DITY move or PCS move?

Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to go to WOCS and flight school and I've heard conflicting info about moving my family down to Rucker. I've never moved my family around through the military as I was NG on my last enlistment, and now I'm AD. On the one hand, a lot of people are telling me I should do a DITY move and make some money off of it... I would be fine with this but I have heard a ton of things regarding quarantines with COVID. I've heard I won't be able to have any friends/family help me move on base, and I've heard the opposite of that too.  On the other hand I've also been told to just let the military move us down, but I've heard that stuff often gets damaged that way. I've also heard that a lot of it will get squared away when I get down there, but I don't want to just trust that things will happen, the Army messes up a lot of stuff like this. 

If anyone on here has moved down to Rucker during the quarantine with a family would shed some light on the process, I'd really appreciate it. I've called a lot of the numbers on Fort Rucker's website and they've mostly told me conflicting info. 

How much stuff do you have to move?  Lots of experience moving yourself or new to it?  How far are you going?  

Personally, I prefer to have someone move my stuff for me.  I’ve done quite a few DITY and only one where someone moved my stuff, and it was sooo much better.  Some of our furniture got damaged but it was easy enough to claim.

Not having a moving truck allowed us to take a nice relaxing road trip, and we utilized the base lending closet to bridge the gap until our stuff was delivered.  Very low stress.

DITY moves always felt like a race to get the truck returned.

4 minutes ago, SBuzzkill said:

How much stuff do you have to move?  Lots of experience moving yourself or new to it?  How far are you going?  

Personally, I prefer to have someone move my stuff for me.  I’ve done quite a few DITY and only one where someone moved my stuff, and it was sooo much better.  Some of our furniture got damaged but it was easy enough to claim.

Not having a moving truck allowed us to take a nice relaxing road trip, and we utilized the base lending closet to bridge the gap until our stuff was delivered.  Very low stress.

DITY moves always felt like a race to get the truck returned.

A small apartments worth of stuff. I've never moved with my family before. I'm in Michigan, so a long ways. Do you know what the situation is for family being allowed on base? 

I don’t know the COVID policies.

With just an apartment to worry about I wouldn’t hesitate to DITY as long as you can arrange some help.  That way you’ll be on your own timeline and will be able to have control of your belongings.  The little bit of extra money will come in handy to help you get established in your new home too.  If you had a bigger load it would be a different story.

This is assuming you have some place to move in to.  If you’re going to need storage I think it would be less hassle to use movers.  We used movers on our 3rd PCS and it was nice to not worry about loading/unloading/storing/loading/unloading while we waited for a house.

The way I see it K.I.S.S. is always the answer, even if it means giving up a bit of money.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

Even with only an apartment worth of stuff there's something really nice about drinking beer while mother people move all your crap for you. If you decide to let the Army do the move make sure you do a partial dity. It works the same as a regular dity but the army still moves all your stuff and lays you for the weight of anything you carry in your vehicle. The couple hundred pounds of clothes, essentials, nice things your wife doesn't want to risk being broken, etc adds up to a few hundred extra dollars in your pocket. 

• Like 1