What's up with EMS?

pilot#476398

I'm used to seeing a bunch of job ads for EMS, but the latest one from Air Methods really stands out.

Stipends, sign-on bonuses, and off duty housing? Is EMS getting desperate for pilots? :huh:

...have they not heard of Upper Limit? :lol: ,...sorry couldn't resist that one! :)

Stipends are for "hard to fill" bases, places that fill openings slowly or turn over more qickly than usual, in the company's opinion.

"SIgn on bonus" is new to me.

AMC has traditionally been all "resident" bases. If you worked there, you were expected to live there, or provide your own pad while on duty.

So pilots aren't getting harder to find?

Pilots of the 2,000 hour experience level are getting hard to find. The more experience or qualifications the job requires the harder it is to find a pilot with those qualifications to fill it.

• Like 1

Pilots of the 2,000 hour experience level are getting hard to find. The more experience or qualifications the job requires the harder it is to find a pilot with those qualifications to fill it.

...who is willing to move to and live in bum&@$# egypt.

...who is willing to move to and live in bum&@$# egypt.

As a pilot, being based in "bum&@$# egypt" is not a factor. It's different for family, who don't get to fly away everyday. Thus, the stipends and quarters.

My point is that pilots with 2000+ hours are more likely to have a family, a mortgage, and be settled somewhere. There will always be exceptions, but for many, a move of any kind becomes more and more undesireable the older we get.

• Like 1

My point is that pilots with 2000+ hours are more likely to have a family, a mortgage, and be settled somewhere. There will always be exceptions, but for many, a move of any kind becomes more and more undesireable the older we get.

So lower-time pilot generally willing to do anything/go anywhere, vs. higher-time/more qualified pilot no longer willing to do anything/go anywhere?

It seems there may be a second "catch 22" in aviation! :lol:

...by the way, I've been to Egypt. Aside from the pyramids and sphinx there's no reason to go there! :D

Edited by pilot#476398

So lower-time pilot generally willing to do anything/go anywhere, vs. higher-time/more qualified pilot no longer willing to do anything/go anywhere?

It seems there may be a second "catch 22" in aviation! :lol:

I guess you could say that, but it isnt nearly that black and white. I dont think its unique to aviation though. Its just life. I know as I approach retirement age, I have started researching "new" careers and EMS is high on the list of possibilities. I have noticed a few vacancy announcements like these and pondered whether I would like moving to and living/working in some of these places. In my case, I doubt if an extra $7k - $10k would be enough to influence me, but on the other hand there is appeal to leaving the hustle and flow of the big city and living/working in a more rural setting.

I dont know - everyone is different with unique situations. I can only speak for myself, and I havent decided yet. Its a complex decision with many factors to consider (age, salary, longevity, benefits, kids, health, working conditions, etc.), and its not just about your situation. Someone like me in his late-40's has different capabilites and limitations than someone in his/her early-30's. The key is to investigate and learn as much as you can about the industry and make an educated decision - which is what I intend to start doing next year.

Speaking of "Catch 22", as a trivia question, where did the phrase originate? Who invented the phrase? Answer without looking it up if at all possible.

edit Q

Edited by aeroscout

Joseph Heller

One of my favorite movies... :)

Outstanding !

The book was even better

Emphatically agree.

Now since you both should be able to explain what the Catch 22 was, please define it according to the protagonist Yossarian.

Well, the short answer is that Yossarian wants to be grounded from flying by claiming that he is insane (Section 8), but since no sane person would want to fly because the missions are suicide, he is therefore sane.

When they say "quarters," are we talking a duty hut with a bed and a kitchen for when you're on the job, some company paid-for apartment that one may or may not want to live in, or something else?

Can go either way, I've seen full hangars with stellar on duty quarters, single family houses for off duty and singlewides for both. Might want to check out the base you're interested in before signing up.