Looking for a clamp

Witch

I've been looking on the net and at the local hardware stores for a certain kind of clamp with no luck. I'm wondering if any of ya'll might know where I might be able to find a clamp that looks kinda like the one in the sketch?

Thanks.

Later

post-2940-1183697209_thumb.jpg

My dad has those in his basement, but they're big. Used for holding part A to part B while glue or something dried. I used them to hold steambent wood to a mold while it dried. But the small ones are prob 5" end to end with up to a 4" clamp-able area. C-clamp I think is the name. How apt. :)

I've been looking on the net and at the local hardware stores for a certain kind of clamp with no luck. I'm wondering if any of ya'll might know where I might be able to find a clamp that looks kinda like the one in the sketch?

Depending on the scale, try looking at someplace that does automotive tools like SnapOn. I've got a clamp like that for locking the pneumatic struts that hold automotive hoods open so you don't get beaned while working on the engine. For something larger try a bicycle handlebar mount for a GPS.

Whats the maximum size opening and what are you trying to clamp (diameter)

Oh, I didn't think about that part. Max opening about 4" and pipe diameter is about an inch and a half. It's for clamping onto the frame of my bike so I can mount a video camera on it.

Oregon Scientific has a "Sportcam" you can mount onto a frame or helmet or whatever. It's $130 and the video-according to their website-is rather good. I'm wanting to just use the hi-8 camera I have now. Maybe in a few years, I'll get a digital videocamera. In the meantime, I'll settle for the clamp.

Later

Oh, I didn't think about that part. Max opening about 4" and pipe diameter is about an inch and a half. It's for clamping onto the frame of my bike so I can mount a video camera on it.

D'Oh! Go hit a camera store, they have all kinds of camera mounts.

Thanks.

Later

Ummm....check out: McMaster-Carr in search, I typed clamps, and check out the cantilever, this might work for you. McMaster Carr is the place that has pretty much everything, and the prices are too bad either. They're in City of Industry in CA, but they can overnight or 2 day, etc. to ya. I've used them a lot!

R91

For camera mounts,

http://www.ram-mount.com/camera_mount/camera_mounts.htm

and for the clamps,

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/aviationmounts.htm

Thses are the mounts that came with my GPS. So far there have been very few places that they could not be mounted.

The clamps under the aviation section coupled with the camera mounts, and you should have a set-up that works. After reading the post, it got me to thinking, so I am about to order one myself.

Hey Rotor, that cantilever clamp just might do the trick, thanx.

Later

post-2940-1183786024_thumb.jpg

That would work if the pipe were an inch in diameter. I'm looking to clamp it on the skid strut, and U bolts would take too long to take off if the chief pilot were to show up. I need something quick and simple-like the cantilever clamp. Oh, vise grips are out too.

Thanx anyway.

Later

Hey Witch

Found these on ebay 3 of 6000 clamps.I don't have time to go through them all but i'd say you could probably find what you are looking for there.

//cgi.ebay.com/Clamp-Tripod-for-Slave-Flash-Camera-Stand-New_W0QQitemZ290136934632QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3325QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

//cgi.ebay.com/Super-C-Clamp-Stud-for-Studio-Light-Support-System-CC_W0QQitemZ220128186305QQihZ012QQcategoryZ79008QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

//cgi.ebay.com/New-4-o-clamps-light-clamps-quick-clamps-1-5-to2_W0QQitemZ270142378429QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29944QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Later

Again, Ram Mount.

http://www.mountinginnovations.com/

RAM-B-259U 1" x 1" U-Channel Clamp with 1" Ball, look under the bases tab. This could be mounted on the step, and removed quickly. 21.00$

RAM-B-237U RAM Ball with 1/4 x 20 Thread Stud, for the Camera. 11.00$

Or, a little pricier, but probably safer, QREMM-SL Video Camera or Still Camera Mount 60.00$

Then you need an arm.

RAM-B-201U-A 1-3/4 Inch RAM Double Socket Arm 12.00$

I just bought a ball mount for my camera. I will be using it this weekend on a ride. I mounted the video camera to the bars of my motorcycle.

Yeah, that's close, but it's still not quite big enough. It needs to fit at least a 2' pipe.

Later