looking for other "OLD" guys

garvey

Hey .....I know that there are other older guys thinking about making a career change like me ...............I am just curious as how many are out there . I am 44 and am torn right now........do it or not . Just wanted to get a thread going with guys input as to the dilema which we face at this stage in the game.. It seems that you read one post and feel good about it and then anouther where you say WTF am I thinking........figured there must be a similar thought process out there ....Garve :mellow:

Hey garvey,

It is a hard call to make for sure. It all depends on your likes and dislikes, too. I am 39 and started part time in July 04, I still don't have my PPL yet. Its a long long road going part time, esp with a long commute like I have been doing. I have been looking the last year trying to find another job that will pay the bills and allow more flexablilty for training. So far have not found it yet.

At the Heli Expo mentoring class,this topic came up. The lady on the panel from Evergreen did the part time thing too because thats the only option she had. She, like I don't recommend doing it this way. Its pretty demanding and hard to keep focused and positive about the training.

If you can take time off to do each rating seperate? This would be the least way to go if you cannot go full time. I wish it was a little easier to do, but I guess it would allow too many pilot into the market.

I don't have any good ideas at this point other than work part time, night job, or own your own business. I am working on the own your own buz now, don't have all the details or finances worked out yet.

Good Luck

Yea i gotcha guys........I had a few hours back in 87 on R22's and have been working on my fixxed wing , but it does seem like the challenge........go full time and skip everything else or keep the job and do it in 3 wek spurts ( I work offshore ).........its tough call ...it is hard to concentrate if you do it in chunks though .

When i would fly to the rigs I would pick the pilots brains and they were into the job but far from making big $$$$$$$....but they enjoyed it . I am single w no kids so thats not a factor but we all have bills though . I wonder for someone who has gone the whole pro pilot course if they have advice on 3 weeks at a time .

Has anyone got any views on Bristow or anywhere down Florida way ?????????? I am freezing my ass off in Rhode Island and that looked like an ok school when I visited it last year....... Garve :huh:

Or twice, according to Ian Fleming. :rolleyes: I'm 60, and if I had it to do over, I would stay far, far away from helicopters. But it's your life, and your money, and your (lack of) retirement funds.

Maybe you should have done a few other things differently

Or twice, according to Ian Fleming. :rolleyes: I'm 60, and if I had it to do over, I would stay far, far away from helicopters. But it's your life, and your money, and your (lack of) retirement funds.

Maybe if you're going to post a response like that, it would be helpful to explain yourself to the original poster.

I think it has less to do with age and more to do with place in life.

Some 40+ year olds are husbands and fathers earning 6-figures and supporting a mortgage, car payments, 401K, Roth IRA's, and 529 plans. It would be very hard for this "older person" to switch careers at all, let alone to one as hard to break into as commercial helicopter pilot.

Other 40+ year olds may be living with their mom rent free and working at Blockbuster Video... B)

funny story: i went to heli expo for the sole purpose of trying to run into gomer pylot; it never happened. he's my favorite VR sour-celebrity! on the other hand, hanging out with shaun coyle was a great experience too.

as for the "old guy" situation:

gomer pylot flies and he's 60. you are 44. I'm 21. that gives you 16 years (more than half of my years) to fly and make money and/or whatever else you want helicopter piloting to take you, up until you catch up with G. Py... i say go for it.

I obviously don't know your financial situation. The best thing for you to do is sit down and evaluate your personal financial situation. Make sure that you already have a good retirement plan in place and don't pull money from your retirement to fund your flight training. See how you sit on paying for the flight training in cash avoid loans. Don't run in on it which it sounds like you've done your homework, so ultimately you need to decide what you want to do. It's your life and you've only got one (depending on your beliefs i guess) so make it worthwhile to YOU. That's my thoughts anyway

At the Heli Expo mentoring class,this topic came up. The lady on the panel from Evergreen did the part time thing too because thats the only option she had.

Mechanic- you were in the mentoring class...I was there too ! Hanging out in the last row in back. Anyway that was a great story of a gal going from 200 hours in an R22 into an S 64 logging. Gotta love it !

