looking for other "OLD" guys

garvey

1000 hours is not experienced, that's just barely enough to get a job. Experienced is closer to 5000 or more. Even with that, you'll start out at the bottom every time you change jobs.

Yes, I mostly enjoy flying, I just dislike some of the crap that goes with it, such as driving to various places I don't want to be to work. The combination of low pay and poor working conditions, and knowing that you could lose it all due to a medical condition that would be a minor inconvenience to anyone else, does wear on you after a few years. Starry-eyed kids, or men having middle-age crises, don't want to believe it, but it's a fact. If I didn't enjoy flying I would have quit and sold used cars or whatever, decades ago.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

I just dislike some of the crap that goes with it

Gomer,

I hate to admit this, but I have had 18 jobs since high school in different fields of course. And all have crap that goes with it. You just have to choose the crap you can live with or tolerate, :D

If I didn't enjoy flying I would have quit and sold used cars or whatever, decades ago.

Gomer as someone rather experienced in sales I might recommend that you keep your day job. I can just hear it now " Well this real fine piece of crap was only driven by Grandma..the ol bitc*"

I think you just might make a better helo pilot than a used car salesman !

BTW, I'm 48 and refuse to be called an old guy !!!

If I ever find anything that I do really well I'm going to stick with it-

gft

My old man (he is old....67) always told me to find what your good at and stick with it......... If your good at being a Pr**k, well then be the best Pr**k you can be. :o

Served him well over the years. ;)

Clark B)

yea....i guess gomer is rightabout the midlife crisis thing.....but sometimes you have to look at it like this ...........if your laying on your death bed probally the biggest regret is not trying the things you always wanted to try ............the hangman's noose has a way of clarifying the thought process----Benjamen Franklin

Garvey :huh: :angry: :rolleyes: :D :o <_< ;) :mellow:

Hey .....I know that there are other older guys thinking about making a career change like me ...............I am just curious as how many are out there . I am 44 and am torn right now........do it or not . Just wanted to get a thread going with guys input as to the dilema which we face at this stage in the game.. It seems that you read one post and feel good about it and then anouther where you say WTF am I thinking........figured there must be a similar thought process out there ....Garve :mellow:

I just turned 46 years old but I dont look a day over 50. Married. Had all five kids while I was young. The youngest will be done with high school in 4 1/2 years. I am going for it. I found a school I feel very comfortable with. Owner has a great attitude. Instructors confirm everything he has told me. I just put in my loan app with SallieMae, thats a long shot from what I read lately but you never know until you try. I won't get a dime if I don't ask for it. I will continue to work full time. ( sort of- I'm a firefighter). I will learn and then teach opposite my fire schedule until I retire in 4 1/2 years. After that who knows. I would love to fly tours in the Grand Canyon or Hawaii or consider the GOM for a couple years. It will not be my first big career change. 15 years ago I left the navy after 8 years with a wife and three kids to support. So I feel like If I've done my home work. Go into this with both eyes open, expect set backs from time to time. A leap of faith doesn't have to be the biggest scariest thing you ever do in life. One big important issue I should point out also is that I have the support of my wife. Without that it would be pointless. I would rather fail trying than never try at all. And I want to be in the big fat middle of life not watching it go by. Hooyaa!

I'm 40 1/2 years YOUNG! I was never able to give up my day job to pursue the flying gig! BUT, now that I have my bread & butter, I will get the CFI, and teach on the weekends, that's the goal! Flying in the GOM, Grand Canyon, nah.....although I'd love to work a season at Temsco...I know it's tidious, and repetitive, but you are in Alaska! That's my wish....the wife doesn't see that way! :)

I'm glad I'm my age, I've learned a lot over the years, I'm not a knucklehead pilot like a was when I was 24....I'm just a different person now, let's call it SEASONED!

My 1.50!

R91

I did a career change when I was 41, in 2004. CFI in March 2005, started with instruction, only for a few hundred hours when I was hired by one of my students for teaching and flying him. Not a lot of flying but a decent salary. After that (Summer 2007) got a job flying a corporate R44. Since December 2007 I'm flying an EC120 for a corporate owner with a very good salary. (I don't even have the 1000 hours RW)

When I was hired by the student I had to move to Europe. Now I'm flying in Ireland. The moving around is a real pain in the B**, so I guess I will stick it here for at least a few years, the pay is good but only between 200-300 hrs a year. I never regret my career change from IT.

Hey .....I know that there are other older guys thinking about making a career change like me ...............I am just curious as how many are out there . I am 44 and am torn right now........do it or not . Just wanted to get a thread going with guys input as to the dilema which we face at this stage in the game.. It seems that you read one post and feel good about it and then anouther where you say WTF am I thinking........figured there must be a similar thought process out there ....Garve :mellow:

I'll be turning 44 next week. I got my CFI in 2001, didn't have 300 hrs so I flew SIC and had a nasty crash six months later. I only flew again a couple of months ago for less than an hour and it was harder than I remember it being. Now I'm training as an x-ray tech and seriously considering getting back into flying, either getting my CFII or flying any job that someone would be willing to hire me to do (except heli-logging SIC). Unfortunately, I might run out of flying money if I continue with x-ray tech training. I've got to make a decision soon, the summer semester tuition is due in April. A smart man would contnue on with the education and go for a flying career after getting an x-ray tech certificate, especially the way the economy is going, but then again, if I were a smart man, I'd be able to buy my own helicopter by now.