IFR certified GPS

How can you tell if the GPS installed in a helicopter is "IFR approved"?

I understand it has to meet the appropriate TSO and have been installed in accordance with the appropriate AC. Where are those things documented though? For example, if I get into an R-44 and see a Garmin GNS430 mounted, what is the best way to verify it's a GNS430W and is WAAS certified. I don't recall being able to tell by looking at the unit, and I also don't recall seeing it mentioned in the helicopter's RFM.

I realize the R-44 isn't approved for IFR flight, but for the purposes of instrument training we can "pretend" it is. Also, where do most people log the installation of the current database into the GPS? Schools teach to check the logbooks for the normal IFR equipment (pitot-static inspection, transponder, altimeter, and VOR), but I don't recall ever seeing logbook entries for the GPS database. Or does the fact that the GPS displays the currency of its database serve the same purpose?

I understand it has to meet the appropriate TSO and have been installed in accordance with the appropriate AC. Where are those things documented though? For example, if I get into an R-44 and see a Garmin GNS430 mounted, what is the best way to verify it's a GNS430W and is WAAS certified. I don't recall being able to tell by looking at the unit, and I also don't recall seeing it mentioned in the helicopter's RFM.

TSO-C129 (A1) (A2)

TSO-C129a, AIRBORNE SUPPLEMENTAL NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT USING THE GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM (GPS)

In the example logbook entry you can see the GNS 430 was upgrade to IFR status to meet TSO C129A[1]: That's one way you can find it, in the maintenance logbook.

Note: The log also documents that the GNS 430 Flight Manual Supplement was added to the RFM.

PagesfromAvionics-1_zpsf046e136.jpg

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

I realize the R-44 isn't approved for IFR flight, but for the purposes of instrument training we can "pretend" it is. Also, where do most people log the installation of the current database into the GPS? Schools teach to check the logbooks for the normal IFR equipment (pitot-static inspection, transponder, altimeter, and VOR), but I don't recall ever seeing logbook entries for the GPS database. Or does the fact that the GPS displays the currency of its database serve the same purpose?

Your RFM should have an equipment supplement showing the installation of the GPS. We have one showing the installation of our Garmin 530W and the 337 form. Other optional things like our EFIS and TCAD are specifically listed as well.

I suppose your maintenance guys could log the database update but currency isn't necessarily required for IFR flight. Check your RFM for the wording. Ours says "IFR enroute and terminal navigation is prohibited unless the pilot verifies the currency of the database OR verifies each selected waypoint for accuracy by reference to current approved data." This is the general statement for GPSs but it varies by type. So, like I said, check your RFM for your particular one.

AOPA has an excellent online class on IFR GPS ops. It should answer any questions you might have on GPS stuff.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 2

When you start up the 430, it'll show you whether or not its a WAAS system, other than looking in the log books, there is no way of telling physically.

Also, it'll show you if your databases are up to date, which is the only place that it needs to be shown. You don't need to 'log' it anywhere to be IFR certified, but it does need to be updated regularly if you intend to fly IFR, every 28 days.

Many 135 operators have procedures in place to log the updates for their GPS. Usually this is to meet mandates imposed by the FSDO.

As for the GPS unit being IFR approved or not. The flight manual supplements will show that and the 337 should show that the required testing was conducted and was within limits.

For an aircraft that is not Ifr certified it won't make any difference if it is approved or not or waas or not. The receiver will list it's TSO on the back of the unit if you pull it out. Another part of your question pertaining to its installation can be answered by seeing a logbook entry that the receiver was installed and tested. The garmin series should have a 337 filed with its stc and a poh supplement to be "approved" even though the aircraft isnt

Thanks for the responses. I might go ask the maintenance guys at the school here to see if they have the STC or Form 337 for the 430W installation. Also, might look at the airframe logbook closer to see if the installation is noted there. Like I said, last time I flew I looked through every page of the RFM and there was nothing about the GPS other than it being listed under the W&B section. No supplements or anything that mentioned the TSO.

I must've been mistaken about having to log the database updates. Can't remember where I was reading that, but it must've been something 135 or company specific.

Is it possible that the aircraft was certified with said GPS during FAA certification? Meaning it is part of the standard equipment. Thus there may not be an STC for it in the RFM. STCs are normally for optional equipment that has been installed. For example, I have a pulse light installed, there is an STC for that in the my RFM.

