Retractable Landing Gear

Do they automatically deploy? The last thing you want to do as a single pilot during an auto is worry about flipping a gear handle.

I can't think of any single engine helo retracts off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Agusta 119 and 119ke have fixed gear. Agusta 109 had retracts and is a twin. The gear have to be manually lowered if both engines fail. The hydraulic pump is driven off the transmission

AW119

No, and my point being an engine failure in a retract should be a non event regarding worrying about extending the gear, now if you lose the second engine...

Emergency blow down bottle on some , it uses nitrogen to pressurize the system and force the landing gear down. The S-92 has an electric backup hyd pump that kicks on automatically in a utility hyd system loss of pressure, still allowing you pressure to use the gear. On that helo though the pumps are driven by the main gearbox, so even in engine failure, you'd still have pressure to all the hydraulic systems. I'm sure most work this way in some way.

So I was wondering a while back how retractable gear helicopters and auto's work. If you experience a power failure (granted I'm pretty sure all retractable helicopters are multi engine) does the gear automatically retract?

Do they automatically deploy? The last thing you want to do as a single pilot during an auto is worry about flipping a gear handle.

During an emergency there may not be time to lower the gear. When other than manual power is used to operate the gear, emergency means must be provided for extending the gear. However, there are no requirements for any automatic deployment. An automatic system would be optional.

The rotorcraft, although it may be damaged in emergency landing conditions must be designed as prescribed in Part 27 and Part 29 to protect the occupants under those conditions.

The helicopter structure must be designed to give each occupant every reasonable chance of escaping serious injury in a crash landing if the wheels are still retracted.

REF: 27.561, 27.729, 29.561, and 29.729

Edited by iChris