Security clearance job history question

I was hoping some of you might have some insight when it comes to figuring out dates of employment. I have had several jobs in my past and have know clue how I will be able to remember the exact dates. Can a person order a background check on yourself to get the dates that way? I would hate for my forgetfulness in that area to hinder my SC process. Also do they call every employer? And is it just to verify I was indeed there? Thanks in advance.

Do the best you can. Ask your parents/whatever for some assistance. Depending on the size of the company, you should be able to call them and ask what their records show.

As long as you're not purposefully withholding information, or misrepresenting where/when you worked somewhere, you'll be fine.

Suggest making a file that shows this stuff from now on. Addresses you live at as well might be helpful. (You never know when you'll need this stuff again... applying for a LEO job comes to mind...)

I believe you can get your tax records from the IRS, which should have dates of employment on them as well as the company worked for, and salary info. Maybe someone else can clarify.

I am thinking of doing this because my memory is fuzzy on a couple things.

EDIT: Charyoutree: If there is a discrepancy in the paperwork is it not a big deal? What I mean is do people get pulled from flight school if there are a couple dates wrong, or you forgot to list a job or something? Basically, since they want to retain people they aren't going to try and get rid of you? Thanks

I believe you can get your tax records from the IRS, which should have dates of employment on them as well as the company worked for, and salary info. Maybe someone else can clarify.

I am thinking of doing this because my memory is fuzzy on a couple things.

EDIT: Charyoutree: If there is a discrepancy in the paperwork is it not a big deal? What I mean is do people get pulled from flight school if there are a couple dates wrong, or you forgot to list a job or something? Basically, since they want to retain people they aren't going to try and get rid of you? Thanks

I would still go about doing the best you can, and who knows what they're doing day to day, but if there was a discrepancy, they're going to bring you in to ask about it, first. They're not going to just remove you, no questions asked. You may also be able to go see your local unemployment office. Coming off my first deployment, I went in, and I saw my last three (non mil) jobs sitting there on screen 1. One of which I only worked at for a week. They probably have a pretty good listing of the places you worked. You should be able to build a fairly accurate picture of your work places. What they're worried about is your honesty/risk you're going to be blackmailed or bought off for secrets. Not so much if you're a little fuzzy on some dates that you worked at places. Try to at least get the month close? (In my case I was able to piece it together with OTHER dates. Like a Sudoku puzzle... "Well...I KNOW I worked here first, and started there then....so I must have stopped working there...." That kind of thing.)

I'm not sure about the exact process, but I think how deep they go is dependent on what they see the first few steps. When I was in AIT, there were some guys that had to go see someone, no big deal. They answered a few questions, and had their clearance soon. I never heard anything. I just...had it. I know no one in my references was called, that's all I can say for certain.

For a Top Secret though, they DO make personal visits to your references and build additional references from those people. Nothing you have to worry about for flight school, though.

• Like 1

As long as you don't have a criminal history, lots of relatives living outside the US, or serious financial problems I don't think you'll have an issue getting a secret clearance, no matter how far off your employment history dates are.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My SF86 is full of estimates. As long as you know the month and year you can guess at the day. I have done this for employment, places of residence and out of country travels. This becomes especially true for when a reference knew you. How can you possibly know the exact date of when you meet your best friend Joe?

My advice, once you have completed your SF86, keep a hard copy at all times. As things change make notes on it to have for future updates. It makes the renewal process much easier.