Qualifying for the ATP

Which of the ATP requirements did you reach while working that entry level CFI job? (chopper pilots only, i.e. no fixed wing/gyro stuff)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. 75 hours instrument?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. 100 hours night?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. 500 hours cross country (landing greater than 25nm straight line distance from point of departure)?

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. 1200 hours total time

• yes
    • no
  5. 5. I met all of the ATP requirements before I left flight instruction.

• yes
    • no

I didn’t have any of the requirements after leaving the training sector….

Pretty much, every job after teaching led me to exceed the ATP requirements including a return to the training sector….

Currently, I do not have the ATP nor have I had a reason to get it…….

IMO, the proverbial “higher” standard is a mindset, not a certificate……..

• Like 1

In other words. I'm catering to the majority.

Why cater to anyone? Do you have an agenda here, or are you actually looking for information? Narrow the field too much or weight it on one side, and you skew the results to whatever you want to hear.

Thus far in your postings and responses, however, you generally hear what you want to hear, anyway. This doesn't seem much different.

For what it's worth, I flew commercially for five years before I instructed, and didn't get to the ATP for about ten years.

The ATP isn't worth much unless you're seeking a job that requires the ATP.

Nobody is impressed with it in jobs that don't require the ATP. My present assignment doesn't require an ATP, and nobody here could give a stuff if I have it or not.

An ATP doesn't put extra hours in your logbook, those hours are the stumbling block for the majority of new working pilots. Get the ATP if you can, it will set you apart from equally qualified instrument rated commercial pilot applicants, that's about it.

Get the ATP if you can, it will set you apart from equally qualified instrument rated commercial pilot applicants, that's about it.

True, -but, ATP applicants who’ve previously worked as pilots, in any capacity, will have the advantage over self-sponsored applicants. Furthermore, it may be even safe to say, for the entry level job market, a pilot with previous piloting work history will outshine a pilot with an ATP and no previous piloting work history…..

The dream is free but the success is sold separately….

• Like 2

I got my start in flying in law enforcement and got my CFI at about 1000hrs. I don't plan on doing my ATP unless it's needed. Or unless a wealthy old woman stuffs a blank check in my thong as a tip on one of the nights I'm dancing at chippendales.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 4

True, -but, ATP applicants who’ve previously worked as pilots, in any capacity, will have the advantage over self-sponsored applicants. Furthermore, it may be even safe to say, for the entry level job market, a pilot with previous piloting work history will outshine a pilot with an ATP and no previous piloting work history…..

Well not to poop all over your pooping on my parade, but for myself, I view the ATP the same way I view the Rotor Safety Challenge I attended recently,...as a commitment to recurrent training and continuing to better myself as a pilot (whether employed or not)! <_<

Well not to poop all over your pooping on my parade, but for myself, I view the ATP the same way I view the Rotor Safety Challenge I attended recently,...as a commitment to recurrent training and continuing to better myself as a pilot (whether employed or not)! <_<

Errr…. It was a response to what Wally said and not intended to “poop” on anyone meaning; it wasn’t about you…… However, since you brought it up, your words up to this point didn’t relate to “bettering yourself as a pilot”. Specifically, you said, “I'm merely curious about the type of hours CFIs generally have when they leave teaching, if it’s enough to qualify for the ATP and if not, what types of jobs have gotten them there?”. I’m no Sherlock Holms but nuttin about bettering yourself as a pilot there……. It would appear you “pooped” on yourself……. And, just so you know, by merely attending a Helicopter Safety Challenge is in fact, bettering yourself as a pilot…….

In the end, you don’t need a poll to find out how to better yourself as a pilot….. All you have to do is ask the question and I’m quite sure you’ll get some answers and, some of those answers you may even agree with…..

Edited by Spike

You're definitely no Sherlock Holms, since I'm sure he could see that this poll is not about bettering myself, that's just why I will get mine some day! <_<

As for your other remark, Wally didn't mention anything about pilots with no work history. That little snip is however perfecly aligned with you other comments directed at me recently!

Take it as you will though... :rolleyes:

What if you're not a CFI with an ATP?

I had a similar question. To me it would be beneficial to have as many options of earning an ATP as possible. Then you could choose the one that best suits you.

