robinson

500E

Reading about all those main rotor separation accidents gives me the willies.

One tape recorder, and a subsequent investigation by Australian authorities solved most of these issues, and the added training of both the SFAR and Robinson safety course. BUT, without the input of the recorder they would have written this one off as some pilot error and moved on..

Sounds like a lot of these accidents involved mast bumping...not necessarily as the root cause.

My instructor warned me about that before we started lessons, and he emphasized the danger of low-g maneuvers. Every time we go through a downdraft or do something that makes my seat drop I am concerned about mast bumping.

How severe do low G maneuvers have to be to cause concern?

Goldy,

What recording are you refering too? The accident from, umm what was that schools name....they are fixed wing only now.....darn, can't think..ahh, was it Sierra Academy? I never found any info on that one. Thought they just called it unknown reasons.

Thanks

Goldy,

What recording are you refering too? The accident from, umm what was that schools name....they are fixed wing only now.....darn, can't think..ahh, was it Sierra Academy? I never found any info on that one. Thought they just called it unknown reasons.

Thanks

N83858 with Sierra...the student had a recorder taping the whole event, from that they could determine rotor horn/ rotor rpm, etc....that is the incident that caused them to re-open several closed investigations and that was the beginning of the SFAR...

Sounds like a lot of these accidents involved mast bumping...not necessarily as the root cause.

My instructor warned me about that before we started lessons, and he emphasized the danger of low-g maneuvers. Every time we go through a downdraft or do something that makes my seat drop I am concerned about mast bumping.

How severe do low G maneuvers have to be to cause concern?

Nicepants- remember it is technically not the low G that gets you...its your reaction to it ! Just slow down during the bumpy stuff and keep the rotor loaded...sometimes I even add some collective to keep the weight on it. Years ago , we used to practice lowG's...oh what fun. The turning moment is rapid and will put you into a nose down right bank. You know several seconds before if you are getting into a LowG possibility.....when that happens remind yourself of easy aft cyclic...not left cyclic. I've gotten pretty bumpy without ever getting into Low G....but I slow way down 45-50 knots sometimes in thermals.. When we used to practice it, we would climb nose up and then push over to force a low G...kids don't ever try this at home!!