Im looking at going into the national guard SMP program with ROTC however I need to select a normal enlisted job to serve before I get my commission. 15g, 15h, 15p are currently open at my local unit. What do these jobs really do and which one would be the biggest help in either trying to branch aviation after ROTC or to submit a warrant officer packet? Also what do they do day to day, I know what the job description says but sometimes those tend to stretch the truth haha. Thanks for the help gentlemen

• Like 1

No matter what you do in the guard, if you only do the one weekend a month stuff youll rarely ever do your actual job... If you go AGR then you do your job 4 days a week 8 to 5. At least thats what i was told by friends. Any aviation job helps to do woft but its not required. Theres plenty of infantry, radio, other mos that get woft. Of those you stated i think id pick 15p.

Sheetmetal, pneudraulics, or operations...

If you have no desire to have something you can do on the outside as a backup (like be an A&P, or whatever) then go 15P. Of the other two...decide which you'd rather do, but they're longer schools. 15P is only 6 weeks.

Under no circumstances do 15H, pneudraulics. The pneudraulics never break on the helicopters, and your squad is always nicknamed the detail squad. Any Sh**y little detail that has to be done will be done by the pneudraulics guys, because they never have an excuse of being busy. In my 6 years in shops platoon, I never seen one single work order come in for pneudraulics. On the rare occasions they broke, they were repaired by the contractors because nobody had any confidnece that the pneudraulics guys could fix anything, seeing how they haven't fixed a line in their career. Those guys were constantly cutting the grass, cleaning the latrines, inventorying supply, pulling staff duty, you name it. They hated their lifes.

Go sheetmetal, they have some pretty cool tools, and because of the jackasses like me, they are constantly repairing the sheetmetal due to dropped tools, stepping on the "not a step" areas, and they are in charge of making really cool trophies and plaques for when people leave.

That's been my experience as well. I can't recall ever working with a pneudralics guy. Maybe they do more at a higher level maintenance unit but I've never even seen one at a line unit. Sheet metal stays busy. I'd never want to do 15P but a different personality may like it. They probably have the most interaction with pilots if that means anything. It's a lot of admin work though. I'd rather be doing technical work.