Goldy

I started at 46. ...49 now, with 2000+ total hours. I had flown a little many years prior. I went into it full time, after being laid off from a desk job making many times more than I make now. It was and is still a good thing for me, mental health wise. ;) Depends on what you want and where you are in life, at least as far as I'm concerned. To each their own. :)

I think it has less to do with age and more to do with place in life.

Some 40+ year olds are husbands and fathers earning 6-figures and supporting a mortgage, car payments, 401K, Roth IRA's, and 529 plans. It would be very hard for this "older person" to switch careers at all, let alone to one as hard to break into as commercial helicopter pilot.

And that is the situation I find myself in...

As a 40 year old, I need at least another 10 years in corporate before I can even think about a full time switch, 6 figures to helicopter pilot starting wages, just does not compute, even with rose colored lenses on.

Thankfully, those that can't do, can still teach. I'll be instructing part time for about 8 years. It will probably take another 2 to get my CFII, as I'm doing the pay as you go route and have very little time to train due to my work schedule.

Tough Choices!!!!!! In 1990 I interviewed for a co-pilot position flying S-61's with New York Airways( since defunct for a variety of reasons).I was a new comm rotorcraft pilot using my own funds to pay for flight training and still working a regular full time job with house,wife kids-you get the picture.I was offered the job for the starting salary of $13,000.annually! Needless to say I passed and have no regrets to this day. Fast forward to today-I've retired have no turbine time to speak of,and have been told by experienced guys quality time and not pattern time in an r-22,is what will get you into a heli job.I don't have and can't justify spending thousands more for turbine time to get a job that pays no $$$$ for the experience and dollars it took to get there. Just my own experience.

Mechanic- you were in the mentoring class...I was there too ! Hanging out in the last row in back. Anyway that was a great story of a gal going from 200 hours in an R22 into an S 64 logging. Gotta love it !

Yip, was in the LH second row in the tan shirt with blue stripes and the white Heli Expo bag! :P Would've been nice to meet up with you for a few minutes. We left about 30 min's after the class.

I don't know I'm 42 and I have done all my flying on the side. Flying airplanes at first, worked my way up into multi's, flew around in the middle of the night and went to work the next day, all for "fun." The helo thing happened by accident. always wanted to fly one, bit the bullet, took my vacation and went to Florida and received my private add-on. My life went to hell from that point on, was addicted to the damn things. Now a cfi in helicopters and airplanes, take care of and manage 3 airplanes and 2 helicopters. My one and only helicopter student just went and bought himself a nice R44 Instrument trainer, no rating, new helicopter, life is good again. I still work the aviation side as a second job, but it makes the day job more bearable. I do have a decent gob in the real world and the cost of living here in Indiana is about as cheap as it gets. Like many I looked at walking away, but just couldn't get myself to do it. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't. If you can make it work, keep the day job and just start flying, have fun with it and see where it takes you, you just never know.

Oh, and sense when did "40" become "old"? :huh:

Fly Safe

Clark B)

44 years old and restarting a second career. Right now I make my REAL money in software, but make extra dough teaching fixed wing at the nearby Navy flying club and flying Blackhawks for the FLARNG. If a technician or AGR position comes up, I may bail on my software job.

EDIT: I'll pull my questions out of the body and put them at the end.

I'm 36 and absolutely want to fly. I've been in IT for about 8 years and got sick of corporate America pretty quickly when a certain huge IT company bought out my subcontract from another huge company and crapped all over us. I've been looking for my 'calling' for a while. Since a kid I always loved jets and helis but only recently considered that I(!) might be able to fly... I'm not married but don't have cash sitting around to pay for flight lessons out of pocket.

I've considered going the full-time study route with loans (while working part-time to pay the bills) but hearing stories about making $26,000/year after spending 50 to 75 thousand dollars is nuts. I could go get an EMT cert. in six months (already had one once) and drive an ambulance and make that.

