Civilian to Reserve WOFT

What is the process of picking or getting accepted by a reserve unit for WOFT, outside of putting together a packet? Would it be wise to start contacting units near me once I've completed my packet? 

I asked my recruiter this question and he was honest with me saying he wasn't sure since he's only done active-duty packets, but that doing woft reserves is 100% possible. 

I've read a lot on here about going guard, but there's not a lot of info on the reserves. 

My state (FL) does not allow civilians to do the woft program (I asked the wosm) so that's not a possibility since I'm not enlisted in the NG. 

I don't wish to do active-duty since my job, that I very much enjoy, is flexible enough to accommodate the time needed to get the required flight hours during the week. 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, Switchmitch said:

What is the process of picking or getting accepted by a reserve unit for WOFT, outside of putting together a packet? Would it be wise to start contacting units near me once I've completed my packet? 

I asked my recruiter this question and he was honest with me saying he wasn't sure since he's only done active-duty packets, but that doing woft reserves is 100% possible. 

I've read a lot on here about going guard, but there's not a lot of info on the reserves. 

My state (FL) does not allow civilians to do the woft program (I asked the wosm) so that's not a possibility since I'm not enlisted in the NG. 

I don't wish to do active-duty since my job, that I very much enjoy, is flexible enough to accommodate the time needed to get the required flight hours during the week. 

The WO-1 is actually a Reserve position, and people applying must submit a request to go active duty along side the DA-61. I cannot imagine a whole state not allowing the WOFT program as it is a nation wide deal. Maybe the National Guard does not because it is state funded but Active Duty and Reserves are both federally funded. Have you searched the different recruiting stations in your area? I had a guy come from Louisiana because a recruiting office there said he had to have a 4 year degree (Which is false) and he had a better chance of enlisting one an aviation branch and applying within. 

Ask the WOSM if you can tour/speak to some people in the aviation unit. While it's true that the WOSM is the gatekeeper it isn't his or her decision on how aviation recruits. Those decisions are generally delegated to the State Aviation Office. By getting some facetime talking to some members of the unit, warrants who fly for the unit full-time, etc, you may open some doors. 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:56 PM, Mrhoodhimself07 said:

The WO-1 is actually a Reserve position, and people applying must submit a request to go active duty along side the DA-61. I cannot imagine a whole state not allowing the WOFT program as it is a nation wide deal. Maybe the National Guard does not because it is state funded but Active Duty and Reserves are both federally funded. Have you searched the different recruiting stations in your area? I had a guy come from Louisiana because a recruiting office there said he had to have a 4 year degree (Which is false) and he had a better chance of enlisting one an aviation branch and applying 

I'll definitely reach out to more stations in my area to see if they can offer any additional guidance on this. 

On 3/29/2020 at 8:44 AM, mike0331 said:

Ask the WOSM if you can tour/speak to some people in the aviation unit. While it's true that the WOSM is the gatekeeper it isn't his or her decision on how aviation recruits. Those decisions are generally delegated to the State Aviation Office. By getting some facetime talking to some members of the unit, warrants who fly for the unit full-time, etc, you may open some doors. 

Great idea! Will definitely try this once the pandemic is over. Thank you.