and 2 aviation experts who have about 50 years of comobined experience, not pilots though. All of these people have been my co-workers, so they know me pretty well and have written pretty good LORs.

I have what I think are a couple of setbacks, One, I am 32 years old, which is still within the limits but I don't know if they will count that against me and also my college GPA is 2.5, however, the reason I got such low gpa is because I have to wok full time in order to pay for the rest of my tuition and therefore I couldn't do the homework necessary to get good grades.

Thanks in advice.

Your age is the big wall you are going to hit soon. Your experience is great, your LORs sound good. Dont worry about your GPA, college is not a requirement.

Dont wait another second, and finish your packet ASAP.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I've been told that the LORs are what gives you the edge. I would like to get a high ranking Army aviator to write a letter for me, however I don't personally know any high ranking aviators.

I know of people receiving great LORs from aviators because they interviewed with them, but I don't know how to go about contacting an Army aviator who would be interested in helping me.

Any advice on this?

Thanks,

Go to a local base, if possible, and ask. There are quite a few Warrants on here and if you approach it right maybe they can put you in touch with someone. Is how I got mine (but from a different site). Or ask the CW2 you already know if he can put you in touch with someone higher up.

Edited by t.o.n.y
  • Like 1