WANT A HUEY?

67november

How do those even get in that kind of shape?

Think its airworthy?

When these things are surplussed, they are "de-mil'ed" and sent out to either be reutilized or die. The military doesn't really care as long as they don't have to deal with it. Once they go through Defense Reutilization (DRMO), they usually end up with a public agency user. Some (I'm assuming this one) end up in well intentioned private hands that end up biting off more than they can chew.

When these things are surplussed, they are "de-mil'ed" and sent out to either be reutilized or die.

I was thinking about starting a post about this.... Are any Apaches ever de-mil'ed? I want one so bad.... or at least to fly it once, but I don't want to do four years for the chance... but oh man, that would be sweet!

I was thinking about starting a post about this.... Are any Apaches ever de-mil'ed? I want one so bad.... or at least to fly it once, but I don't want to do four years for the chance... but oh man, that would be sweet!

Capital ships like an Apache are striped down tell nothing can be used and then scrapped for the metals as are M-16's and any other item that the government doesn't want to face in battle, They stopped offering anything in the capital category after WW2 and more and more items now appear on that list. Sadly the colt 45ACP. showed up on the list the year my dad was going to buy a lot of 9 in less than perfect order, for 75 bucks a weapon. <~ Dad still cant get past that one.

Not alot of Cobra's got out as they slammed the door on that craft as well. I was told and I can be wrong that Bell will not support this aircraft in any way other than a military contract and with in military operations only. (AH-1 Cobra)

I was also told less that 300 Cobras AH-1's were released on to the public and now only 135 or so are left and only 5% of them are in working order according to my dad and his years of know people who had them.

In truth Ill take a UH-1 over the Cobra or any other attack craft, It would be insane insurance to cover.

Capital ships like an Apache are striped down tell nothing can be used and then scrapped for the metals as are M-16's and any other item that the government doesn't want to face in battle, They stopped offering anything in the capital category after WW2 and more and more items now appear on that list. Sadly the colt 45ACP. showed up on the list the year my dad was going to buy a lot of 9 in less than perfect order, for 75 bucks a weapon. <~ Dad still cant get past that one.

Not alot of Cobra's got out as they slammed the door on that craft as well. I was told and I can be wrong that Bell will not support this aircraft in any way other than a military contract and with in military operations only. (AH-1 Cobra)

I was also told less that 300 Cobras AH-1's were released on to the public and now only 135 or so are left and only 5% of them are in working order according to my dad and his years of know people who had them.

In truth Ill take a UH-1 over the Cobra or any other attack craft, It would be insane insurance to cover.

Where did you come from?!?!?!

Can I get a job at "I Love Blueberry pancakes with peanut butter and jelly"?

Edited by Sparker

Government agencies can get surplus aircraft (including some older Cobra airframes) through the 1033 program. There are stipulations put on them when 'sold'. After that, they have been known to make their way into the civilian market.

Non federal or non DOD agencies get these donated from surplus through DRMO. A lot of police agencies got OH-58 and OH-6 ships for patrol ships this way. Some have even gotten UH-1's. However, because none of them have a standard CofA, it can get complicated to sell them to other than another government agency. They technically have to be used in the "Public Use" category, not Part 91.

Department of Forestey ended up with some AH-1 airframes and they are being used for firefighting. We had one civilian operator of an AH-1 at our place, and he flew it quite regularly. I haven't seen the AH-1 in a while, but he flies his UH-1 and Bell 222 regularly.