Applying below minimums (Specifically R44 Tours)

Ares_83x

First off I did try searching for a prior thread. However, every search returned way too many threads not on my question, but I do know this question has been asked and answered before.

After a year of reading R44 tour job posts, it seems most R44 tour operators put minimum R44 time between 50-100 hours. I'm instructing and will meet the total time minimums for tours, but I'll probably only have around 25 hours in the R44 with the SFAR endorsement. My question is whether it is appropriate to apply for a R44 tour job when I meet all the qualifications except the total R44 time?

I've asked a few tour pilots and they said that the operators do hire below what they put out as the minimums. However, I'd like to hear from a few more sources. And I will try to build time in the R44, but logistically it won't be easy with my school.

**Reposted in General Forum on advise from Admin

• Like 1

All R44 Tour operators I spoke with over the years wouldn't consider me until I met their R44 minimums, wether it be 40 hours or 100,except one!

,...and I had to interview there for three years before convincing him to hire me.

Remenber 500hr CFII's with 100hrs in the R44 are a dime a dozen. Try Old City Helicopters in Florida, they only want 20!

Butters, thanks for the lead. I know my hours are average, but would you see any downside in applying? I wasn't sure if companies dislike applicants who apply below stated minimums and this world seems way too small to make a bad impression early on.

All that said I hear stories often of a company needing a position filled immediately and they take a guy that normally would not be competitive for that position. So before I pass up opportunities because I'm short some R44 time, I want some advise on whether submitting an application or knocking on a door is advised in my position.

Thanks

I remember a guy years ago posting that he got an R44 job with no R44 time (over applicants that had plenty) and they then transitioned him into it on their dime!?

Knock on doors, ultimately I believe its your personality that gets you hired!

In my little experience, the Robinson factory course holds a lot of weight with talking to a local R44 summer tour operator, he said I was potentially, possibly, considerable with only 17hrs R44 and the factory course under my belt.

He also forgave me for having my primary training done in the 300c.

I have attended the RHC factory course, but I did my hour in a R22.

It never hurts to apply. I'd also even try calling the places you applied to and talking to them over the phone, so long as they give you the opportunity to talk. Not having a lot of time in the R44 though may ultimately hurt your chances. Theres a variety of factors involved, to be honest. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

If you’re in the ballpark, you should be good to go…. However, why leave instructing?

Seldom for me, but there will be days when a summer tour gig sounds like it would be a paradise compared to instructing.

"then it comes to be, that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel....is just a freight train coming your way" - METALLICA

Seldom for me, but there will be days when a summer tour gig sounds like it would be a paradise compared to instructing.

"then it comes to be, that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel....is just a freight train coming your way" - METALLICA

A few years ago I was doing my BFR in the 44 and when the instructor asked why, I said it was to prepare for an interview for a summer tour gig. His response was, "Oh' yeah, a couple of our guys did that last season".

In hindsight I probably should have asked why they weren't applying to go back for another one!?

,...and now I get to spend the rest of the day trying to remember from which Metallica song that lyric comes?

Yea, R44 tours sound great until the season ends and now you have no job. That and they don't pay near what the job is worth in most cases. I did work one season with a guy, who wanted to hire his best friend but wasn't able to make it that year, where I made more in tips than in salary. That was the only R44 tour job that was worthwhile pay wise.

If you’re in the ballpark, you should be good to go…. However, why leave instructing?

I enjoy instructing even more than I thought I would when I started. However, I do not want to remain in my current job beyond 1K hours. I like the company I work for, but I would like to expand my career experiences and I would like a bit more structure than my current job offers. Also I just plain like the R44 and I'd like to spend more time flying one.

• Like 1