Looking for another 300C

nightsta1ker

We need another S300C, preferably 1995 or newer and in good shape with at least 1000 hours on components and a recent engine overhaul.

Please PM me if you have any leads.

Thanks!

Two of them for sale reasonably if you check out controller.com

Two of them for sale reasonably if you check out controller.com

Thanks, Goldy, we are already in touch with the sellers. We are also discussing the possibility of just getting a brand new 2012 Sikorsky 300C. I'm just keeping my eye out for possible deals. Obviously, the cheaper the aircraft sale price, the less time it has left on major components, and we all know that an assembled helicopter, new, is cheaper than the sum of it's parts. I just need to figure out if it will really be a good financial decision. There are lots of factors to consider, including the 'curb appeal' of having a nice shiny new aircraft.

If you're just going for instruction and not rental, then there's probably not a lot of selling power in a new aircraft. There are depreciation and tax advantages, but unless your business exists such that you can take advantage of them, it's not worth the liability of buying new.

If you do buy new and can't sustain the payments, or in the long run, you're stuck with a very expensive liability. Your'e also stuck with a more marketable aircraft, but you may not get out of it what you owe, depending on where you are in the payments. Where businesses in aviation don't tend to last, getting stuck too far into an expensive aircraft, especially one that's not drawing down a lot of revenue (rentals and instruction combined don't equate to a big income), it's a big risk to take on something that expensive.

• Like 1

If you're just going for instruction and not rental, then there's probably not a lot of selling power in a new aircraft. There are depreciation and tax advantages, but unless your business exists such that you can take advantage of them, it's not worth the liability of buying new.

If you do buy new and can't sustain the payments, or in the long run, you're stuck with a very expensive liability. Your'e also stuck with a more marketable aircraft, but you may not get out of it what you owe, depending on where you are in the payments. Where businesses in aviation don't tend to last, getting stuck too far into an expensive aircraft, especially one that's not drawing down a lot of revenue (rentals and instruction combined don't equate to a big income), it's a big risk to take on something that expensive.

This has already been taken into consideration, but I appreciate the words of wisdom anyway. It would not be smart to discuss financial details on the web. We are just looking for the most bang for our buck at this point. I know there are more aircraft on the market than are necessarily advertised on Controller.com or any of the other websites, which is why I posted here. I have already gotten a few PM's (thanks guys). If you happen to know anyone (dealers or private owners) that are selling or thinking about selling their 300C, have them contact me please.

By the way, we do rent as well as provide instruction. Renting is a big selling point for a school these days. It would be stupid to open a school with a 300 and not let your customers rent.

Yes, just so you know, I would be more than happy to come fly your 2012 300. ;)

Come on up and fly with us any time!

Edited for better choice of words.

Edited by nightsta1ker

A lot of schools do rent, but rental doesn't pay well. Not like putting the aircraft out there in a utility role. Accordingly, the return on the investment for rental/instruction is minimal, even if it's got regular scheduling. The profit margin is lower certainly per flight hour, and per day.

A new aircraft doesn't attract more students; that is, students are more likely to come to a school that offers employment after training, or that has high marks from other students, or that's well recognized in the industry, vs. simply going somewhere with new equipment. Cost is always a major factor in a student's decision to train.

Unless one has exceptionally large operating capital, a good used purchase is nearly always the way to go.

I'm not trying to save you from anything. It's your investment and your choice. Whether you buy new or used, Robinson or Schweitzer, rent or charter, or do anything else doesn't impact me in the slightest.

As a business owner or participant, or part time instructor concerned with the direction of the school. you'll make the choice you think is best, given your financial options and business aims. What I have to say won't have a thing to do with it. Never the less, you posted here, and by the nature of posting on a public board, invited comment, for whatever it's worth.

Never the less, you posted here, and by the nature of posting on a public board, invited comment, for whatever it's worth.

That you did, and it will be taken into consideration.

I'm not trying to save you from anything. It's your investment and your choice. Whether you buy new or used, Robinson or Schweitzer, rent or charter, or do anything else doesn't impact me in the slightest.

Thanks for clarifying that.

• 3 weeks later...