LUH-72 Crew Cheif?

So I'm sure some of you remember my post a while back about changing my mind about going active duty, and that I will be going guard. Anyway, the guard here in LA requires that you be a member of the guard before applying to flight school. My current plan it to enlist as a 15t (black hawk mechanic). However this unit also has 72's. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the process of becoming a Lakota mechanic? I would assume there is some sort of selection process?

• Like 1

My neighbor is currently a Lakota Crew Chief. His primary is Black Hawk Crew Chief. Currently, he does not do any maintenance on the Lakota as it is currently under contract from Dyncorp. Be prepared to not do much maint work.

Lakota maintenance in active duty units is done by contractors. They will not let you help since it could put them out of a job.

Guard units have a different situation where you might get to work on the 72. It's called Hybrid maintenance. You may have noticed that there is no MOS for the Lakota. You'll have to graduate from AIT as a 15T, then probably get your A&P. The Lakota is considered a civilian aircraft, so all maintenance has to be done by an A&P, and all FAA rules concerning STCs apply.

• Like 2

Gotcha, Thanks guys. Don't plan on being 15T for very long anyway. Just thought I'd check on the Lakota as it would be a valuable skill in the civilian sector. Makes sense about the a&p though.

I didnt plan on being in the infantry for 8 years either :)

Exactly, which is why I didn't choose some menial MOS that I would hate doing, just to get in. I chose an MOS that I wanted to do, in case WOFT never worked out. I just knew that we have Lakotas as well and was curious what I might need to do to get to play with those too.