2 replies to this topic

#1 INDOMITABLE

INDOMITABLE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:42

Hello, 

I have been browsing these forums for the last couple of days, and I must say there is most certainly a ton of helpful information on here. Unfortunately I still have not found the answers to the questions I am looking for, as I am pretty new to this process. Currently I am building my packet and getting ready to take the SIFT in a few weeks. I transferred to the Army National Guard about a year ago from the Air Force (I was a F-35 crew chief), and now I work at Lockheed Martin. I am applying for a slot in the AZ NG unit right near my house to be a 153A. 

How are the guard slots billeted and distributed? I assume I am not competing with Active since its at the unit level, but after I submit my package and hopefully get passed the first board, what does the rest of the process look like after the first board? In the selection packet it states after selection in the AZARNG Flt Board you have to board again for Federal Recognition, can anyone elaborate more on this?  Are the guard slots more competitive? What was the turn around time to getting to WOCS and Flight School?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I will keep updating this as more questions come up.

#2 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 24 June 2019 - 21:00

A lot will depend on your state. You need to get in touch with AZ's warrant officer strength manager. The WOSM will be able to reach out to the aviation board and/or state aviation officer to find out exactly what is needed for a WOFT packet if they don't already know. State requirements prior to allowing you to board may vary a little bit, so it important you hear directly from the AZ WOSM what you need. 

After your packet is all set, you will go before an aviation selection board. If selected, the next step is the FEDREC board. The FEDREC board is pretty much a rubber stamp... They are basically making sure AZ hasn't gone off the reservation in their selection process and is in fact picking people competent to be army officers. It will include a representative from the federal side of the Army as well as some Guard members. 

As far as how competitive it is, it entirely varies state by state. You are competing for a slot in the AZNG against whoever else is seeking the spot, whatever their qualifications may be. In some cases, there are more slots than applicants, in others it may be very competitive. 

As far as turn around times for flight school... it depends. If they have slots and school seats they are immediately trying to fill, it could be quick. In my case, I've had a bit of a wait. I was selected last March, want to WOCS this April, and will be going to flight school sometime this fall or beyond. If there is a long wait between flight school and WOCS, your state may opt to send you to the National Guard WOCS.

#3 INDOMITABLE

INDOMITABLE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 17:59

Thank you for the reply Mike. I appreciate the feedback. It seems that everyone's experience in the guard accession process is very different. The WOSM was able to send me a packet with all the information that I needed, as well as the requirements for the board. Currently I am preparing for the SIFT in August, and I will have my flight physical right after. If anyone else would like comment their experience in the Guard it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Guidance Home 200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeLakeSuperior200BLR 200MaunaLoaVRHome200FreeFlight_Home200Genesys VR Forum 200Spectrum_VRHome200