Premier Helicopter Crash

"According to the FAA inspector who interviewed the pilots, they were "en route to Arizona for a checkride." They were planning to land at LVS for fuel. They decided to make a practice 180-degree autorotation to landing. When the helicopter was approximately 300 feet above the ground, they added power but the engine did not respond. The helicopter landed hard, spreading the skids, and bending several engine mounts."

Ouch...glad they were ok.

Why would they fly the R-22 on a 7 hour flight for a check ride when they have helicopters in Mesa....Think!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not sure how you can place all the blame on Mike??? Helicopters have hard landings/crash all the time. Its bad that it happened, but both walked away.

I have a feeling you were just waiting for something to happen with Premier, so that you could go bad mouthing them...

The accident was not Mikes fault idiot....no one is saying that. The part Mike is responible for is knowingly sending the pilot in a ship passed the 500 hour inspection for maintenance in Arizona because he has screwed every mechanic in Denver area. I do not hide the fact my dislike for Mike...he is poison for this industry. This is just another example of a long list.

mountainchopper couldn't be giving better advice. Never believe what someone claims has been done to a helicopter (aircraft). Don't know about anyone else, and I only have CFI experience to draw on, but this has almost burned me in the past. Always take the time to check the books out for yourself. Besides, if the mechanic sees you, you'll either really impress him/her, or just piss them off(I'm sure a mechanic likes a pilot to ask...hasn't ____ been done! :huh: ). Remember that the FAA doesn't give a darn about what someone told you!

mountainchopper couldn't be giving better advice. Never believe what someone claims has been done to a helicopter (aircraft). Don't know about anyone else, and I only have CFI experience to draw on, but this has almost burned me in the past. Always take the time to check the books out for yourself. Besides, if the mechanic sees you, you'll either really impress him/her, or just piss them off(I'm sure a mechanic likes a pilot to ask...hasn't ____ been done! :huh: ). Remember that the FAA doesn't give a darn about what someone told you!

Node....I know who you are. I lease helicopters to your school.....still competeing with Leading Edge? So, after posting this...I think you know who I am. J.N. are my initials. Please do not post my name on this forum. I think you know how this could effect me as well as others.

ercam, your credentials are being challanged here as you keep posting with no back up!

1st...I posted about the helicopter accident less than 5 hours after the accident, check it.

2nd..others posted saying there was no accident.....because it wasn't on the NTSB site...rookie mistake...that's ok....I forgive you guys.

How could I know about the accident less than 2 hours after it happened? You thinks its possible I just might be closer to this than anybody in this forum....I do not need to defend my self. Just looking out for potential students out there. I post, you decide. This is a shady school...there are better choices. Re-read all the post. Then come question me.

The accident was not Mikes fault idiot....no one is saying that. The part Mike is responible for is knowingly sending the pilot in a ship passed the 500 hour inspection for maintenance in Arizona because he has screwed every mechanic in Denver area. I do not hide the fact my dislike for Mike...he is poison for this industry. This is just another example of a long list.

Do you really think an examiner would get into an aircraft for a checkride thats non-airworthy?

So were they going for maintenance, x-country, or a checkride? You have said all throughout this thread...

And do not EVER call me an idiot! I'm not the one with the stories all mixed up, just to try and bad-mouth an operator.

I would suspect that Mike doesn't like you either, perhaps something happened with a lease between you two??

Node....I know who you are. I lease helicopters to your school.....still competeing with Leading Edge? So, after posting this...I think you know who I am. J.N. are my initials. Please do not post my name on this forum. I think you know how this could effect me as well as others.

So you can talk trash about mike and premier but want your name left out of it? I hope others will notice the lack of integrity that your posts. If you have a problem with the company or with the owner or the employees, take it up with them, not an internet forum.

So you can talk trash about mike and premier but want your name left out of it? I hope others will notice the lack of integrity that your posts. If you have a problem with the company or with the owner or the employees, take it up with them, not an internet forum.

