Hello All!

I can finally say I have some flight hours under my belt!!!!

So far, I've flown a total of 3.6 hours. My instructor tells me i'm doing great.

What We/I Have done so far:

Straight & Level flight- I've pretty much nailed that, it's simple once you know the ins & outs.

Turns: A little more difficult to keep altitude & speeds.

Hovering: Out of 3.6 hours, I've had maybe 20 minutes where I could not hover. Today was AMAZING. I hovered extremely well in position, taxing right over the yellow lines, I was even able to stay above the taxi lines while the instructor spun the helicopter 360 degree...what fun that is! B)

Today we covered the traffic pattern, approaches, take offs, all in which the instructor said I did rather well. It's rather difficult to mentally manage manifold pressure, and speed while trying to keep the helo steady and climbing. Then leveling off while keeping in the pattern. Its even harder with the approach of setting the speed, attitude, direction all while trying to keep an eye on the landing spot. I was able to nail it 3 times out of 4 or 5 approaches. It's a good time. It's even more difficult to trim out the helicopter while focusing on all these things. :unsure: He also mentioned the traffic pattern is taught at around 15 hours, and i'm only at about 4 hours. I hope thats a good sign.

Tomorrow he's going to throw me into the auto-rotation routine.

He's also shown me settling with power, engine failure while hovering, and a bunch of other fun things.

But like I said, the instructor keeps mentioning that i'm rather far into the training, and I SHOULD solo under 20 hours. Where did all of you stand during your training? Am I already that advanced?

Either way, i'm having the time of my life! I haven't had any doubhts on my loans, etc since my first flight.

Take care & safe flying. Maybe i'll pop in tomorrow to explain how my auto's went :P

Edited by FordMustang0288

Hello All!

So far, I've flown a total of 3.6 hours. My instructor tells me i'm doing great.

Straight & Level flight- I've pretty much nailed that, it's simple once you know the ins & outs.

Hovering: Out of 3.6 hours, I've had maybe 20 minutes where I could not hover. Today was AMAZING. I hovered extremely well in position, taxing right over the yellow lines, I was even able to stay above the taxi lines while the instructor spun the helicopter 360 degree...what fun that is! B)

Today we covered the traffic pattern, approaches, take offs, all in which the instructor said I did rather well. It's rather difficult to mentally manage manifold pressure, and speed while trying to keep the helo steady and climbing. Then leveling off while keeping in the pattern. Its even harder with the approach of setting the speed, attitude, direction all while trying to keep an eye on the landing spot. I was able to nail it 3 times out of 4 or 5 approaches. It's a good time. It's even more difficult to trim out the helicopter while focusing on all these things. :unsure: He also mentioned the traffic pattern is taught at around 15 hours, and i'm only at about 4 hours. I hope thats a good sign.

He's also shown me settling with power, engine failure while hovering, and a bunch of other fun things.

But like I said, the instructor keeps mentioning that i'm rather far into the training, and I SHOULD solo under 20 hours. Where did all of you stand during your training? Am I already that advanced?

Either way, i'm having the time of my life! I haven't had any doubhts on my loans, etc since my first flight.

Take care & safe flying. Maybe i'll pop in tomorrow to explain how my auto's went :P

Where are you training?

fordmustang,

that is awsome, i really hope you keep us updated on each week of your flight training, atleast i would really like to know whats going on. that sounds really cool. you make me so jelous, if you were over here in california, i might have to show up and kick your ass. sounds like you are doing great and catching on quick. I( have heard the younger generation with video game experience catches on quicker than older pilots just starting. may be true. your reaction time and memory is really fresh...

keep us updated on how you are progressing through your training...

dlo

Yeah, one of the first things my instructor asked was if I had ever played any flight sims. I guess they payed off :-p. I'm training at New England Helicopter Academy in Norwood, Massachusetts.

I really do find that I'm catching on to things quickly, even the reading is coming along great. However, I just might have to take that as a challenge dlo. Too bad its going to be a bit before you start, never know, I may bump into you during our struggle for the first few hundred flight hours ;)

It really is a good time though, I will surely share my stories as they come.

I forgot to mention we flew over Gillette Stadium(home of the New England Patriots) & all of the players practicing the other day. As a diehard fan, I could not wipe the smile off my face.

Hello All!

That's wonderfull . A word of advice . do not under any circumstances deposit to much money into the school you are taking the training. If you can, try to pay as you go. Otherwise you will loose a lot but a lot of money the school you are going to if it's a honest one, won't mine how you pay them. I know a lot of school owners will read this article and that's the idea that way they will restrain themselves of reping off hard working people like you and me, that all we want its just learn to fly. And in the future teach others how to fly and give them the dream that we want today.