The EC135 standard equipment is minimal and with many options for additional equipment. There are so many STCs for that aircraft that we have a total of two volumes to the RFM.

A note on STCs. It is important to refer to them. There may be additional performance limitations or emergency procedures a pilot has to comply with. Those limitations and procedures would only be found in the STC and not in the Emergency Procedures or limitations section of the RFM. Often if there is equipment installed there are additional performance charts. Some times a pilot may need to use one from the RFM performance section or refer to the STC. All based on equipment installed and other factors.

Fun huh?

Thanks for the responses. I might go ask the maintenance guys at the school here to see if they have the STC or Form 337 for the 430W installation. Also, might look at the airframe logbook closer to see if the installation is noted there. Like I said, last time I flew I looked through every page of the RFM and there was nothing about the GPS other than it being listed under the W&B section. No supplements or anything that mentioned the TSO.

I must've been mistaken about having to log the database updates. Can't remember where I was reading that, but it must've been something 135 or company specific.

The FAA in the past had considered removal and re-installation of those data cards to be a maintenance function. A new rule was published changing that, thus the pilots can now remove, update and replace said cards. This is more an issue for Part 135. As such a notation was required then in the aircraft maintenance records. As another poster said, each company should have a procedure for this in their GOM. Companies that do not regularly update their GPS need not worry.

You’re part of a flight school operating their aircraft under Part 91. Most of those type schools are normally weak on the paperwork. Some don’t even have a full time A&Ps and they don’t always update or keep current the RFM and RFM Supplements. You should have a copy of the STC SR02232LA and an approval flight manual supplement for the Garmin GNS 430 in your flight manual. In fact a supplement is listed for the R44 in the Model list below, which is part of the STC. Those first two documents have most of what you’re looking for and should also be somewhere at your school.

The last three documents are examples of a Rotorcraft Flight Manual Supplement for the GNS 400W series in the Bell 206, example maintenance log entries, and example 337 for a GNS430 install. You’ll see an entry on a software update to the GNS430 in the log. However, as stated in post above, as the pilot you can perform firmware/software update yourself as preventive maintenance under Part 43.

Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance

[c]Preventive maintenance:

[31] Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

STC SR02232LA

FAA Approved Models List STC SR02232LA

Example Flight Manual Supplement Garmin GNS 400W Series Bell 206

Example Maintenance Log Entries

Example 337 Installation of Garmin GNS430

400W Series Rotorcraft Instructions for Continued Airworthiness

Edited by iChris

Even if the unit was installed at the factory, there will be a supplement for the unit in the flight manual. Or as a supplement to the flight manual. Some supplements are so large that they fill a binder in and of themselves. It has been my understanding that if the supplement is not in the aircraft, preferably in the flight manual, the aircraft is not airworthy. That is one of the reasons that when have been in management position, I have made copies of every supplement in all the aircraft flight manuals.

For a VFR aircraft, having WAAS is not legally important, however, if you are conducting instrument training in that aircraft, it can be come quite important from an instructional standpoint.

Like I said, last time I flew I looked through every page of the RFM and there was nothing about the GPS other than it being listed under the W&B section. No supplements or anything that mentioned the TSO.

My understanding that if the supplement is not in the aircraft, preferably in the flight manual, the aircraft is not airworthy. That is one of the reasons that when have been in management position, I have made copies of every supplement in all the aircraft flight manuals.

That’s correct, the aircraft doesn’t comply with its type design as modified by the STC. The Flight Manual Supplement is listed as part of the design change on the STC “Description of Type Design Change.”

There are more than a few indifferent, unconcerned, lackadaisical operations out there. It’s not surprising to see installations with no paperwork at all. The Flight Manual Supplement also states the following:

This document serves as a Rotorcraft Flight Manual Supplement when the rotorcraft is equipped with the Garmin 400W Series unit. This document must be carried in the rotorcraft at all times when the Garmin 400W Series unit is installed in accordance with STC SR02232LA.

The information contained herein supplements or supersedes the information made available to the operator by the manufacturer in the form of clearly stated placards, markings, or manuals or in the form of an FAA approved Rotorcraft Flight Manual, only in those areas listed herein. For limitations, procedures and performance information not contained in this document, consult the basic placards, markings, or manuals or the basic FAA approved Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

Edited by iChris

STCs are approved by the FAA to allow someone to make a change to the original design of the aircraft. The STC includes not only the modification but also how that modification affects the aircraft.

