EMS Questions

bstroh

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting into the EMS field and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the various companies out there.

It appears some of the larger players are all owned by GMR, so how does pay and benefits stack up against one another? For instance Reach vs Med-Trans?

I'm mostly interested in VFR at this point, especially since I'm a little shy of the 135 IFR minimums. It appears that even the VFR job postings for Metro and others have an instrument requirement, is this a hard and fast requirement or is there generally some leniency in there for the VFR positions?

I would prefer to fly on a fairly regular basis, I enjoy flying still and don't want to sit for days with nothing happening; how does one find out which bases are busier than others? For instance, bases near large cities, bases in southern states, any kind of pattern anyone knows of?

A friend of mine recently started at an operation run by a specific hospital, how does one find those jobs aside from knowing the right person?

Any other good insights on this part of the industry? I'm sure I have more questions but can't recall them at the moment. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

I don't know about pay with those companies but it is generally lower.

Instrument and night time seem to be pretty much non-negotiable, probably because of IMC accidents.

The bases closer to a city but have large populations will often fly the most. 

I don't know of any EMS jobs that you need to have an in. Almost all are advertised. If you know somebody there it can be helpful. If it is in a desirable location, it will probably go to someone internally. You may have to put in time at someplace you'd rather not be to build seniority.

!6 years with Rocky, which was purchased lock stock and barrel by Air Methods, from which I retired in 2017. They 'grandfathered' the non-instrument pilots, but I don't think they bring nuggets aboard w/out the IFR rating.

My opinion is that company doesn't much matter as long as they honor their contracts.  Base relations, immediate management is more important than the company. A happy base and management that back the pilot is the answer.

Most aircraft are not IFR legal, IFR ships are usually at specialized hospitals- burn centers, pediatric, etc. If they are desirable bases senior pilots will have those locked up.

Recurrent will have a substantial IFR component, you will struggle if you're not proficient.They expect you to practice between recurrents even though you're doing so in VFR. I think Inadvertent is more common in HEMS because of the unpredictability of the calls. I waited at scenes, transferring hospitals as long as 8 hours. The weather can change a lot over they length of time and if you're remote then you won't have reporting stations nearby that reflect your local conditions. You are expected to abort those transports if you're not IFR equipped and approved.

(The VFR minimums are real. Adhere to them rigidly!)

Your chances of getting a particular, desirable base assignment are exceedingly small bases are filled by seniority in the bidding process.

I would not sign on for a particular hospital. The hospital would have you by the short hairs and they can, generally speaking, ask for another pilot to replace you if you're not 'cooperative'. Community based operations are more stable, less political and the majority of the fleet.

Having an 'in' is useful in that you may have an idea of which bases are 'hard to fill'. You may want an assignment in Scufflegrit, Hardscrabble if that's where you, your family live.

I loved the job but it didn't fly enough, I think the average when I left was about 150 hours a year, a third, quarter being night flights. I prefer nights and with NVGs being common, I greatly preferred nights. You can (usually) see much, much better with NVGs than you can in daylight- uniform light level and contrast even for small, distant objects.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone.

What is typically considered "desirable"? I'm not much of a big city person, so living rurally is desirable for me - I realize that may be in opposition to flying regularly. Something I'll have to weight out with my wife.

I do have the instrument rating, but just not enough instrument hours to be on a 135 IFR certificate. I'm sure I could find a cheap sim somewhere to get the requirements. I'm just shy of 50 hours total instrument, and I don't mind buying the remainder if that's what's necessary. It would just be convenient to get on a VFR base first and see if it's something I'd like to do longer term.

7 hours ago, bstroh said:

Thanks for the info everyone.

What is typically considered "desirable"? I'm not much of a big city person, so living rurally is desirable for me - I realize that may be in opposition to flying regularly. Something I'll have to weight out with my wife.

I do have the instrument rating, but just not enough instrument hours to be on a 135 IFR certificate. I'm sure I could find a cheap sim somewhere to get the requirements. I'm just shy of 50 hours total instrument, and I don't mind buying the remainder if that's what's necessary. It would just be convenient to get on a VFR base first and see if it's something I'd like to do longer term.

