robinson overhaul

can anybody tell me what is involved in the robinson 2200hr overhaul I have seen a lot of machines for sale with high hours and wounder if it would be worth purchasing one with the view of getting an engine, blades etc, also is it legal to fly over the 2200hr limit over private land ( eg farm) in order to practice hovering but with no major height involved. Just started lessons a few mounths ago.

Hovering 2" above the ground or flying 2,000' AGL, it's still flying, and you have to follow the FARs.

However, on the subject of overhaul, there are two facets. One is time-life limited parts - you must replace those when they are done. However, the "overhaul" as RHC terms it is a big grey area - there is nothing in the TCDS, POH, HMI, or any other documentation saying that the aircraft is unairworthy without the overhaul. Yes, all life-limited parts as per the TCDS must be replaced, but beyond that it is (unfortunately) open to interpretation. Even the LA FSDO refuses to say it must be done.

Personally, I wouldn't skip it, because I believe there isn't a lot of extra margin built into the R22.

• 2 weeks later...
Hovering 2" above the ground or flying 2,000' AGL, it's still flying, and you have to follow the FARs.

However, on the subject of overhaul, there are two facets. One is time-life limited parts - you must replace those when they are done. However, the "overhaul" as RHC terms it is a big grey area - there is nothing in the TCDS, POH, HMI, or any other documentation saying that the aircraft is unairworthy without the overhaul. Yes, all life-limited parts as per the TCDS must be replaced, but beyond that it is (unfortunately) open to interpretation. Even the LA FSDO refuses to say it must be done.

Personally, I wouldn't skip it, because I believe there isn't a lot of extra margin built into the R22.

When they take them back to the factory do they strip them down to the frame or is it mainly mechanical ? just curious

When they take them back to the factory do they strip them down to the frame or is it mainly mechanical ? just curious

I believe they strip the helicopter down and inspect all parts to make sure they are within tolerances. Anything that needs to be repaced is

Fling, there is a training facility in Texas, that we both know and love, that says otherwise. As a matter of fact, I was told that, while P49 was in affect, that it was ok to practice hovering with the tx-ponder off.

P-49 is Prohibited Area 49, over Crawford Texas, GWB's ranch. "tx-ponder" is transponder. P-49 is always active. He was refering to the 30 mile TFR (temporary flight restriction) that goes into effect whenever GWB visits his ranch.

Seeing as how we are already a little off subject.... is this the facility that sits on the left while heading north on I35 from 190?

Never skimp on maintainance, it costs more in the long run......at least for those left behind.

Robinson website gives info on 2200 hour aircraft overhaul cost as well as operation cost etc.

If my memory is correct, R44 overhaul is around $125,000.00.

The aircraft is stripped down and run back through the assembly line with the new ones.

I saw a few overhauls in the production line when I was there in April.

gft

$125,000 seems pretty cheap. We have a 22 in overhaul right now and it will be around $140,000.

I would not recommend flying (or even hovering) over the 2200 hours since stuff really starts breaking the closer you get to 2200.

$125,000 seems pretty cheap. We have a 22 in overhaul right now and it will be around $140,000.

I would not recommend flying (or even hovering) over the 2200 hours since stuff really starts breaking the closer you get to 2200.

I have heard there is an overhaul kit available for customers in europe costing in the region of $70.000 shipping them back to the states and then back to europe dosnt seem practical.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
read part 43.15 b it will explain why the 12 year inspection is required.

Bill

( B) Rotorcraft. Each person performing an inspection required by Part 91 on a rotorcraft shall inspect the following systems in accordance with the maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness of the manufacturer concerned:

The 12 year inspection is not required by part 91 so this statement does not apply.

The only thing a part 91 operator is required to do is replace the items in the Airworthiness Limitations section of the POH when the maximum service life is reached. Nothing in that section says anything about the 12 year inspection and limited overhaul. You will see at the bottom of the Airworthiness Limitations Section an FAA Approval. This is the only part of the MM that is regulatory.

For a part 91 private owner or for rental aircraft, only an annual is required by part 91. If the aircraft is "hired out" then a 100 hour is required.

Not saying it is smart, just stating what is legal.

Edited by RockyMountainPilot

( B) Rotorcraft. Each person performing an inspection required by Part 91 on a rotorcraft shall inspect the following systems in accordance with the maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness of the manufacturer concerned:

The 12 year inspection is not required by part 91 so this statement does not apply.

The only thing a part 91 operator is required to do is replace the items in the Airworthiness Limitations section of the POH when the maximum service life is reached. Nothing in that section says anything about the 12 year inspection and limited overhaul. You will see at the bottom of the Airworthiness Limitations Section an FAA Approval. This is the only part of the MM that is regulatory.

For a part 91 private owner or for rental aircraft, only an annual is required by part 91. If the aircraft is "hired out" then a 100 hour is required.

Not saying it is smart, just stating what is legal.

I haven't looked at the Robinson maintenance for quite some time, but I thought that Frank had put the 12 year limit in the "life limit" component section for the blades. Is this true?

Marc D.

I haven't looked at the Robinson maintenance for quite some time, but I thought that Frank had put the 12 year limit in the "life limit" component section for the blades. Is this true?

Marc D.

No. There is no calendar limit for any item in the airworthiness limitations sections of the MM. They are all TIS limits.

• 2 months later...
can anybody tell me what is involved in the robinson 2200hr overhaul I have seen a lot of machines for sale with high hours and wounder if it would be worth purchasing one with the view of getting an engine, blades etc, also is it legal to fly over the 2200hr limit over private land ( eg farm) in order to practice hovering but with no major height involved. Just started lessons a few mounths ago.

Hey guys,

Im new to the board, but I have an 0360 j2a out of a robinson R22 with 500 hours on it since installed new in 2002. Needs mags and starter, but I was installing it into my super cub, but crashed the cub and the engine needs a new home. I have log books.

Todd

503-928-2090

aviair@verizon.net