Louder than Def Leppard

Witch

I have a problem-well, a whole bunch actually.

I have a Dave Clark H10-30 headset with a dynamic mic. When using the intercom, the speakers in the headset are so loud that it's like standing next to the speakers at a Def Leppard concert. Yeah, I'm that old. When using the radio, the volume is at a more tolerable level.

I was thinking of swapping the dynamic mic for an electret mic. The reason for this idea is because the dynamic mic is amplified, and might be causing the blowout in my tympanic membrane. I figure the electret mic, since it isn't amplified, might not be so loud, like Culture Club.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Donations?

Later

Foam earplugs under the headset. Really. Cheap, effective and good noise reduction.

I tried that, but then I don't hear the radio. If I turn the radio up to hear the radio, then the volume gets louder in the headset and thus defeats the volume reduction.

Need I talk to an avionics dude? Need I call Dave Clark? Need I give my cat a bath?

Later

By the way, the microphone ohms out at 12m ohms. I was thinking that should be 150 ohms? Thoughts?

Edited by Witch

Sounds like the system requires balancing to much gain into the Intercom from radio, on some radios thee is a separate internal pot to adjust, is it the same with all head sets or only the DC you are using ?

It's definitely in the helicopter, not the headset, and changing mikes won't help. Turn down the volume on your audio box, and turn up the radio volumes. You have to balance the two using the volume controls. In some installations this is difficult to do, sometimes impossible, if it's just your sidetone that's the problem. In this case, a competent avionics tech can balance the sidetone and other audio.

Need a little more information such as type of helicopter/intercom/audio panel.

But, I've experianced a similar problem In R22 Beta's with the non-VOX intercom, the one that is eather "live" or "Push to Talk". With certain students who had their own headsets, Radio communication would be fine, but with the intercom in live mode or if both of us keyed intercom at once one voice would be too loud and one would be almost inaudible. I used a DC H10-16 with a electret and this occured when used with dynamics. When we got the Beta II's with the VOX interoms the problem went away.

Witch,

I have the same problem in the 22 if you mix -n- match headsets. Something about the independence or something like that. If you don't use the "hot mic" it's not as bad, but still a pain in the rear. :blink:

The only way I've found to fix it is to have matched headsets.......... guess you'll have to buy your instructor a new headset :D

Fly Safe

Clark B)

500, I played with a couple of other headsets and it seems that the volume is the same when using the intercom. Now here's where it gets interesting: I plugged all the headsets into the other jack and the volumes were considerabbly less for all headsets. I asked about this and a thought is that the radio might not be "balanced" in intercom mode. What that means, I have no idea. On a side note, another IP was mentioning that he gets a hum in his headset but only when he transmits on the radio.

Gomer, We have no "audiobox", just the radio. I haven't found a knob to adjust anything for an intercom. It's just a radio. We have no avionics guy here so I can't get anyone to give me more info about the radio.

Super, Yeah right! If anything he ought to buy me a headset;rent-to-own of course.

All-in-all, I think I might be able to live with this for now. Another thought is to put a different pot on my headset to lower the volume further. It might not be pretty.

Later

You obviously have an intercom. If there is no individual volume control for each pilot, then you have a very cheap intercom. If the school won't pay to get the things adjusted, then you might consider another school. If they're cheap on that, they're likely cheap on other maintenance, and that is never good.

Is it as loud for the instructor ? There is usually a volume control on the Icom

To set the level of speech, adj that and then adj radio volume I have only ever come across 1 Icom without a means of adjusting volume.

if the level is as high as you say have it noted as a Aircraft fault! and then mention hearing loss, to the instructor.