Those of you who use Ipads....enter please.

Rotortramp

Hey guys just ordered the new Ipad Mini Retina! I was all set on getting ForeFlight but then I realized you have to use the Sectional for moving map! For me this is a huge negative as Garmin Pilot has dynamic maps that let you apply filters to the map such as only show airspace, and be able to add user way points on the fly. So I guess Im going to go with Garmin Pilot. Does anyone else think this is annoying that ForeFlight forces you to use uneditable/user filtered sectional maps?

Doesn't bother me as I have been using sectionals and terminals all my flying life. ForeFlight allows waypoints on the fly. Quite easy.

• Like 1

I just flew 22 hours over 4 days on a long XC in an EC-130 with the iPad Mini running ForeFlight with the App Strap. I'm sold. I use the smart cover with a large format sticky to write notes on. The case I use is a Speck SmartShell which is compatible with the Smart Cover. I like the idea of the device just being velcro'ed on so it's easily detachable when you want.

Now...IF ONLY....Garmin would come up with a solution to bluetooth sync a flight plan across Fore Flight into the GTN 650, 750 products then I would be in heaven.

If Garmin were to do that, they would do it with Garmin Pilot app first. I know they do it with their D2 watch and Garmin Pilot already, so cross fill between iPad and GTN may not be too far off. Seems like a certification nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... well I am one of the most anti-apple people out there, and I have just bought an ipad mini retina wifi/cellular 128 GB for the sole purpose of running Foreflight IFR/VFR Canada/USA (pro) as well as Topo Charts (Canada) and marine charts ( I fly fixed-wing, (floats, skis, VFR, IFR, single/multi) and helicopters VFR/IFR).

Despite the Cellular version having GPS, after extensive research I also purchased the Dual XGPS 160 because of it's Android capability (I'm an android gal) and as well it supports Glonass and WAAS. Internal GPS does not provide the same level of accuracy as an external unit, plus when flying in remote areas WAAS/Glonass a huge plus.

How did this impossible thing happen? Simple! I might be stubborn, but I'm not stupid!

I had planned on purchasing a Garmin unit (long time customer), however after many hours of research I realized that not even the pricey 795 or 695 could provide the capabilities I require and in fact both are seriously lacking for $$ spent. Garmin has discontinued all the previously popular 296, 376, 476 units and the new units are not multifunctional (IFR, VFR land/marine).

I did send a nasty email to NavCanada because they will not proived electronic VNC data to Garmin (or anyone else for that matter), however they will provide this long overdue data to a non-aviation manufacturer (Apple).

In the meantime (until an Android platform offers the same capabilities), I settled on Foreflight after extensive research. To run it, I wanted to be able to cache the entire IFR/VFR content of Canada/US plus run topo, marine and other apps so I opted for 128GB. And I am very happy with the Dual XGPS160.

QUESTION! I am in need of a resting place for my navigational arsenal! I have looked at many options and have decided I would prefer a kneeboard mount, with "on the fly" rotational capability, and tilt. So far no real contenders! I didn't like any of the options that had four courners of stretchy elastic, or an external case with velcro. I did look at my mini clip: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/19347

and the App strapp (mini) http://www.theappstrap.com/store/ipad-mini-main-3/ but neither offer "on the fly rotation" and the app strap only offers manual tilt (components could become lost).

I am (was?) deeply interested in the AirGizmo: http://www.banyanpilotshop.net/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=AirGizmo-iPad-Mini-Knee-Dock but it is very pricey and the manufacturer does not seem to respond to email queries - specifically wanted to know about "on the fly" rotational capabilty. As well, the only review I could find for their product was for the full ipad, and the reviewer complained the leg strap had no stretch elastic and therefore did not retain to the leg. No response to my query regarding either question.

Any reviews, feedback and/or recommendation as to knee mounting options? And no, the OttoPilot looks too cumbersome!

Thanks!

tin lizzie

Further to the above, in the 24 hours or so it took for this new user to get "approved" I pressed on with my research and phoned Air Gizmos in Texas. For anyone else that is interested, he says they do respond to emails sent to Max@airgizmos.com,

I questioned Max about the mounting, and in fact it does have stretchy leg elastic. It does rotate from portrait to landscape but you have to unclip/reclip. He said they have tried several options for "on the fly" rotation but the mechanisms they came up with added too much height to the unit. The variable tilt feature, that does not require the use of fixed pad sizes that could become lost is a prime feature, as well as the frame that grabs the unit is not a case.

I did discover though that the current unit does not fit the retina version of the ipad mini (which is very slightly thicker), that model is in production and should be available in two weeks. Apparently both units are tight tolerance and will not accomodate any sort of case or skin. Other than something waterproof for transport and occasional line use I don't think I'm too interested in a case at this point.

Here is the manufacturer's link: http://www.airgizmos.com/Knee-Docks_c_13.html

Ram is the only manufacturer that I have been able to locate so far that has rotate/tilt on the fly capability, and their model only fits the full ipad. They will be getting an email this afternoon.

Anybody else? Please share what you're using!

I havent needed or fixated on rotational cases. Flying helicopter, a wider profile is not what I wanted on my leg, and exactly why I went with the mini in the first place.

I used and still use the ultimate kneeboard made by Harper Aviation. www.harper-Aviation.com

They now make an iPad version, but I found their regular version with a custom cordura nylon page worked better.post-39606-0-69283500-1386484091_thumb.jpg

I use the Speck brand case to protect the iPad, and it has done well. The custom page I had made using the clear sleeve as a template. It allows the case cover to slide through and lock back into place securing the iPad to the kneeboard. I can safely flip it over to access paper charts, or notes as needed and return it in place when I am done. The clear transparent strap on the kneeboard has no negative effect on the touch-ability of the kneepad.

• 8 months later...