Mini 500?

permison

I am looking at purchasing a mini 500 kit helicopter. I am hoping to use it to build time and commute to work on a rare occasion. The price is right for something fun to play with. Anyone have any experience with them. How would having Mini500 time look on my resume? Would a hiring company consider it different from R22 or any other small training aircraft? Comments good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Permison

It seems like some of the fatalities are just complete pilot error or lack of maintenance, out of 25 reports on that page 12 incidents people walked away from uninjured, 7 where killed, and 6 were injured.

I went to youtube.com to watch some expairimental heli flights, and most of the pilots dont wear helmets.... is this due to erogance or in a crash is a helmet just not enough protection??

Imagine the R22 as an experimental helicopter in the early days and how people would react to it?...

The mini500 suffers from a 2 stroke powerplant among other things.... alot of the accidents were engine failure (multiple times sometimes) The 2 stroke has never had good luck in aviation with mixture issues and carburator problems being a hang-up... I know someone is going to say some kit that uses a 2 stroke that is awesome....(believe me I am a 2 stroke fan) but I don't believe so far it has been a good aviation engine.....That said...

The mini500 had growing pains... if lawyers hadn't shut down the production it could have possibly been refined thru the years but too many deaths in the early times stopped that.

It WOULD auto.... better than a r22.

I wouldn't be caught trying to fly one.... too many issues and no more factory parts...

I don't think anyone would dispute it is a helicopter and the hours in one are valid as any other helicopter. I would stay away.. that's why you can find them for under $12k when they sold new for $25k...

Better off in an older rotorway.

I think helicopter time is helicopter time. I know someone who works for PHI that had almost all his previous time in a home-built. The Mini 500 is a tough way to do it though, as you may not live

through the experience. 1badz32,you are in desperate need of spellcheck and please get rid of that goofy picture!

Edited by helonorth

I think helicopter time is helicopter time. I know someone who works for PHI that had almost all his previous time in a home-built. The Mini 500 is a tough way to do it though, as you may not live

through the experience. 1badz32,you are in desperate need of spellcheck and please get rid of that goofy picture!

Now, Now ,Now HN, Are you giving a fellow Minnesotan a hard time? :blink: :D

There have been some previous threads on the Mini 500. Yes, the NTSB reports are filled with incidents. It would be interesting to know how many are flying to get some idea of accidents vs. hours. I dont think there are many hours each year put on these ships, thus I imagine a rather high accident rate.

There are a couple VR members that have actually flown or owned a M 500, I will leave it to them to comment on the ships abilities..I am not qualified for that one myself !

I can say I have been in winds and updrafts many times in an R22 when I wished I was flying something bigger...I could not imagine trying these trips in something as small as the 500.

Goldy

Sorry for being harsh to the new guy. Goldy, why would less hours flown equate into more accidents?

I do not know much about the Mini 500, but I do know they are long out of business and spares

would be a problem. According to Wikipedia (no authority on anything, I know) the Mini 500

was plauged with "faulty design, workmanship and materials in critical componets". My former

fixed wing flight instructor had to dive for cover when one crashed in front of him while he

was working the line. The instruction manual said to use a type of sealant on the fuel system

that dissolved and blocked the fuel filter. Nice.

Edited by helonorth

The mini500 suffers from a 2 stroke powerplant among other things.... alot of the accidents were engine failure (multiple times sometimes) The 2 stroke has never had good luck in aviation with mixture issues and carburator problems being a hang-up...

big 2nd!

IIRC the ski-doo 583cc was a high performance engine... meaning it probebly has a higher compression ratio than "most" sled engines.

Typicly performance engines are much more "unforgiving" meaning they will self destruct easier if oporating conditions are not perfect. If one reads through the NTSB's report, most of the incidents report power failier.

I dont believe the 583cc rotax is able to maintain the duty cycle nessecary for heli flight. Im not sure how the M500's creators ever decided on this engine but it seems to be a large short coming of the machine.

On the other hand the turbine powered mini looks like it would be a much better option, granted the price goes up x10.

Revolution Helicopters

Talon »» Mini~500.

I love my homebuilt helicopters i have 3 my self. The Rotorway and the 2 Adams Wilson variants.

Adams Wilson AW-95

The Mini 500 is a crazy kit. We had problems with ours and after laying out the parts and running the

calculate across everything the math didn't add up. Parts to big, parts to small. So we opted to sale or kit and buy the AW's.

So I guess what I'm saying is, be very careful putting this thing together. (or any kit)

I didn't get to fly her, But my dad was keen on her ability's.

With a few extra weeks he said he could of had her up and going.

From what I do understand there is also a company out there called Liberty Technologies, Inc. who do put out there own versions of the Mini~500 then shoe horn in a turbine. At 100,000 ill stick to my AW-95.

Liberty's link~

~LD

Goldy, why would less hours flown equate into more accidents?

What I was trying to get at was there are a lot of accidents considering how many , and how little time these birds seem to be flown. If you were able to tabulate the accident rate per 100,000 hours flown I think it would be horrible.

I dont think I have seen a 500 with more than 200 flight hours on it yet....

Thats where I was headed with my comment...

Hi Lana !!

Goldy