Hey again Ford!

Sounds like we're doing the same things, I'm at 4.0 now.... B)

Hovering was going ok yesterday with no wind, today at 14 knots it was harder,

managed 30 seconds at best. Same thing with the pattern, with a 14 knot crosswind

it's very different from flying in calm conditions. Forget trying to hit a spot, I was

trying to hit the runway......any part of it..... :D And taxiiing with tail wind! Hahaha..

I'm getting a back ache from all the pedal work...

Good news is I'm flying early tomorrow so wind should be calm, after today flying

without wind should be a walk in the park...

//S

I'm at about 5.9 after today. It's supposed to rain part of the day tomorrow. I hope I can still fly tomorrow afternoon :( . Well it's neat to have someone at about the same stage as me...& doing mostly the same things. Pattern work is really hard w/ remembering all the power settings & cross checks & headings & eeeeverything else. Once I get that down pat, i'll start to feel a little more comfortable. He went over another autorotation today, I'll probably start those tomorrow if I fly.

Wind is really tough. It's pretty neat to sit in a hover & spin 360 degrees. You can REALLY feel how the wind will fight you during one 180* portion, and zip you through the other half. Half of the time I thought the instructor was fighting me... :blink:

Trimming while in flight is still reallllllllllllllly difficult. I either spend too much time trimming & forget about everything else...or i'm practically wrestling the cyclic by the time we finish an approach.

As my instructor says every day..."If it were easy, everyone would be flying..."; I guess thats a good thing for all of us...

Take Care!

they say if you really don't know if you want to fly helicopters, then take a few lessons and usually by the fifth hour or so, you will really know if you are interested or not... is that the case with yoiu... has anything changed now that you have five hours under your belt, are you more interested or less interested, do you think you really made the right decision....... is flying as fun as you thought it would be after only having about one hour or so???? keep us up to date and let us know how you feel about the training now..... is your instructor good, could he be better???? or worse???? anyway let us know...

Is this a PPL you are doing? If so what books are you reading and when did you start reading them/it.

I was just wondering how much theory is actually involved with the ppl compared to the cpl, cause some of those books look scary :unsure:

If its just 2 books and perhaps an R22 manual, then do you start reading 2 weeks before? Or should you have read it 5 times before you start training and then read it as you go again?? (this q is to everyone)

After five hours, I feel that I have made the right decision. I'm a rather hard on myself, so of course its not as fun as it was in the beginning. With all the new manuvers & steps to remember...it can get rather frustrating & take the enjoyment out of it. However, with 6 hours, im most certain about my decision than I have been yet. Ive gotten into the reading & i'm SLOWLY starting to learn how the aircraft works...making me realize that I can actually do this. My instructor is as good as I could possibly have. He notices that i'm hard on myself & will always let me know that i'm doing ALOT better than I may think. If I have a question, he does his best to thoroughly answer it & ensure that I understand it. On top of that, he's got a great personality & shares many of the same interests as me. So those otherwise akward moments walking or in the helo...are usually spent talking about things. It makes things that much better.

The only part that I still regret is the loan for schooling. As christmas rolls around & other large expenses, I'm beginning to realize how I wont be able to afford gifts or items I may need. This is only paying the interest on the loan as well...I'm nervous to see how i'll manage with the full payments.

I'm doing the ppl, cpl, and instructor. As of right now, I have a starter kit that was made by the pilot shop. It has the Schweizer 300CB manual, the Schweizer flight manual, an exercise booklet, a sylabus for the ground lessons, and packets to study when I go for my ppl & cpl. It also came with the FAR/AIM bible & I purchased "The Rotorcraft Flight Manual" seperately.

Some of the sections covered right now are pretty difficult to understand, such as compass errors & how the pitot guages work(altimeter, vertical speed indicator, etc). After about an hour of ground, I'm a little more understanding of such, however, the instructor did mention that the CPL goes MUCH further into these sections. Some of the reading is CAKE, other reading is very difficult...

If anyone would like to talk about training, etc...I'm always open for conversation. You could reach me on AIM(FordMustang0288) if you would like.

Take Care & Safe Flying!

they say if you really don't know if you want to fly helicopters, then take a few lessons and usually by the fifth hour or so, you will really know if you are interested or not... is that the case with yoiu... has anything changed now that you have five hours under your belt, are you more interested or less interested, do you think you really made the right decision....... is flying as fun as you thought it would be after only having about one hour or so???? keep us up to date and let us know how you feel about the training now..... is your instructor good, could he be better???? or worse???? anyway let us know...