You're definitely no Sherlock Holms, since I'm sure he could see that this poll is not about bettering myself, that's just why I will get mine some day! <_<

As for your other remark, Wally didn't mention anything about pilots with no work history. That little snip is however perfecly aligned with you other comments directed at me recently!

Take it as you will though... :rolleyes:

give it a rest already you spam every dang thread on this site with your inane dribble - you go from whining about not being able to get a job to rebuking people giving you advice on getting a job. you got a snarky response to everyone who tries to help you then you claim you don't need help. its pretty obvious that your attitude is what keeps you from progressing in this business - but then you'll just claim that you don't want to progress in this business.

• Like 3

give it a rest already you spam every dang thread on this site with your inane dribble - you go from whining about not being able to get a job to rebuking people giving you advice on getting a job. you got a snarky response to everyone who tries to help you then you claim you don't need help. its pretty obvious that your attitude is what keeps you from progressing in this business - but then you'll just claim that you don't want to progress in this business.

I concur with this assessment….. Nuf said…..

Edited by Spike

Nice.

You're definitely no Sherlock Holms, since I'm sure he could see that this poll is not about bettering myself, that's just why I will get mine some day!

English isn't your first language, is it?

Well not to poop all over your pooping on my parade, but for myself, I view the ATP the same way I view the Rotor Safety Challenge I attended recently,...as a commitment to recurrent training and continuing to better myself as a pilot (whether employed or not)!

You're not an ATP, are you?

I view the ATP as a job qualification. Having spent a number of years internationally using my ATP to earn a living, it's a little more than just an exercise.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that you can't even contribute something to your own thread. Why is that?

You're not a working pilot, but you know all about aviation careers; enough so that you won't hear anything from those fly make their living flying.

You're not an ATP, but you know all about it, what it can do for a career, how it applies, where one gets the experience. Everything.

You're not an instructor, but you think you know all about instructing.

You're not an aircraft mechanic, but you seem to think you know something about all those things. Anyone who disagrees with you becomes the subject of name-calling and derision, and it seems that you go out of your way to say nothing contributory or applicable to the thread. Even one which you start.

When it comes to the name calling that you resort to in your childish teen way, it's no more than a substitute for intelligent thought; a poor excuse when one has little or nothing else to contribute to the conversation. We clearly see evidence of this once again. Why are you so bound and determined to prove it to the world? You'd do far better to clam up and appear the fool, rather than continue posting and removing all doubt.

I just read your post and responded to it, as I responded with relevant information in the thread. That's something you've been unable to do, however, which we really don't find surprising.

I know about you only what you've provided in your responses, which is more than enough. This thread and your own comments in your own thread, to say nothing of the assessments of others who have responded to you, are consistent in making a simple observation about you.

You're indicted on the basis of your own words.

Thoughts, perhaps pertinent:

I got my ATP because a previous position required IFR captains to have that certificate. I would guess that at least 95% of the rest of that pilot force were commercial pilots- the ATPs were hens teeth if you weren't an IFR captain or intending to be...

I have never met a working pilot who took the time and trouble to get the ATP if it wasn't required for a position, even when examiners and aircraft were free for the test.

Present employer "prefers" ATP holders as applicants for open seats. The certificate is so valuable that the supplement is almost 1%. Aside from the previous position's compensation and requirement of an ATP, I am in the hole on that certificate, having laid our more than I recovered in twenty years- with that training provided by Uncle Sam...

Preferred or not, in 13 years on this job, I have met 2 new hires who held the certificate, none in the last decade.

Well, almost everyone I work with either has their ATP or meets the requirements and will do the ride in the near future. The company will be requiring it within a few years even though we fly primarily VFR with some SPIFR in the pipeline. At this point it is just a measuring stick and gets you a token stipend, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it more broadly required sooner than later, for whatever reasons. Personally, I got the instrument and night time as a CFII, the rest of it through subsequent 135 work. A thought...if you wind up doing air tours that just return to base, you may find yourself limited on cross country opportunities. Also most turbine transition 135 positions offer very little or no night flying. Otherwise the IFR is pretty self explanatory and the younger folks I know who more recently landed SIC seats had 2000+TT and either arrived with an ATP or at minimum came qualified. Most of my contemporaries got qualified through instruction/work and then either paid for the prep and check flights in an alternate aircraft on their own dime or paid nothing and had it piggybacked onto a company recurrent ride. Just what I've come across, by no means an exhaustive sampling :)

• Like 2