135.243 c2 requires 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument, with at least 50 in an aircraft; so a cheap FTD won’t do you any good.

If your intent is to fly SPIFR, you should do a year or two in the GOM to get some actual IFR experience. Not only to meet the 135 mins, but to become proficient. SPIFR isn’t something you should just jump into without a solid IFR background…

Era (Bristow), PHI and RLC are all hiring. Depending on how desperate they are, it is possible to get hired directly into the S76 / AW139 as an SIC. 

• Like 2

BSTROH- "What is typically considered "desirable"? I'm not much of a big city person, so living rurally is desirable for me - I realize that may be in opposition to flying regularly. Something I'll have to weight out with my wife."

That's open to individual interpretation. Talk to people at the base if you can, get a feel.

Are you 'outdoorsy'? Then a base near good streams, trails, whatever, but a place with the basics of civilized life- restaurants, groceries, schools for the kiddos. There are a couple real nice bases in my former ao that were considered desirable on those basis.

Some pretty nice suburban bases too.

All of'em were happy bases when I retired, immediate management kept a lid on the usual EMS issues, crews, pilots, mechs. Not so certain of that now.

No way I'd go to a base in the states between Georgia and Texas. Well, maybe Southwestern Louisiana, below I-10. I like cajuns, me, yeah.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:56 PM, Hand_Grenade_Pilot said:

...If your intent is to fly SPIFR... 

That is not necessarily my intent, just seemed like a large portion of the job postings are for IFR positions, and even some of the VFR positions list 135 IFR requirements as minimum qualifications. I like seeing while I fly which is why I am looking primarily at VFR bases. I was curious about how VFR bases feel about not meeting 135 IFR mins. It sounds like they definitely want them from what I'm seeing here.

1 hour ago, Wally said:

BSTROH- "What is typically considered "desirable"? I'm not much of a big city person, so living rurally is desirable for me - I realize that may be in opposition to flying regularly. Something I'll have to weight out with my wife."

That's open to individual interpretation. Talk to people at the base if you can, get a feel.

Are you 'outdoorsy'? Then a base near good streams, trails, whatever, but a place with the basics of civilized life- restaurants, groceries, schools for the kiddos. There are a couple real nice bases in my former ao that were considered desirable on those basis.

Some pretty nice suburban bases too.

All of'em were happy bases when I retired, immediate management kept a lid on the usual EMS issues, crews, pilots, mechs. Not so certain of that now.

No way I'd go to a base in the states between Georgia and Texas. Well, maybe Southwestern Louisiana, below I-10. I like cajuns, me, yeah.

That's what I figured, it depends where everyone wants to live. What is it about that area you don't like, weather, politics, other?

19 hours ago, bstroh said:

That is not necessarily my intent, just seemed like a large portion of the job postings are for IFR positions, and even some of the VFR positions list 135 IFR requirements as minimum qualifications. I like seeing while I fly which is why I am looking primarily at VFR bases. I was curious about how VFR bases feel about not meeting 135 IFR mins. It sounds like they definitely want them from what I'm seeing here.

That's what I figured, it depends where everyone wants to live. What is it about that area you don't like, weather, politics, other?

Not meeting 135 IFR mins should not be a deal breaker for a VFR base. All they want is an instrument rating and proficiency recovering from IIMC.

While companies like Metro are primarily SPIFR in the EC135/145, there are a lot of VFR bases w/ AMC, PHI Health, and Air Evac using the AS350, B407, B206L.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, bstroh said:

IFR is the 'easy' management answer to safety: They can buy a lot of gear cheaper than one crash. Do they support you in proficiency flights? IFR proficiency is your only real safety net. I've been inadvertent a few times over the years, IFR is a lot more relaxed than trying to return to VMC.

"I like seeing while I fly" but the truth is I'm to busy flying to enjoy the scenery. I'm analyzing, looking for trends, seeking 'better' anything- well, everything- until I log the flight. I'm 'on the gauges VFR almost as much as I am IFR.

The area I flew is MVFR or better 99% of the year- ceilings being the usual issue. The northwestern half was the Smokies: they make their own weather.

• Like 1