Robinson

500E

Airworthiness Directives; Robinson Helicopter Company Models R22, R22 Alpha, R22 Beta, R22 Mariner, R44 and R44 II Helicopters

Preamble Information

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT.

ACTION: Final rule; request for comments.

SUMMARY: This amendment adopts a new airworthiness directive (AD) for the specified Robinson Helicopter Company (Robinson) helicopters. This action requires a one-time visual inspection for skin separation along the leading edge of blade skin aft of the skin-to-spar bond line on the lower surface of each blade and in the tip cap area. This action also requires a "tap test'' for detecting a separation or void in both bonded areas. This action also requires repainting any exposed area of the blades. If any separation or void is detected, replacing the blade before further flight is required. Thereafter, before each flight, this AD also requires checking for any exposed (bare metal) along the skin-to-spar bond line on the lower surface of each blade near the tip. If any bare metal is found, a mechanic must inspect the area. This amendment is prompted by 11 reports of blade debond, some occurring in flight causing the pilot to feel excessive vibrations and land, and some found during routine maintenance. The actions specified in this AD are intended to detect blade skin debond and to prevent blade failure and subsequent loss of control of the helicopter.

DATES: Effective January 18, 2008.

Airworthiness Directives; Robinson Helicopter Company Models R22, R22 Alpha, R22 Beta, R22 Mariner, R44 and R44 II Helicopters

Preamble Information

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT.

ACTION: Final rule; request for comments.

SUMMARY: This action also requires a "tap test'' for detecting a separation or void in both bonded areas.

DATES: Effective January 18, 2008.

Break out the old pre-1965 quarters !!

I won't have to worry about this one. I've got new blades coming in next week. The old ones lasted almost 500 hours.

Goldy

You only got 500 hours out of a set of blades? What happened?

And here I figured the quarter comment would get the first question. Overspeed took out a set of spindle bearings, cracked one blade, and they couldnt match the one good blade...so new blades, new bearings, its gonna fly great for the next student to screw it up.

Gotta love it !

Goldy

And here I figured the quarter comment would get the first question. Overspeed took out a set of spindle bearings, cracked one blade, and they couldnt match the one good blade...so new blades, new bearings, its gonna fly great for the next student to screw it up.

Gotta love it !

Goldy

At what per-cent NR did blade to crack?

-Thx

At what per-cent NR did blade to crack?

-Thx

Dont know, I wasnt flying it at the time ( Of course I wasnt flying it...do you think I would let the rotor overspeed !!)

Honestly it did develop a symptom I have heard before...that it takes excessive forward pressure to maintain normal airspeeds.....take that and store it for future use.

Safe flying, Goldy

Yes, the ol' quarter is a perfect match for the "ring tap test"...... a nice crisp ring when you tap the structure indicates a good bond where as a dull thud indicates a debonded area... now imagine doing that on a few sets of blades and being very thorough about it.. talk about boring.