Debauchery

Why is it that Rotor Heads are so much better at partying that them fixed wing guy's????

Stuck wing jockeys are either too busy trying figure out their cross wind component, or how to tune an ADF. All while flying on auto pilot, man I don’t know how those guys cope with all that work load. :rolleyes: :lol:

Sorry heligirl, wasn't trying to exclude.

I really just started this thread to watch everyone talk a little smack. But, I do think that there is a bit of truth to it. A friend of mine was one of the founders of a company called Airial Salutions. This was a guy who seized the day, flew like a bat out of hell, and could party like there was no tomorrow. One day there wasn't any tomorrow. The point being that everyone dies, but not everyone really lives. It just seems like the people who gravitate to helos really live......

PS. 500E, I was just joking about the hookers and I only drink when I'm flying. :P

I truly didn't want to believe the stereotypes, but then I finally took my friend up on a Saturday afternoon of island hopping in his Cessna. It was the most boring flying I've ever done. Come to think of it, there wasn't much flying involved. Just get the thing in the air and start a conversation or munch a sandwich. Not to mention the crummy view b/c the nose of the darn thing was completely in the way. Just, eww. I never debated between fixed wing and rotor, but this just set it in concrete for me. As far as the pilot stereotypes....there is definitely a reason fixed wing pilots haul around those briefcases on wheels and helo drivers toss survival packs under the back seat. I think maybe fixed wingers are more focused on the destination and rotorheads on the trip. I never would have found helos if I didn't grab life by the horns to begin with. But thank heavens all those guys are happy flying far and fast, leaving the good stuff to the few of us who LOVE it more than anything. :wub:

I originally wasn't fond of this thread and hoped that it would get pulled. But now that it has evolved into a true aviation thread, albeit an old topic....

I have to disagree with with heligirl. Fixed-wing aviating is still a lot of fun. When I first got my PPL (airplane) I used to fly somewhere different, anwhere from 50 to 500 miles away almost every week. I'd pick a place at random, get a courtesy car, find a Hardee's, Arby's, etc. and grab a bite to eat while reading a local paper. Most of the time I'd engage a local in conversation before heading back to either the airport or a cheap motel. My favorite trip was because of a fuel stop I had to make returning from Louisville. I stopped at a small town in southern IL. It turns out that they were having the county fair and I walked around town as the parade was in full force. Bumped into the cutest lady who talked me into an orange sherbet shake and I ended up spending the evening enjoying the fair. I haven't made a trip like that in years, but I really enjoyed them.

The flying itself is fun too. And if you need a minute to look at a sectional, mess with the radio, or look at something else you can do so. Not like a helicopter where a newbie glancing away for just a few seconds can send you into a nosedive or leave you disoriented.

But as I said before, the actual flying of helicopters is so much more enjoyable for me. But there's room for all of us and no need to belittle others who have different (and cheaper, for sure) preferences.

Edited by Gerhardt

Wait. Gerhardt, it sounds like you actually agreed with me! Helos are about the flying and fixed wing is about the destination. Isn't that what I said? Now I'm confused.

I know I said thank heavens for those who like to go far and fast. How else would we get to our jobs? Since we all know what fun ferrying helos a few thousand miles isn't. I didn't like this thread in the beginning either, it sounded like a bash-airplanes topic which is just unnecessary. When I landed in a commercial jet a few weeks back, I know I was waaaay impressed when I realized we were full stop and I hadn't even noticed the touchdown. Usually it's the bounce-skid-squeal-shudder, welcome home. That was a first for me. I'm told it meant the human pilot was actually flying, instead of the autopilot. Any experts out there? It was definitely neat. I'm impressed.

I think maybe fixed wingers are more focused on the destination and rotorheads on the trip.

Damn- If that doesnt say it all.....!!

I originally wasn't fond of this thread and hoped that it would get pulled. But now that it has evolved into a true aviation thread, albeit an old topic....

Bumped into the cutest lady who talked me into an orange sherbet shake and I ended up spending the evening enjoying the fair.

Uh huh.

:P