Re-thinking my Career Choice

Guest ColoHeli

Guest ColoHeli

In the light of all the recent helicopter accidents I'm beginning to re think my Professional Heli Pilot choice. I've already invested a lot of money and time. I have my Instrument and Commercial Cert. I've started looking into crash statistics and I'm not finding the re-assuring stats I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I have been and I am still very enthusiastic about flying the thing I'm starting to realize though, is that it doesn't seem like a very safe career path. I know the old saying you can get hit crossing the street, etc etc but at some point you should look at the stats. If the stats I've read are correct we are expected to have at least 1 accident every 10 years. Or another one I've read, 1 accident every 33,000 flight hours. I don't like those odds. Every senior pilot I've spoke with has real world auto/tr failure/loss of control/lost fellow pilots/etc stories. The issue for me seems that it doesn't matter what your experience level, piloting abilities, or planning preparation consists of... we are all very vulnerable to circumstances outside our control, and it seems to happen on a fairly regular basis within the Helicopter industry. The consequences of an "accident" in a helicopter are much scarier to consider. I hope that I'm just feeling a little apprehensive due to all of the recent accidents (some close to home)... maybe this phase will pass. I know a lot of pilots that are extremely thorough, take no chances kind of guys/gals but I don't think it's very common among the pilots I know to consider the stats and the real risk we face. There seems to be a disassociation with the potentially deadly circumstances... understandably. I'm trying to reason my way thru this slump can someone please help with some uplifting stats or advice? Is there anyone else out there thinking this path and the associated risk factor might not be the right one to follow? I'd like to stay the course and have a long fulfilling career... long being the most important part!

I've had similar thoughts but like you mentioned, you could eat it walking across the street tomorrow. I don't think anyone in this career distances themselves from the very distinct possibility that they might not go home at the end of the day... I think that thought can provide motivation to do a damn good preflight, to really look hard at landing spots that seem "easy" and to try to stay alive. Heck, just the other day my uncle told me "Now I know you're careful, but those things drop out of the sky like it's nobody's business..." Honestly it sounds like you're just letting this rash of incidents get to you. That's not to say I don't feel bad for the families of pilots that have died, but it happens. Think of how many times you've almost died on the highway. Do you stop driving or are you just more vigilant? For me, it's the same deal. I love flying, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't see another appealing career option right now, even with the risk that comes with it.

That being said... I stopped rock climbing because I let the fear get to me. There may come a point when those worries make you lock up, and that's the time to walk away. Go sit down, strap in and see what the helicopter feels like to you. If you still feel like you're in love with the beast, then push through the slump. If not... well, you may need to take a step back for a while and collect yourself. Only you can decide what you want to do though.

Well I could sit behind a desk every day and not be worried about anything more than a power surge... Maybe I should work out of my home too, to avoid possibly getting into a car accident, and sell the motorcycle.

My thought is, I'd rather die doing what I love than to have a dull desk job and not enjoy what I do. Life is too short to be afraid I think, just do what makes you happy, and keep up on emergency procedures and never get complacent. One of my students is a high paid chemical engineer for intel and is bored of his dull job. Doesn't care that he'll never make the same money in a helicopter, or that it isn't as safe. He's in his 30's and wants to be happy with what he does.

Good luck with your decision, it would be a shame to throw all that money away and quit flying.

either get busy living, or get busy dying. sorry, just saw the shawshank redemption, i had to say it. but i think it applies. if you want to make helicopter a part of your life then do it. if not, move on. there shouldn't be any gray areas.

I think some small amount of fear....call it respect, is important to maintain in flying. Some fear is healthy, it keeps us from thinking we are invincible.

ColoHeli,

Interesting post.

Nobody is saying that helicopters are risk free. Yes, most helicopter pilots know someone who has been killed in a helicopter crash. There is some degree of risk.

Everybody has a different perception of risk and how much they can tolerate risk.

It comes down to so many personal issues, that it is impossible to pinpoint what makes Joe Helicopter go and fly helicopters for a living, and Joe Bloggs not. Same for all the other 'high-risk' pursuits and pastimes.

