Question on what to do after getting a Private License

Unforgiven

No restrictions where I fly. We've got a number of 'helicopter friendly' destinations scattered around north Georgia. A popular country restaurant up in the northeast corner of our state has a designated spot for helos. You have to clear a split rail fence and avoid trees and a flagpole. Another one at a marina on Lake Lanier has a spot with 'Helicopter Parking Only' signs around it. We've even got some chain restaurants that welcome helicopter visits. The wife and I make our Christmas Party hops in an R22. I have to avoid the spiked eggnog - but it's worth it.

attachicon.gifBullard yard landing II.jpg

Looks familiar, blue ridge is a great operation

post-46874-0-56952500-1455589987_thumb.jpeg

I am, but I'm at Rucker in Alabama for Army flight school, and decided to get current again in the 22 last year.

Gotcha, hope to be there myself one day. I took my nickel ride in the 22 at blue ridge and have been hooked ever since.

Hi there. Don't know if this would work for you, but I managed to sort something that was good for me. I passed my PPL course, and then ordered a machine from RHC which was on about 4 months delivery into the UK.

I thought I'd just rent by the hour, but with only a couple of schools with machines for self fly rental, I kept missing out on machines being available.

In the end, I just phoned every flight school / flying club I could find until I found one with an R44 that wasn't being used. I agreed with them that I could keep the machine at my place, and just pay for hours used. I pay the owners only 200 pounds per hour (I guess 280 dollars an hour), and I pay the fuel on top. In England, a rental rate would run to about 700 dollars an hour (although that would include the fuel).

Works great for me, but its not for everyone. Good luck whatever you do.

Smithy

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, about how much does an hour rental usually run? I know this would vary greatly, but just curious about a rough number. I've heard like $1,200 with afew guys talking here at work, but not sure if that's true at all. I only have about 147 hours in a 64, and plus some in a 206 from flight school. I would love to take my wife on an hour flight just cruising around, although I would definitely wait until I have alittle more experience before I trust myself with my wife up there.

• Like 1

Well the average hourly rental cost for the mighty R22 is $250, and that includes gas. Most schools from whom I've rented wouldn't rent out their R44 due to insurance costs, and a 206 definitely wouldn't be worth the price.

$700 bucks an hour in England,...crikey! =:o

Edited by r22butters

• 3 weeks later...