Used Helicopters Does anyone buy them?

It seems the price of used helicopters are way over priced. Take a new r22 for around 220k with a 2200 tbo this equates to $100 per hour if you divide it out. Obviously this doesn't include maintenance costs but if you do this quick math on a used ship you end up with considerably higher hourly prices. As an example there are alot of 3 to 4 year old ships with 1200 hours on them for 150 to 160k which divides out to $150 to $160 per hour. And with the used ones you have to wonder what condition they are really in and how many overspeeds have they had on the engine and rotor systems! A seller can set any price they want but are they actually selling them for the 150 to 160k asking price? Any advice and input on this would be appreciated. Thanks

ironranger

ps. maybe fry could shed some light on this!

Actually after further thinking it is 3 times more expensive to fly the used helicopter then a new helicopter. If you buy the new one for 220k and fly 1200 hours and then sell it for 160k it will cost you $50 per hour. Whereas the person that buys it from you will pay $160 per hour to fly the remaining 1000 hours. I guess I didn't factor in the 20k core your left with but it still is considerably cheaper to fly the new helicopter. I guess that brings me back to my original question why buy the used helicopter at the outrageous prices? They should be selling for less then 100k.

ironranger

Actually after further thinking it is 3 times more expensive to fly the used helicopter then a new helicopter. If you buy the new one for 220k and fly 1200 hours and then sell it for 160k it will cost you $50 per hour. Whereas the person that buys it from you will pay $160 per hour to fly the remaining 1000 hours. I guess I didn't factor in the 20k core your left with but it still is considerably cheaper to fly the new helicopter. I guess that brings me back to my original question why buy the used helicopter at the outrageous prices? They should be selling for less then 100k.

ironranger

If you want to give me your "core" for 20K...a bird that is airworthy, with records, and just happens to reach its 2199th hour...I'll give you a check now, sight unseen. The current value of an R22BII timed out is pretty close to 40-45K..non IFR. Thats where part of your calculation is off...in the timed out value.

So, lets look again. 160K with 1200 hours left. Minus 40 K for timed out value..equals 120K for 1200 hours..or $100 an hour. Besides the price of R22's just continues to climb...which keeps making the resale values higher..especially an IFR training model. I could have bought a brand new R22Beta in 1990 for about 110K.

Just wait another 2-3 years when Frank announces the end of the R22 line. Just my opinion, but, he has to make some room for the R66 somewhere...and he makes a ton more money on the 44 line.

The biggest question in my opinion with used ships..is who has been maintaining them..

Goldy

Always looking for a low hour 500 or 300 that requires work.

Theres a 269 for sale right now on ebay.

It seems like they are all overpriced.

I look at used A/C for sale almost everyday, thinking the right one for me will pop up any day now.

The thought that keeps coming back to me is that there are alot of used 44's out there. Someone buys one, uses it for close to 1000 hours, and then sells it. That way they get an aircraft under factory warranty, performes only minor maintenance, and passes the overhaul cost off to the next guy. Sounds good to me, too.

I can't help but think though that sooner or later the market is going to get flooded with used A/C like this and the cost are going to come down, at least a little.

Just a thought . . .

I agree that one day the market will get saturated with used birds and prices will drop. I paid 48K for a 269A in May and all AD's had been complied with. Now I see a bunch out there pushing 100K for nothing more than what I got. Still like to find a good 80's model 500 D or E in the 300K range. Not gonna happen any time soon I'm afraid.

Some of these birds have been on the market for 6 months to a year. Something has gotta give.

;)

Gary

Afetr doing some further research it looks like a person is better off buying fairly new with low hours and then turning around and selling at around the 1000 to 1200 mark. Probably miss out on a lot of the maintenance and other critical issues. The hourly rate seems cheaper with better reliability.

November I do like the 47's but the maintenance would be an issue for me up in my neck of the woods.

ironranger