I do not recal seeing an STC for the Garmin GPS that were installed in the R22 and R44 I flew. However, that was so long ago. Is it possible that the Robinson original design includes the GPS and was certified that way? As such there would not be an STC issued. Early models of the aircraft with out GPS the retrofitted with them should have an STC for them.

In the case of my A109a I fly, it was certified before the time of GPS. The dual 430s installed came later and we have an STC for it.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

JD, iChris, and Rick.. that is some great information. This is why I love this website. I brought it up with three different instructors at the school and got three different answers, all of which are apparently incorrect. One was sure that the only thing needed to upgrade a GNS430 to GNS430W is that the memory card is plugged into the computer and then that will 'unlock' the WAAS capabilites. Another instructor was adamant that no STC's exist for GPS/avionics installations because it 'doesn't change any of the characteristics of the aircraft'. The other said that because it is a VFR only aircraft that even if there were STC's it would not apply at all. None of them had any knowledge about RFM supplements. I was told the school commonly swaps different GPS units from one aircraft to another, and all that's needed is a logbook entry.

As the discussion continued it was also stated that any new instrument or gauge can be added to the aircraft with nothing more than a logbook entry. So that is another question I have now. If you have a Robinson with a couple empty instrument spots in the panel, can you add any instrument you want in there with nothing more than a logbook entry?

No one from maintenance is there on weekends, so I'll probably still go ask someone from maintenance next week. I also might print out the STC posted above, I'm just trying to be tactful and not come off as cocky and trying to outsmart someone. At least I learned something I consider to be important.

I do not recal seeing an STC for the Garmin GPS that were installed in the R22 and R44 I flew. However, that was so long ago. Is it possible that the Robinson original design includes the GPS and was certified that way? As such there would not be an STC issued. Early models of the aircraft with out GPS the retrofitted with them should have an STC for them.

If I'm understanding this, Rick answered that question: "Even if the unit was installed at the factory, there will be a supplement for the unit in the flight manual. Or as a supplement to the flight manual."

So regardless of whether it was installed at the factory or added later with an accompanying STC, there should still be a supplement in or with that RFM.

If I'm understanding this, Rick answered that question: "Even if the unit was installed at the factory, there will be a supplement for the unit in the flight manual. Or as a supplement to the flight manual."

So regardless of whether it was installed at the factory or added later with an accompanying STC, there should still be a supplement in or with that RFM.

I am not so sure. I do not remember ever seeing a supplement of the GPS in the RFM of the Robinsons I flew. I will look into this some more. A supplement is an approval from the FAA to change an aircraft from what it was originally certified. If it had the GPS in it when it was certified I would think then no STC would be needed. I will look into this some more cause it is a great topic.

So that is another question I have now. If you have a Robinson with a couple empty instrument spots in the panel, can you add any instrument you want in there with nothing more than a logbook entry?

If you have a Robinson with a couple empty instrument spots in the panel, you can add instruments as long as no major modification are required to any electrical, pitot-static, or other systems. You can swap gages around and similar instruments of equivalent functionality. That’s normally classified as a minor change, no STC required.

However, when you start adding additional functionality by cutting into the panel, wiring, adding circuit breakers, connectors, and switches you’re departing from minor change. If it’s perceived to have any measureable effect on the characteristics of the type design it’s normally a major modification. Rourke-2 - (2009) Legal Interpretation

Most manufactures for liability reasons apply for the STC since the regulations are often vague, boarder-line, and open for interpretation.

§ 21.93 Classification of changes in type design.

[a] In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A “minor change” is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are “major changes” (except as provided in paragraph of this section).

Appreciable - capable of being perceived or measured; perceptible; detectable

§ 21.113 Requirement for supplemental type certificate.

[a] If a person holds the TC for a product and alters that product by introducing a major change in type design that does not require an application for a new TC under § 21.19, that person must either apply to the appropriate aircraft certification office for an STC or apply to amend the original type certificate under subpart D of this part.

If a person does not hold the TC for a product and alters that product by introducing a major change in type design that does not require an application for a new TC under § 21.19, that person must apply to the appropriate aircraft certification office for an STC.

