What kind of E6B do you use?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of E6B do you use?

• Traditional E6B
    • Electronic Standalone E6B (Sportys)
    • Ipad/Iphone/Android App E6B
    • Only My Brain E6B
    • What's an E6B?
    • I have too much trouble controlling a helicopter to worry about petty calculations.

My main concern about having all the manuals, charts, and everything else on a tablet is this: what do you do if you drop the thing and break it? You have no manuals, and thus you aren't legal. How is this going to work?

Works fine. My former employer issued all the manuals (around 10,000 pages of documents) on disc, and everyone carried a disc. We kept a disc in the aircraft (and two computers there. We all carried our own. Never a problem. We also had had copies of certain key documents (AOM, Ops manual, etc) on board.

My present employer has issued ipads. I have an E6B program on that, foreflight, etc. Aircraft manuals in .pdf. All the charts, VFR and IFR, and all procedures, on the ipad. All weather products available in the field, and able to flight plan, watch radar, check TFR's, etc, while sitting in the cockpit. Mine is in a Lifeproof case; it affords shock protection, water resistance, etc. I've got a screen protector, and a RAM mount to go in the aircraft. Handy stuff.

Off topic (nothing new for me really), but are you guys using the iPad as an EFB? My company is trying to go paperless too, but don't quite have it all ironed out and if you have any app info that could help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks....

My company still orders paper pubs. In HEMS we have very little need for paper or electronic pubs since we pretty much have our area memorized. I think I've reached into the pubs bag maybe twice to reference something. Don't require a a paper or iPad map because the Chelton provides an excellent one. If that breaks then I've got a 430 backup. I use my iPhone at intermediate stops to update wx.

In my case it's handy because the aircraft to which I'm assigned at the moment has exactly 0 navigational equipment. Not a VOR, not an NDB. A wiskey compass, and that is it. The wiskey compass flies around about 60 degrees each way with each snap of the strobe, so it's entertaining at best.

My company still orders paper pubs. In HEMS we have very little need for paper or electronic pubs since we pretty much have our area memorized. I think I've reached into the pubs bag maybe twice to reference something. Don't require a a paper or iPad map because the Chelton provides an excellent one. If that breaks then I've got a 430 backup. I use my iPhone at intermediate stops to update wx.

Yeah, my company does fires, offshore both Alaska and Gom, EMS, tours and light utility. So we are all over the place pubs wise. I have a personal ipad but we are looking into issuing to the pilots or assigning them to tail numbers. Of course there are battery issues and the possibility of breaking them, but they can also be updated remotely so you always have the latest pubs and theres no papers flying outside the aircraft nor big charts being unfolded in the cockpit.

Back on topic... I actually had a use for an E6B on yesterday's flight. I left without grabbing my kneeboard and I needed to compute a PNR so I used the other pilots mini E6B. Very handy. Ordinarily I just do the math, but without the notes on my kneeboard, I didn't trust myself.

Yeah, my company does fires, offshore both Alaska and Gom, EMS, tours and light utility. So we are all over the place pubs wise. I have a personal ipad but we are looking into issuing to the pilots or assigning them to tail numbers. Of course there are battery issues and the possibility of breaking them, but they can also be updated remotely so you always have the latest pubs and theres no papers flying outside the aircraft nor big charts being unfolded in the cockpit.

Back off topic:

We debated getting one iPad per aircraft, then the question became, "who's responsibility is it to keep it updated and charged?" Operations? maintenance? So in the end, we just issued one to each pilot. It is then the pilot's responsibility to show up for a flight with a charged, current iPad ready to go.

Also, email the Foreflight people before you buy any subscriptions. They have the multiple account process refined now. One person, Chief Pilot or DO, will be the master account holder and can issue invitations, via email link, to the individual pilots. If a pilot leaves, that subscription can be deactivated and reissued to a new pilot. They will also give you a discount based on the number of subscriptions you purchase. In the end, it was MUCH cheaper for us to go with the Foreflight vs. paper charts. Plus, it is a lot easier; operations was not throwing away paper charts out of the aircraft.

OK, back to the E6B topic. Thanks,

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Somewhere in my stack of stuff I have a full sized E6B, and a mini version. I once saw a watch that had an E6B face on it. Sportys or something of the like. I was tempted to buy it for nostalgia's sake.

Somewhere in my aviation travels I saw a giant chalkboard sized E6B for use in a classroom. I think that would make a great conversation piece.

I have a couple of traditional E6B, the original from flight school (somewhere around here) and a metal one somewhat compact. There are a couple of Sporty's electronic E6Bs around here. I never found them quite easy to use. I have 4 watches which have E6Bs on them as well. Other than the theme, I find them useless.

Of course, how can you tell he's a pilot? Check the size of his watch!

I have a couple of traditional E6B, the original from flight school (somewhere around here) and a metal one somewhat compact. There are a couple of Sporty's electronic E6Bs around here. I never found them quite easy to use. I have 4 watches which have E6Bs on them as well. Other than the theme, I find them useless.

Of course, how can you tell he's a pilot? Check the size of his watch!

Sometimes, if you are the least bit patient...he'll tell you.