Dude, you need to calm down and get laid.

Its nice to know there are still Kool Aide drinkers out there. By the way, a few of your posts are wrong. Premier shut down the school in Texas less than 2 months ago. And also, they got kicked out of there old offices at Tango 1 FBO in Mesa because of bounced checks. So, they had to build a 200 Squre foot office in the Hangar. Oh, and I will tell Kenton hi for you tomorrow when I see him. He just brought a white R-44 down for 100 inspection....since he is on your speed dial. Call him! He will verify everything I am saying. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Edited by ercam1991

I'm personally enjoying a Blue Moon. Its tasty brew, albeit a little fancy and as filling as a cheeseburger.

So, ercam just one last thing buddy. In case you haven't noticed, you are the only one on this site who has used personal insult and vulgarity in your posts. Everyone else seems to have an education. Do yourself a favor and go over to JH to do this garbage next time. People here like to spread things that are educational, interesting, applicable, and mostly positive and credible. If you want to leave your opinion for Premier as a flight training school, do it in the school review section. The fact that they had a hard landing is not related to the negative view that you have on the school.

Do you really think an examiner would get into an aircraft for a checkride thats non-airworthy?

So were they going for maintenance, x-country, or a checkride? You have said all throughout this thread...

And do not EVER call me an idiot! I'm not the one with the stories all mixed up, just to try and bad-mouth an operator.

I would suspect that Mike doesn't like you either, perhaps something happened with a lease between you two??

Retard...I never said anything about a check ride...that is what was stated by the pilot involved in the accident. Now, if you just click and open my threads, I have been very clear. Don't you have a private pilot certificate to study for? You need to learn to read and think. I have a feeling this is way over your head. Perhaps you should join "The Hannah Montana Fan Club Forum"

I'm personally enjoying a Blue Moon. Its tasty brew, albeit a little fancy and as filling as a cheeseburger.

So, ercam just one last thing buddy. In case you haven't noticed, you are the only one on this site who has used personal insult and vulgarity in your posts. Everyone else seems to have an education. Do yourself a favor and go over to JH to do this garbage next time. People here like to spread things that are educational, interesting, applicable, and mostly positive and credible. If you want to leave your opinion for Premier as a flight training school, do it in the school review section. The fact that they had a hard landing is not related to the negative view that you have on the school.

Dude, your killing me here.....please re-read. I have nothing against the instructors/students. I know the guy involved in the accident. I like him a lot. The problem is Mike Kelly. He puts pilots in situations...like this one. He had a pilot take the helicopter from Colorado to Arizona for the 500 hour knowing it was already past the 500 AD. I am giving insight as a fellow helicopter pilot. And stop with all the "personal insult crap".....everytime I have posted, I have been called out as a liar when everything and I mean everything I am saying is true. The word needs to get out about guys like Mike Kelly.

Dude, your killing me here.....please re-read. I have nothing against the instructors/students. I know the guy involved in the accident. I like him a lot. The problem is Mike Kelly. He puts pilots in situations...like this one. He had a pilot take the helicopter from Colorado to Arizona for the 500 hour knowing it was already past the 500 AD. I am giving insight as a fellow helicopter pilot. And stop with all the "personal insult crap".....everytime I have posted, I have been called out as a liar when everything and I mean everything I am saying is true. The word needs to get out about guys like Mike Kelly.

Thank you for changing your tone. Apology accepted. Will a little counseling I feel that I will be emotionally stable once again. Feel free to further share your concerns with the VR community.

Haven't been in here much but have been reading along. I have done business with the Kelly's and have to agree with ercam that Mike is a dishonest business man who can put up a shiny front then stab you in the back. I'm glad it hasn't happened to you all.

I have seen his contracts, you should too. They are a joke and only a fool would sign them.

As for the recent hard landing. I spoke with a present IC for Premier today. All that ercam has said has been verified. I did learn there was high winds involved as well. The 22 was over its 500 hour going for maintenance in Mesa (because nobody in Colorado would do it), there was a student logging the xc time (which is not uncommon to do between Colo. and AZ), and they were practicing autos on the way.