I'm at about 8 hours so far, and i found that after my fourth i so when I'd got hovering down, I really began to enjoy flying so much more, as I knew the basics (flying straight, turns, hovering sort of thing) and could focus and enjoy much more on what we were doing rather than trying to work out wtf was happening around me :P

Hello All!

The best thing you can do for your training is to maintain the positive, motivated attitude you have now right up until the checkride. Put in the time and everything else will fall into place. I know to many people who start flight training, both fixed wing and heli's, who just stop going for whatever reason. I went to the same school as you, out of Plymouth, and have nothing but good things to say about them. Good Luck

Total hours 8.6...... B)

Did my first cross country flight today, partly for fun and partly because I've really been struggling with keeping it straight and level, since the circuit is so small you're barely level until you have to turn again.

Did some hovering when I got back, 21 knot wind and I can follow the line and make turns! Wohooo!

My instructor is brilliant although a bit quirky at times. Sometimes it helps to make jokes to get someone to relax but I'm prone to giggling, you try hovering and giggling at the same time.... :blink:

I tend to be a bit too relaxed when it comes to studying, I didn't really read a thing until I started ground school. It's not very difficult, but it is a lot of terms and facts to absorb so reading in advance might have been a good idea. When it comes to flying, now after a few hours it just gets better and better. You master one little thing and you get another challenge to try... I'm starting to get a feel for it, which makes it something entirely different. I'm not just sitting there, I'm in control (well, sort of)...

Rain huh? I'm wondering what it would be like to fly with doors on....really this must be one of the best places to fly weather-wise....it's cooling down to a peak temperature of 30 C now which is just about right when you get up a bit, not too warm and you're certainly not cold...

keep it up ford you sound about the same as i did when i started. truth is some of that giddy "I'M ACTUALLY FLYING" feeling wears off, you calm down a little and your able to absorb more knowledge. In that excited feelings place comes the satisfaction of knowing you have a manuever locked in, and you can consciously feel every motion of the ship and feel in total control. You should soon start to enjoy being able to think about something else like a ground question while your flying or knowing exactly why something is happening in a manuever i.e physics, laws of gravity and such. keep at it, i'm 7 months in, half way through my commercial and never stopped loving it. good luck.

also, i am originally from RI and this christmas i planned to visit and take my family up. how many ships do they have? $/hr rental?

hatchet

Where in RI are you from hatchet, as I am also from RI. Woonsocket here.

The school currently has 2 aircraft. One is in the shop right now, so they've been flying the single aircraft back and forth between Plymouth & Norwood. I've actually never been to the Plymouth office & therefore, i'm not sure if there are any other aircraft out there. I know the norwood office has one instructor, and another instructor who flys between norwood & plymouth on different days. Maybe the owner instructs out there???(Very important question I should ask next time :-P). Its $220 per hour right now. They just raised the prices.

Doorgunner, who did you have for an instructor out there? Was it Mark?

My ground classes so far are following the 300CB syllabus. I dont have it in front of me, but he started by talking about the parts of the helo, then the engine & fuel system. He then showed me how each instrument guage functions. Thats about all we have done so far. Ive been reading up on the Airspace, in which he wants me to read alot on my own to save me money.

Today we flew 1.5 hours, putting me at about 9.8(If we counted correctly :-)).

Logbook Remarks:

Preflight

Normal Takeoff

Patterns

Normal Approach

-------------------

The new manuevers shown today were;

Steep Approach(He said I did extremely well)

Quick Stop or "Rapid deceleration"(aborted takeoff) Which is ...OK

AUTO-ROTATION!-I didnt full expect him to let me take control of the aircraft during it...but he did. Feels like you drop so much faster when you actually have control

He also showed me "running takeoffs & landings" (taking off & landing with insufficient power). The vertical takeoff was also shown....which was pretty neat.

There as a good amount done in today's lesson. However, at 1 hour, I was scared to hover. Now I have to yell at myself to slow down. I guess its just like everything else...your nervous at first, and then comfortable later

I THINK...i covered everyone's questions. Sorry for not replying in a bit...but theres alot of what i've learned.

Oh yeah, my instructor also took me into the ATC tower last week after my first experience with the radio. Very neat to see things from their point of view.

Take it easy all...safe flying!

They are trying to become 141 as we speak. I hope for my sake they do. Maybe I can find some grant or form of money to pay off some of this ridiculous loan.

Btw, I mentioned the rental situation to my instructor and he said that the person would need to fly 10 hours with them before renting.

Today we had a nice long flight at 1.7 hours. A tad bit expensive...but I got to practice auto-rotations a whoooole lot. But it was one of those bad days with the hovering & winds, and it just didnt feel right. Gotta take the good with the bad. So i believe that puts me at 11.5 hours...

