Highschool-to-Flightschool

Instead of starting a new thread, I figure I'd piggyback off of this one considering I'm in a similar boat.

I'm currently 21 years old, 5 semesters away from graduating with my bachelors, 3.9 GPA with about 65 credits in college, 4.5 GPA in high school. I'm also currently an E-4 with 3 years TIS in the Air National Guard as a medic with several certs from EMT to Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support to rescue (Structural Collapse Level 1, Rope Rescue Level 1, etc). I have a solid source of Letters of recommendation I can get through my chain of command (NCOIC, OIC, CC, first sergeant) and am looking at trying to get in touch with some higher ranking flying warrants at the guard base in town. I'm relatively proficient with standardized testing (97 AFQT, 131 GT on ASVAB while in high school) so with some studying I think I can score decently on the ASVAB again and the SIFT. My APFT is right around 280-285ish currently.

Anyways, I'm curious as to what you guys already in the community think is going to happen regarding army aviation in a few years as we move further into the drawdown. Obviously, the WOFT program isn't going to go away, but I'm a little nervous regarding what it may become. My dilemma is to whether I should stick out these last 5 semesters of school and then put in a package or just go for it this summer and try to do the online route for school after the pipeline. I know that a degree is essentially mandatory at this point for promotion. I know the smart thing to do would be to graduate and then apply, but in the last month or so, the flying bug has hit me hard and I want to feel like I'm doing something with my life. I appreciate any advice you guys have, thanks in advance. Also, this forum is awesome, it's been a great resource for me.

Just my opinion so take it for what its worth. I would finish the degree. Its looked upon extremely favorably even for selection. Its something that can also never be taken away. Once you hit flight school, I promise you wont have time to take classes either. You have plenty of time since you are only 21. I came in at 27 and am really glad I knocked out my degree. You have really solid stats. As far as where Army Aviation is going. Its just guesses. My board only had a 11/31 selection(November 2014). September had 37/37. So who really knows. WOFT isnt going anywhere so IMO, finish the degree and the submit. Or at least get a good portion of your packet finished so its ready to go as soon as you graduate.

Just my opinion so take it for what its worth. I would finish the degree. Its looked upon extremely favorably even for selection. Its something that can also never be taken away. Once you hit flight school, I promise you wont have time to take classes either. You have plenty of time since you are only 21. I came in at 27 and am really glad I knocked out my degree. You have really solid stats. As far as where Army Aviation is going. Its just guesses. My board only had a 11/31 selection(November 2014). September had 37/37. So who really knows. WOFT isnt going anywhere so IMO, finish the degree and the submit. Or at least get a good portion of your packet finished so its ready to go as soon as you graduate.

Thank you for your insight. Staying in school is the smarter route to go. It's just tempting to put a packet together and try, especially after seeing a lot of people on here getting selected.