What kind of E6B do you use?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of E6B do you use?

• Traditional E6B
    • Electronic Standalone E6B (Sportys)
    • Ipad/Iphone/Android App E6B
    • Only My Brain E6B
    • What's an E6B?
    • I have too much trouble controlling a helicopter to worry about petty calculations.

Curious as to the progression of the E6B in the helicopter environment. I've neglected to use my more traditional E6B and have exclusively used my Sportys one for a long time. Thinking of dusting off the traditional one and trying to figure out how to do all of the calculations on it.

Will it ever become obsolete? Do examiners still prefer it?

I dont carry one in the helicopter. Its has a GPS and an Aero Computers LE5000. In the airplane, I have a traditional one along with a plotter and some pencils in the glove box. The airplane is fully GPS/Auto pilot equipped, with some decent redundancy so if the time ever came to bust out the E6B, that means something really bad happened.

Edited by Flying Pig

Can't remember the last time I used one! I used to like using the trad one though. Such a cool instrument. We used the CX2 in flight school.

Even during my training, I didn't seem to need the calculations I had come up with using mine (the traditional one, ASA, I think?). We fly so low that good old pilotage seems to work just fine (unless you're flying over completely featureless terrain, or water I guess), especially with that measly 25nm distance equaling a xc flight!

I think we'll always have to learn how to use the old one (although I'd be interested in knowing if you still have to learn how to use a sextant to get a boat pilots license?). VORs, on the other hand! I think there may come a day when they're all gone?

I started with the old traditional E6B 22 years ago as a fixed wing stu, bought a large format Sporty's electronic, went with a new metal E6B, then was given a CX-2. Still use the wizz wheel. Since I've been working on my Helicopter add on, the instructor expects me to use the wizz wheel.

And if you look on my desk, there's a slide rule there too!

I still have one somewhere. I learned to use it as part of my Sanderson/Jeppeson private pilot study package. They taught wind dot up method for determining the winds. Some years later I learned an alternate method taught by the USN of wind dot down.

I haven't used one, of any type, since flight school, >40 years ago. I can do the calculations I need in my head a lot faster than it takes to pull one out, and I can come close enough. You don't need times to the exact minute, nor fuel to the pint, and even if you do calculate that closely, it won't be accurate anyway, because the winds are never constant. Even in the Gulf, before GPS, I figured headings and times by just looking at the water and making a SWAG, and it always came out close enough. In a helicopter, you aren't going to be making a trip of thousands of miles, so if you can't do it without a calculator, I'm not sure you should be doing it at all.

• Like 1

I don't use one very often. Most of my calculations have been through a FMS, or more often, in my head.

I've carried a small aluminum E6B quite a bit in the field, and I've used it on long trips. I used one during an atlantic crossing to make corrections during a nav data loss and have used it for various functions on a regular basis for years.

I've got a handy E6B program on my phone at ipad at the moment. I'm using a company-issued ipad with the foreflight for domestic use; so far so good. The E6B is more about preflight calculations, if anything...not much in flight.

I have not used an E6B in over 20 years. Like others above have stated, between the GPS and quick mental calculations, I have survived. I still have an old metal one somewhere????

I've got a handy E6B program on my phone at ipad at the moment. I'm using a company-issued ipad with the foreflight for domestic use; so far so good. The E6B is more about preflight calculations, if anything...not much in flight.

Avbug, which App are you using? I was thinking about downloading one on my iPad just to have..... I am also using a company issued iPad and foreflight. We no longer have any paper charts in the aircraft.

Anybody know of any good weight and balance apps for the Bell 206B, B206L-4 and the B407? I have a really good excel spreadsheet program, but that is on my laptop computer. It would be nice to have one on the iPad for our aircraft.

Thanks,

C of G,

Yes we went totally paperless to an EFB about November 2011. We were all a little more than apprehensive about it and just bought one as a test for a few months. But, once you do it, you will never go back!

We are a Part 91 operation, so it is much easier to do. However, you will need to referance AC 91-78 and AC 120-76A. Also, FAA InFO #11011 approved the Apple iPad as a suitable Class 1 EFB device.

C of G,

Yes we went totally paperless to an EFB about November 2011. We were all a little more than apprehensive about it and just bought one as a test for a few months. But, once you do it, you will never go back!

We are a Part 91 operation, so it is much easier to do. However, you will need to referance AC 91-78 and AC 120-76A. Also, FAA InFO #11011 approved the Apple iPad as a suitable Class 1 EFB device.

Thanks, we're 135 with varied operations, but I'll look into those references and pass them on. Thanks....

Also, go with the new iPad Mini. The traditional iPad is just a little too large for a knee strap. We have all tried it and none of us liked it there. Too big. One of our pilots purchased a suction-cup mount from Sporty's that he uses. He puts it on the bottom right hand corner of the windshield. Works great during the day, but he has to take it down at night with NVG's. I simply put the iPad between my left leg and the center console. When I need it, just reach down with my left hand and there it is.

But looking at the new iPad mini at the store.... that will be the way to go. It should be the perfect size for a kneeboard. We will probably "upgrade" to those in a year or so.

I have on of those giant whiz wheels somewhere at the base. Mostly, EMS isn't a good environment for detailed flight calculations... I "SWAG it" as others have posted. One gets pretty good at it if you can imagine the wind triangle in your head.

My main concern about having all the manuals, charts, and everything else on a tablet is this: what do you do if you drop the thing and break it? You have no manuals, and thus you aren't legal. How is this going to work?

We don't have the manuals and POH on the iPad; those are still traditional paper so no worries about breaking them. Although you could download them as a PDF document to the iPad and have an electronic version.

Dropping and breaking the iPad is a real concern. $69.00 otter boxes were good investments. I have dropped mine several times with no problems. Also, we all have iPhones. You can download the same apps and info on your phone with the subscription from Foreflight. So, although it would be a bear to read and get the info, you would be legal for flight back to base.

My main concern about having all the manuals, charts, and everything else on a tablet is this: what do you do if you drop the thing and break it? You have no manuals, and thus you aren't legal. How is this going to work?

Are you saying that some are replacing the flight manual that must be in the aircraft with their tablet?

...and what the hell is a cx-2?,...when I google it all I get is pictures of toy choppers and cameras! Wizz wheel, wind triangles,...where are you guys getting this stuff?