I don't have a problem paying my dues to get hours under my belt, but my understanding was certified instructors make at least $20/hr. It makes no sense to me that a 4 year firefighter can make $60k/year with nothing but a high school diploma AND there are SO many firefighters in the country, but one needs to pay TONS of money to learn to fly helicopters and make $13/hour? I can get by on my bills and life in general at about $16/hr for a couple of years if I really scrimp... but not $25k/year.

I'm not trying to be rich, but I'd like to make a little more than I make now but more importantly I'd love to fly for a living. Jeez, I could get network certs and/or get into management and make a bunch of money, but then I'd end up a 'dead' man, like so many working adults that I know.

1. Can someone please elaborate on the market after I'm finished with the school AND I get about a 1000 hours teaching? What's out there and what might they make?

2. I figure if you teach between 4 to 6 hours a day (does anyone get 8 hours of flying a day while teaching?), that's a year and a half to 2 years to get to 1000 hours. Is that right?

3. Is it just that there are so many pilots trying for so few heli pilot jobs?

4. Also, what if one works hard for five years or so (gets the hours, gets turbine hours, etc)? Can I make at least $60k/year flying helis for a living?

TIA,

Dave

With 1000 hours, you should be able to make in the high 40s, maybe as much as 50k. Expect about 1k/year raise. That's the current state of the industry, and while it might get better, it also might get worse, depending on lots of things. The problem is that everyone wants to fly for a living, and most are willing to do it for very little money, so employers don't have to pay much to get pilots. If the economy keeps on tanking like it has been lately, things could get much worse. My crystal ball is a little cloudy right now, so I won't bet the farm on either way. I certainly wouldn't want to bet my life savings, and my future earnings, on it.

seems like the feeling of WTF is not just with me ...glad to see we are all in the same boat as far as being pragmatic about this . Gomer I hear what you are saying but as an old salt at this do you enjoy your job . I fished offshore for years out in New England and made $$ but hated it and got my ass kicked in the process . My fear is that you DO NOT get a job after putting all the $$ into the game and then you are doubly f*cked . When you compare the cost of flight school with regular college it is about the same as a year or two .............christ the Ivy's are like 40-60 K a year now . Does it seem realistic that you could make a 100k a year or is that just afetr a looooonnnggggg time flying w/ 1000000000000 hours , I am assuming it is.... wish I had gone to the heli expo it sounds like it was informative------Garvey

I'm also 44 and plan to start my training a year from now. I'm single,no kids and plan to train full time and work part time. I have read so many posts that say you should do your training fulltime and I don't want to drag it out so I can get working in the industry as soon as possible. I also have the fear of spending all that money and not getting a job when I'm done. But this is something I really want to do and will study and work hard to reach my goal and hopefully my hard work will payoff. I know I'll probably never hit 6 figures in this industry but money is not why I'm doing it. If I can make a good living doing something I want to do I will consider that a success.

I just love this forum! the first two topics listed today were about fat guys and old guys. I resemble BOTH of those remarks!

While there isnt much I can add to the comments that have posters have already left, I can offer you some encouragement. You are not too old. Pretty inspiring eh?

I am 42 and started in January of 2007, and have my CFI ride scheduled for April 17th. It took me a bit longer than I anticipated due to various issues such as weather and maintenenace. I work full time and train full time, if that makes sense. I have been fortunate that in my job I can flex my schedule as needed to get the flight time in. When I am not at the corporate job, I am on the helicopter "job".

You can get it done at your age. I hate to use the cliche "If the dream is big enough the facts dont count" but there it is. Everyone has their own level of acceptance regarding the facts however. It is expensive. It is not an absolute given that you will make it all the way through. You wont be making a six figure income. But on the flip side of that, you get to fly helicopters and may potentially even be paid to do so! The outlook for pilots is still pretty good for another 5 years or so according to all the information I could find. The kicker to that statement is that the outlook is good for Experienced pilots. What is experienced? I guess that depends on who you ask, but I think in general terms its pilots with 1,000 hours of PIC or more.

The clock is ticking, you are going to be 5 years older in another 5 years anyway. I waited a couple of years before I jumped into it, and I regret that stutter-step.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!