More Auto's tomorrow...

Hey!

11.6 here...hehehe....did autorotations a lot yesterday. It's fun, but after over an hour of up and down I was starting to feel a bit sick.....today there's actually a little bit of rain..... :o

It rained here as well today. I didnt even make the trip out to the school...

One more chance tomorrow...and then I have the weekend off

Glad you all enjoying it I still feel the same after 7+years . with piston and turbine.

I was going to tell you about the time I nearly killed me and the instructor BUT.!!

Remember over confidence can and does KILL

Fly the dream fly500

Where in RI are you from hatchet, as I am also from RI. Woonsocket here.

The school currently has 2 aircraft. One is in the shop right now, so they've been flying the single aircraft back and forth between Plymouth & Norwood. I've actually never been to the Plymouth office & therefore, i'm not sure if there are any other aircraft out there. I know the norwood office has one instructor, and another instructor who flys between norwood & plymouth on different days. Maybe the owner instructs out there???(Very important question I should ask next time :-P). Its $220 per hour right now. They just raised the prices.

Doorgunner, who did you have for an instructor out there? Was it Mark?

My ground classes so far are following the 300CB syllabus. I dont have it in front of me, but he started by talking about the parts of the helo, then the engine & fuel system. He then showed me how each instrument guage functions. Thats about all we have done so far. Ive been reading up on the Airspace, in which he wants me to read alot on my own to save me money.

Today we flew 1.5 hours, putting me at about 9.8(If we counted correctly :-)).

Logbook Remarks:

Preflight

Normal Takeoff

Patterns

Normal Approach

-------------------

The new manuevers shown today were;

Steep Approach(He said I did extremely well)

Quick Stop or "Rapid deceleration"(aborted takeoff) Which is ...OK

AUTO-ROTATION!-I didnt full expect him to let me take control of the aircraft during it...but he did. Feels like you drop so much faster when you actually have control

He also showed me "running takeoffs & landings" (taking off & landing with insufficient power). The vertical takeoff was also shown....which was pretty neat.

There as a good amount done in today's lesson. However, at 1 hour, I was scared to hover. Now I have to yell at myself to slow down. I guess its just like everything else...your nervous at first, and then comfortable later

I THINK...i covered everyone's questions. Sorry for not replying in a bit...but theres alot of what i've learned.

Oh yeah, my instructor also took me into the ATC tower last week after my first experience with the radio. Very neat to see things from their point of view.

Take it easy all...safe flying!

I had about 30 or so hours when Mark became my instructor. I solod at 26 hours and got my PPL at just about 60 hours. Like I said before, just keep up what your doing, and keep that positive attitude. You should get to those milestones faster than I did.

Oh believe me, I'm very far from over confident. My instructor always yells at me for being so tough on myself :-p.

Mark was the guy that gave me my intro flight, but I've yet to have him as my instructor. I believe i'm going to have him next thursday, just to change things up, and for a second opinion as I get ready to solo

Who'd you have before Mark?

It rained here as well today. I didnt even make the trip out to the school...

One more chance tomorrow...and then I have the weekend off

Have just seen this forum and very interesting.

I live in London - UK and am 73 yrs young. I also have started R22 ppl-h lessons.

Time to date 12.1 Hrs. Loving every minute. First lesson on the 14 September but took 3 weeks off for a visit to Robinson Factory then eventually to Las Vegas. Factory visit most impressive.

Over here we have to do 45 Hrs minimum before obtaining the licence. The cost $400/Hr. !!!!!!!!

So far I have flow arround without to much trouble e.g. Hold course, Height changes, Start of Auto-Rotations, Hovering in upto 6 Kt wind, Spot turns, Follow outline of hover square, 6 Landings and about 5 Hover Taxi - the last was fairly good but he takes over to land by the school building, wonder why.......

However I made a mistake in taking a lesson two days after getting back from Phonix - jet lag - bad idea not recommended to try Hovering in 14 Kts of gusty wind. Instructor said it was good practice. Must admit the last 10 minutes he said was good but I felt really stressed and stiff.

Getting the bird to hover travel at 45 degrees to the wind and 4 to 5 foot above the grass in these conditions - nasty......... Felt rather depressed after this.

My next lesson is this Monday and hope to get the Hover sorted. It should have been today but weather teribble, upto 60 Kt gusts. :(

Over here the instuctors really push you as they say it is the best way to learn. Is it the same with your guys.

They say if you can fly a R22 it really sets you up for others as it is the most skittish, sure hope so.

Lets keep it going. :D