Edited by iChris

I am not so sure. I do not remember ever seeing a supplement of the GPS in the RFM of the Robinsons I flew. I will look into this some more. A supplement is an approval from the FAA to change an aircraft from what it was originally certified. If it had the GPS in it when it was certified I would think then no STC would be needed. I will look into this some more cause it is a great topic.

JD,

Supplements and STCs/337s are horses of 2 different colors. If the unit was installed at the factory and was part of the initial certification a STC/337 is not needed. However the supplement is generally needed. The supplement informs you of what changes to the flight manual procedures and information are required to be complied with. And usually includes operating information for the unit. I have taken delivery of several new aircraft over my career and each had supplements for installed equipment. Be very careful in your reading of the supplement. Many times there is a requirement for the operating manual for the equipment to be carried in the aircraft. This is especially true of the more complicated units.

JD, iChris, and Rick.. that is some great information. This is why I love this website. I brought it up with three different instructors at the school and got three different answers, all of which are apparently incorrect. One was sure that the only thing needed to upgrade a GNS430 to GNS430W is that the memory card is plugged into the computer and then that will 'unlock' the WAAS capabilites. Another instructor was adamant that no STC's exist for GPS/avionics installations because it 'doesn't change any of the characteristics of the aircraft'. The other said that because it is a VFR only aircraft that even if there were STC's it would not apply at all. None of them had any knowledge about RFM supplements. I was told the school commonly swaps different GPS units from one aircraft to another, and all that's needed is a logbook entry.

There is more to the 430/530 WAAS upgrade, then just changing the data card. The unit is required to go back to the factory where they change out some of the boards and make other changes. I am not sure that the non WAAS unit will accept data from a WAAS card.

As for changing around units, if they are the same, all that is needed is a logbook entry.

JD,

Supplements and STCs/337s are horses of 2 different colors. If the unit was installed at the factory and was part of the initial certification a STC/337 is not needed. However the supplement is generally needed. The supplement informs you of what changes to the flight manual procedures and information are required to be complied with. And usually includes operating information for the unit. I have taken delivery of several new aircraft over my career and each had supplements for installed equipment. Be very careful in your reading of the supplement. Many times there is a requirement for the operating manual for the equipment to be carried in the aircraft. This is especially true of the more complicated units.

Yeah I understand that part. Just wondering why then I have never seen a supplement for the Garmin in the Robinson RFMs I flew?

Just wondering why then I have never seen a supplement for the Garmin in the Robinson RFMs I flew?

No need to wonder. Like in rjl2001’s case, in all likelihood, there wasn’t any paper work at all. The system is self-policing; you make the decision of whether the change is major or minor. It’s easy to take the path of least resistance. Some never even check to see if a STC exist for the item.

The average little R22/R44 flight school is below the FAA's radar most of the time anyway. The FAA doesn’t have the manpower to keep up with a 2”X7.5” (4 pound) GPS unit in a R22/R44. Therefore, it’s ruled minor and if the A&P has time the install may make it into the logbook.

In the case of a Garmin 396/496/etc., not permanently installed, that could be easily removed and did not require aircraft power, was always acceptable. No paperwork required.

As you can see, it’s up to your interpretation.

In Administrator vs. Apollo Airways, Inc. EA-2373 (1986) the court held for the Respondent in that rational judgment was used in deciding that the installation was not major. Apollo Airways had installed an Over Voltage Device in an aircraft.

Edited by iChris

Since the Robinson is not certified for IFR flight, the GPS doesn't have to be IFR certified, and it makes no difference in the aircraft performance, therefore I don't see the need for a supplement. You can't rely on the GPS for navigation. You must have charts on board. The GPS is just a nice-to-have addition, like ANR headsets. There should be a logbook entry somewhere for the installation, but probably not an RFM supplement. You can fly practice instrument approaches without a current database, without WAAS, without a GPS at all, without any nav equipment at all as long as you or the safety pilot can identify the fixes some way, even visually. You can also fly an actual IFR approach in a Robinsion without the certification, because you'll be using your emergency authority.

While most avionics installations current day are considered minor alterations by the FAA and no 337 is required, IF there is an STC available for a product the faa would consider the use of that STC to be the proper way to install such a device. Is anybody out there checking? NO, not really. It is the installers responsibility to use an appropriate STC and have permission to do so. If jim bob goes on ebay and buys a 430 for his r22/44 and has his a&p buddy install it, most look the other way. Most of these types don't have a current POH to begin with, so why would they need a supplement.