Guest rookie101

Board Stats.  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Wanna-be's, Students, & the Pro's

• Wanna-be's
    • Student's
    • Professional's

Guest rookie101

Here is another one for all of you on here. How much of this board is comprised of wanna-be's, student's and professional pilots. CFI's are included as professional pilot's as you are earning money to fly, whether or not it is your full time job is no matter to me, your still getting payed to fly. :D

If you want you can tell the board what you voted for at first then tell use when you change from one to the other. Always good to hear when someone has moved up in the helo. world ;)

Guest rookie101
you left out MY catagory rookie :(

X. helicopter owner & flies just for fun :)

I am going for majority of people on here and I see that as wanna-be's, student's and pro pilot's., but since you said something we at least know your 'kind' exsists.

Professional but still learning every day. Does that make me a professional student?

:wacko: Do I really have to get specific HP? :rolleyes: Since this isn't a politically correct thread we'll stick with pro. pilot. ;)

Guest rookie101
I wasn't sure which box to check. Wouldn't most wannabes also be students?

Damn, now your making me think. Technically, yes, but my loophole for this is if you are not in any way involved with flying or being taught in a helicopter (includes ground instruction), but you really want to then your a wanna-be. Now to distinguish(sp?) between pro. pilot and student pilot, it's if you get paid to fly or are paying to fly. If I use what Heloplt said one could argue that a 1,000 hr. (piston) pilot moving onto turbines is still a student, and they are, but for the sake of mine and others sanity I will keep it cut and dry.

Well, I voted as a professional, because I have my CFI, but am still learning so I consider myself a student, and I want to fly a big shinny turbine someday, so I'm also a want-a-be.... Guess I really needed to vote for all three :D

What I want to know is how anyone can afford to fly helicopters for fun. I can't even afford to fly a Cessna 172 for fun on my salary, and I'm a topped-out IFR helicopter captain.

Partnerships! I own 1/5 of an R22 Beta II, which costs us about $100/hr to fly, and 1/4 of an R44 Raven II, which we charge out at $200/hr.

Guest rookie101

"For Fun" or "Private Pilot" was something I was debating to put in as I haven't seen too many posts concerning how many of you fly for just the fun of it. I am trying to edit the poll for "Just For Fun" pilot's but I don't think I can edit the poll

What I want to know is how anyone can afford to fly helicopters for fun. I can't even afford to fly a Cessna 172 for fun on my salary, and I'm a topped-out IFR helicopter captain.

I did it the hard way Gomer, quit after 7 years, a well paying (50thousand back in 1986) job as a mechanical engineer, went to A&P school, bought a wrecked 300 from the insurance company, rebuilt it & been flying it & maintaining it myself for the past 17 years. Friend of mine has CFI & his own 300, & basically taught me to fly for free in my ship. I worked on his also. A&P/IA sure comes in handy for owning your own ship !

"For Fun" or "Private Pilot" was something I was debating to put in as I haven't seen too many posts concerning how many of you fly for just the fun of it. I am trying to edit the poll for "Just For Fun" pilot's but I don't think I can edit the poll

start new poll, this time dont leave out anything,,,,, hehehheheee :rolleyes:

I fly for fun, too, & hopefully by spring will be commercially rated.... but still just for fun...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...