Photos from Afghanistan

Heli-Ops

Wow, just.....wow. I thought Hueys were retired, and when did the U.S. start using Hind's and Lynx's? VERY nice photos!
There's a lot more in Afghanistan than just the U.S. Military. Look at the insignias: the Lynx are there from the R.A.F. (brits - red and blue dot; same with the C-17 and harriers) and the Mi-27 is from Russia (obviously) and that bagged-up Hind: heck if I know. Marines still use Hueys, as far as I can recall. That grey huey? Again, heck if I know.... Blackwater?

Awesome pictures in there, that's for sure.

There's a lot more in Afghanistan than just the U.S. Military. Look at the insignias: the Lynx are there from the R.A.F. (brits - red and blue dot; same with the C-17 and harriers) and the Mi-27 is from Russia (obviously) and that bagged-up Hind: heck if I know. Marines still use Hueys, as far as I can recall. That grey huey? Again, heck if I know.... Blackwater?

Awesome pictures in there, that's for sure.

Dont forget those 2 dutch cougars!

HH60Pilot - It is NASA's bird but the bosses at NASA didnt want the logo on it while it was over there. According to Ken Cockrell who was running the program they wanted it on there but management didnt. Apparently since NASA is owned by the US Govt they didnt want to promote the fact - go figure.

In the first huey pictures.. the grey huey... is that a .50 cal machine gun I see sticking out the side? Seems like a lot of firepower to be mounted on the side like that. Wouldn't that throw the helicopter all over the place when it fires?

I'm only saying this 1) Because I'm not a helicopter pilot (yet) and 2) because I know when we shoot the .50 off the top of an uparmored humvee or a 12ton M113 it rocks the sh*t out of both of em

No that is a Dillon Aero GALS 17 Minigun and you DONT want to be on the receiving end of it. Its the same gun you see firing during the night shots where you can see the tracer.

The mil guys here will know more about this piece of kit. :)

No that is a Dillon Aero GALS 17 Minigun and you DONT want to be on the receiving end of it. Its the same gun you see firing during the night shots where you can see the tracer.

The mil guys here will know more about this piece of kit. :)

Ahh, I'm in Iraq right now on a real slow internet connection and I didn't get to see all of the pictures. Only got to download about a 1/4 of em.

I've actually seen Dillons used off the side of hueys and blackhawks, I just couldn't make out the weapon from the distance and the long barrel made me think it was a .50cal...which I've never seen used off the SIDE of a helicopter before. You said a GALS 17... I'm not familiar with that one unless it's just a foreign service's different nomenclature for the usual Dillon Aero M134 minigun?

If it's the same thing- 3,000 RPM out of those miniguns whoops the sh*t out of any of the machine guns we have on the ground. Our M240B depending on gas regulator settings only puts out around ~1,000 RPM. Isn't it amazing to see the tracers coming out of those dillons? Looks like a dragon's tongue licking through the sky.

I shoulda dropped my warrant packet long ago... ha ha.