R44 Undergoes Transformation

Hello Everyone -

I am getting ready to pick up my R44 from the avionics shop tomorrow to test run it and fly it after it was taken apart for the first part of a two part avionics upgrade.

Part one included adding an EDM-800 slaved to the Garmin 430 and all the probes that go along with 6 point EGT an CHT as well as Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Fuel flow, Manifold Pressure, etc. Also added was a King 165A, a Garmin GI-106, and a Garmin 347 Audio Panel.

Part two (starts on May 19th) includes the addition of a Garmin GDL69A for XM Weather and Music, MX20 MFD in pilot's side console, Traffic, Terrain, Avionics Master Switch, Cyclic mounted Ident button, Icom ID-800 Ham Radio with DStar capabilities and a 406mhz ELT.

Here are the pictures from Part One. I have them on Flickr and figured I would just link to them as opposed to uploading them to the forum.

I will have some "after" shots tomorrow that I will post as well.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Pictures from Part One - N4142G Avionics Upgrade

Hello Everyone -

I am getting ready to pick up my R44 from the avionics shop tomorrow to test run it and fly it after it was taken apart for the first part of a two part avionics upgrade.

Part one included adding an EDM-800 slaved to the Garmin 430 and all the probes that go along with 6 point EGT an CHT as well as Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Fuel flow, Manifold Pressure, etc. Also added was a King 165A, a Garmin GI-106, and a Garmin 347 Audio Panel.

Part two (starts on May 19th) includes the addition of a Garmin GDL69A for XM Weather and Music, MX20 MFD in pilot's side console, Traffic, Terrain, Avionics Master Switch, Cyclic mounted Ident button, Icom ID-800 Ham Radio with DStar capabilities and a 406mhz ELT.

Here are the pictures from Part One. I have them on Flickr and figured I would just link to them as opposed to uploading them to the forum.

I will have some "after" shots tomorrow that I will post as well.

Thanks

Pictures from Part One - N4142G Avionics Upgrade

I hope they remember where all the parts go. Looks like it will be a nice upgrade.

bossman

Wow Junkie- nice upgrade...can't wait to see it completed! I hope that Icom gets the bandwidth expanded a bit !

Goldy

I think I would like you to adopt me! :wub: :D

Very nice Richard! Having flown the Cirrus and other TAAs (FAA speak for technologically advanced aircraft) I have thought, "wouldn't it be nice to have some of these goodies in the helicopter?". Glad to see someone achieving it and doing it right.

Can you describe the approval process? I thought Robinson wasn't too keen on modifications to "their" aircraft? Have you coordinated with them, or...? Are all changes per STCs or 337s, or...?

Enjoy!

Hey Everyone -

Thanks for all the great replies. I was able to test fly 4142G this afternoon. I choose to stay at my local airport at the compass rose in the event I ran into any issues, thankfully (and thanks to the great folks at Pabas Radio and Civic Helicopters) everything ran 100%.

I took some pictures of the new panel for my Stage I upgrade. I posted a link below. Also, one of the guys came out and took some pictures while I was doing some hover work, so there are a few there as well. Overall, the panel and radio installation looks and operates fantastic!

On the 19th, it goes in for the rest of the upgrade and I will post some more pictures.

:-)

"After" Pictures of N4142G Avionics Upgrade

Can you describe the approval process? I thought Robinson wasn't too keen on modifications to "their" aircraft? Have you coordinated with them, or...? Are all changes per STCs or 337s, or...?

Enjoy!

YES, you are correct. I understand that Frank really likes people to not touch anything on HIS helicopter, even after "I" paid $400K to make it mine. :lol: In the end, I was told that if I take it back to Robinson for its 2200 hour, they could pull the equipment not supported by Robinson. In an earlier thread I indicated that I could see why since their assembly lines cannot be configured for everything that someone may want to put into a helicopter. But in the end, STC or 337, its legal and as much as Frank dislikes it, there is nothing he can do about it. Look at the folks that put in the glass panel in the R44, I bet Frank just loves those guys! :D I suspect that if I own 4142G at the 2200 hour mark that it won't be visiting Papa Frank for its overhaul, but rather a shop of my own choosing that is qualified to do the overhauls. This removes this issue all together.

As far as the approvals, a lot of the stuff (like the EDM-800) is directly STCd for the R44 and the items that are not will require a 337 and field approval. But shop doing the avionics work has been doing work for me for many years on other aircraft and I don't anticipate any issues. Their work is beyond top notch which is why I use them and the local FAA guy rarely has a problem with any of the work they do. And the nice thing about the MX20 is that we are using the Robinson "Approved" pilot's side console which make the approval much, much faster!

Cheers

Wow!

That is a nice helicopter! Why would you ever fly your fixed wing, when you own that beauty?

With envy,

Tom

180 KIAS and IFR at 12K feet with deice equipment :P Sometimes my SR22 just makes perfect sense for the mission at hand!

:)

Wow Junkie- nice upgrade...can't wait to see it completed! I hope that Icom gets the bandwidth expanded a bit !

Goldy

Hey Goldy -

You a Ham..? I am very interested to try the ID-800 out here. We have a lot of D-Star systems set up here in SoCal. I am a member of the PAPA System and can pretty much talk anywhere in the world on their linked D-STAR system. I am totally new to D-Star, but I figured that a ham radio in a helicopter could open up some great possibilities, even in a mild S&R application if ever it was needed.

In fact, I am just trying to figure out all the cool things that can be done with a helicopter and ham is one of those things that seems to fit well with it form my view point.

It will be interesting to see how much (or little) power will be required to hit the repeaters.

I talked to Robinson support recently about adding non factory installed equipment, they said "you can add anything you want, all you need is a field approval." My conclusion is that the printed prohibition is at the advice of their legal counsel.

Mike

that thing is absolutely disgusting. nicest 44 i've seen! screw a glass cockpit, you've got everything i'd ever want.

i see you have the "instantaneous" vsi. what's your opinion on it's operation? at the factory i noticed that one of the '08 r22s had one in it. i've never had experience with one and i heard that it's mainly a fixed-wing add-on.

looks great, i can only imagine how proud you are of your bird.

that thing is absolutely disgusting. nicest 44 i've seen! screw a glass cockpit, you've got everything i'd ever want.

i see you have the "instantaneous" vsi. what's your opinion on it's operation? at the factory i noticed that one of the '08 r22s had one in it. i've never had experience with one and i heard that it's mainly a fixed-wing add-on.

looks great, i can only imagine how proud you are of your bird.

Lorax -

Thanks !!

The IVSI seems a LOT more responsive to the movements of the helicopter compared to the delay in a normal VSI, although I was told its really nice under the hood as opposed to normal flights. Since I will be doing my commercial and instrument in this bird, I figure it will be nice to fly with. I didn't order this R44, so it was in there when I picked it up from the factory. I am not sure I would have spent the extra money, but it does appear to actually work with no delay.

The bird looks real good or even better than good, but the tech seems a bit young to be let loose with a job that big, I must be getting old :ph34r:

The bird looks real good or even better than good, but the tech seems a bit young to be let loose with a job that big, I must be getting old :ph34r:

500E -

HA...Good catch! He is actually my co-pilot, I wouldn't think of turning him lose on a project that big - heck, he can barely hover!!

• 12 years later...

Junkie

this is an old topic

my 44 is in the shop undergoing the dreaded 12 year

and I’m wanting to install an engine monitor.

is there any way possible I can get a copy of the 337 installation for your EDM to aid us in the installation approval

you can email it to me  sidegrip@aol.com

thanks

Leonard Guidry

N4204X