Equivalent LORs

As I have posted in some other threads I am active duty Navy but applying to the WOFT program. A question I have been trying to get an answer to is what points in my chain of command would be equivalent to the Armys company commander and battalion commander? I spoke with one of the SFCs at the warrant officer recruiting station Fort Bragg and he told me a first and second level UCMJ authority. I am part of Base police which is a small command at a Naval air station that falls under the overall base CO. This would make the first level the Base Co (o-6) and the second level the region comandante (o-7) neither of which i work with directly. My COC has already told me that a LOR from the admiral of the region would be unrealistic. So im not sure if this is just a disconnect in information between branches or what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also if this helps my department upper COC consist of a Leading petty officer(E-6) Leading chief petty officer and dept chief petty officer both (E-7) a dept Master Chief (E-9) and the security officer (o-3) of which i work directly under. thanks in advance for any help guys!!

thats what I thought and my COC is nuking it big time. They told me since in our COC the o-3 does not have UCMJ authority to punish enlisted it makes the 0-6 first level and the o-7 second. there was no way i was gonna be able to get a LOR from an admiral!!! I just dont wanna put the wrong information in my packet and give myself the best possible chance!

Kind of?

So I went to an Army recruiter and told him what I wanted to do. I had all my paper work in order and I was good to go. He told me that I had to go through the civilian process since I wasn't active Army. I tried to tell him that according to my research that was incorrect. Being that I was an E-3 trying to tell an E-7 that he was mistaken..well, yeah...I ended up redoing all my paper work to go through the civilian side.

So in November I'm selected and I go to MEPS to sign my paperwork. They said they can't sign me because my ETS date is more than 6 months away. So I go back to my base, request an early separation. My CC approves it, my MSG CC approves it, and the Base Commander approves it(I want you to imagine how difficult it is to get a base General to approve a separation). So its all done at it's at personnel to get approved.

Then I get a phone call from the recruiter. He told me I had to stop the early separation paperwork and that I should have been boarded as active duty since they already have a system in place to bring me over. Awesome. Did you know to stop an early separation then entire chain has to approve that also? So now I have a General wanting to know why I don't have any idea what I'm trying to do with my career, there was some kickback from my leadership on that one.

So I got an exception to policy letter to board in January even though my packet wasn't submitted until Jan 7th. I'm waiting on the results now.

So even though I've been accepted by USAREC I'm not guaranteed to be accepted again.

Damn sorry to hear that...thats what im trying to avoid and i researched alot and even drove 3 hours to go to one of the warrant officer briefs at an army base. My COC wouldnt give me my DD 368 because it would have left a "possible" 2 month gap in service if was picked up on the january board so they made me hold off until the process will line up with my EAOS and not cause a gapped billet due to "manning" even though the navy has been using PTS to down size. So I have had to start my process over and scrap my afast score and CW4 LOR since he is no longer stationed at the Test pilot school here. frustrating but im not giving up so I know how you feel in a sense besides the being selected and then told it doesnt count. I know that must have given you a sickening feeling. Im also lower enlisted E-4 and not getting full support one of chiefs actually said to me about the command LORs " this is becoming alot of hoops to jump through" and asked me if i could just do this after I got out of the navy...kinda bugged me but i just let it roll off and have kept at it!!

• Like 1

I've been really lucky that have full support of my Superintendent(E-8) and he has been really working with me to make this a reality(He had to call our functional Chief at the Pentagon to get my clearance to get my DD368 signed). But he did tell me that I need to hurry up and get in because he's been using all his built up owed favors to help this process go smoothly, lol.

I was USAF as well. My LORs were from an O4 and O5. Was not a problem.

So lets say tomorrow I get picked up on the Active duty boards, what is the process of switching over like? Do I just get orders cut from AFPC?

I was told by the CW2 recruiter at fort bragg once you are selected you get some other form that goes along with the DD368 that your COC/CO has to sign off and send to personnel HQ which for us is MILPERS and then once it processed the army can cut your report dates for WOCS im still fuzzy on the details cuz it was about 3 months ago and then the process was put on hold for me as i explained...but hopefully that gives you a general idea?

Yes...in a way. You have to wait for your RFO (Request for Orders) from the Army. Once you have them you go on vMPF under separations and go through the process. It's pretty straight forward. There will be an option for Officer producing program under reason and it will ask you to upload your RFO. They are actually pretty quick on processing it. I think I had mine in 3-4 days.