Being a "responsible" businessman and a "leader" in the aviation community Mike should not have let this happen. CFI as well. But Mike was willing to let the ship go, make some money, and let the low time CFI make a poor judgement call. Why couldn't Mike do it himself. I seen him in AZ with another helicopter from Colorado just last week.

As for Cayce and Kenton. Great stand up guys with a lot of integrity. I hold a lot of respect for them both. I've flown with them both and they are great pilots. Cayce, and the other few instructors, did the right thing when they walked. Any more questions about Mike? Ask him. I'm sure he's got stories to tell.

Ercam, I know where your coming from. I don't know how Mike stuck it to you. But I caught it from all the Kelly's. They are a deceitful family who will lie to you and smile in your face at the same time. Fare warning to all students, future CFI's, and present CFI's looking for work...stay away from doing business with these people. They're dangerous.

Dude, you need to calm down and get laid.

So, let me get this straight. You own and lease helicopters, which I consider a professional position. Yet your posts leave much to be desired, and your requirement of anonymity is disturbing at best.

I also happen to own and lease helicopters to flight schools. Other posters here at VR may not always agree with me, and thats ok. I express my opinions, I ask questions where I am out of my areas of expertise, and I respect the opinions of many on this board with much more experience than I ever hope to have.

However, I attempt to maintain a level of professionalism, as do many others on this board. I might suggest that if you want anyone to pay even the least bit of attention to you, that you think first, then write.

By the way, you speak of a 500 hour AD for the R22. I have attached a link to the FAA official AD site. It is quite easily searched. Could you do me the favor of showing me the 500 hour AD that you speak of ?

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...me?OpenFrameSet

Goldy

So, let me get this straight. You own and lease helicopters, which I consider a professional position. Yet your posts leave much to be desired, and your requirement of anonymity is disturbing at best.

I also happen to own and lease helicopters to flight schools. Other posters here at VR may not always agree with me, and thats ok. I express my opinions, I ask questions where I am out of my areas of expertise, and I respect the opinions of many on this board with much more experience than I ever hope to have.

However, I attempt to maintain a level of professionalism, as do many others on this board. I might suggest that if you want anyone to pay even the least bit of attention to you, that you think first, then write.

By the way, you speak of a 500 hour AD for the R22. I have attached a link to the FAA official AD site. It is quite easily searched. Could you do me the favor of showing me the 500 hour AD that you speak of ?

Goldy

AD 88-26-01 R2

Goldy

Goldy, You have no idea what your talking about...If you lease R-22's...you should know this!...click here http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance...33;OpenDocument

Edited by ercam1991

Wow, it's suprising how some of the posters here are more focused on slamming ercam than listening to what he has to say. In light of the recent Silverstate closing I think ercam is doing current and future students a sevice! I have spoken with numerous disgruntled students from Premier and I have personally flown there.

Boatfixer, I have read many of your posts and school reviews and find some of them to be less than flattering, yet you find it easy to criticize ercam and his opinion of Premier. Double standard? Read his review of Rotors of the Rockies... really, they’re not interested in teaching people how to work helicopters? C'mon. I could go on but enough said.

Maybe we should listen to what ercam has to say. Hopefully current and future students will learn some valuable advice before sinking alot of $$$ into another sinking ship. I think the industry has seen enough of this lately.

I can personally confirm the stories of Premier not paying for maintenance at the local places, the recent walk out of the flight instructor staff (including his chief pilot), the doors closed for weeks, aircraft owners pulling their aircraft, and no return phone calls.

If you search Colorado Secretary of State Business site, ercam's assertion that he has changed names numerous times is true. Check it out at: http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do type in Premier helicopters and see what you get.

How many here have done an R22 180auto at altitude in excess of 7,000da? I feel bad for the pilots, glad they are OK, but this is an indication of a much larger problem.