People are attracted to a thrill. They go to fair ground rides and rollercoasters to satisfy that need. The thrill is derived not only from the physiological disorientation these rides produce, but from the element of the 'unknown'. Indeed 90% of fear is a result of the 'unknown'.

Some people are initially attracted to helicopters, because it might be a way of satisfying that need for thrill. Maybe that's why we all thought of this as a career at the beginning.

However, what I have found is that as I persue a new pastime and become more knowledgeable and competent, there is less unknown. There is less thrill. The passion changes from 'seaking thrills' to minimising and managing risks. This hopefully happens quite early during the training. If it doesn't, then maybe this career is not the right one. Career pilots are generally not thrill seakers.

So if there is no thrill * , then why continue with helicopters?

The attraction to fly; feeling at one with nature. The feeling of freedom in the air.

The opportunities to go, do and see what most other people cannot.

The challenge to arm oneself with as much knowledge and information in order to minimise the risks.

The challenge to maintain self-discipline whilst carrying out your work.

The challenge to improve physical ability to perfectly execute a maneouver.

The coming together of the technical, theoretical and practical aspects of flying.

The lack of appealing alternatives to flying.

Any one (or a combination) of these could be reasons why people choose this career path.

How do we deal with the risks?

I don't think any career pilot 'distances himself' from the statistics and the risks. In fact, the opposite. Instead, every day we go to work, we 'deal' with the risks.

If you imagine the formula: Risk = 'Probability of bad event happening' X 'How severe an event is'...

...then you can see two ways it might be possible to rationalise the risk as being acceptable. This is acheived by minimising the probability of an event (or perception of probability), and / or by minimising the perception of the severity of the event.

Minimising the perception of probability or minimising the real probability of an event

Some people will look at the stats compared to a host of other actions. Crossing the road, car crash etc..etc.. They use these stats to justify the fact that one of these other actions is more likely to happen 'before' an aviation accident. Therefore to not aviate is pointless.

Some people use the simple comparrison of the number of accidents vs flight hours flown. The likelyhood there is that you will not have an accident!

Of course, much of the probability comes down to the pilot. If a pilot can do everything he can, then it leaves only those factors out of his control. This is why I say that we don't 'distance ourselves' from the risks. Everyday I perform my duties, follow checklists, abide by rules to the best of my ability. I know that if I don't then I am increasing my risk of accident. That is certainly not 'distancing' myself.

Minimising the perception of the severity of the outcome of an event.

Some people may view their existance (and possible non-existance) as being a matter of fact. I am here today, and may not be tomorrow. Simple as that. Therefore, I will enjoy life while I'm here.

The effect that his life has on others around him is a massive factor. A family man might consider his existance differently to a single man.

Some are afraid of not being here; of dying. I have always wondered why someone should be afraid of dying. It seems illogical to me, but that is a pandora's box to open in another thread / forum!

Each one of us is different, but somehow we have all justified continuing in this industry.

Distortion

Your feelings, most likely prompted by the recent high-profile accidents in the US are undestandable.

While an accident can often have a positive effect of highlighting risks, the kind of coverage that the recent Phoenix ** crash got can serve to warp or distort a person's ability to correctly assess the 'probability factor' and 'severity factors'. Degree of knowledge plays an important role in dampening the distortions. e.g. The layman might see the Phoenix coverage and immediately conclude that this sort of thing is common. He might attribute incorrect assumptions. An experienced helicopter pilot might not come to that conclusion.

Discovery Channel is a major culprit to 'distorting' the mind of the layman. I sometimes believe their sole purpose is to scaremonger. Showing currently on Discovery: Air Crash Disasters, Bridge Collapse, SuperStorm, Perfect Disaster, I shouldn't be alive, etc..etc.. Of course, they would argue that they are presenting an unbiased representation of the topic. We all know that they are playing on the basic fears; fears resulting from lack of knowledge.

Similarly, the movie industry can have the same effect as press coverage or TV providers, as the directors use a lot of 'poetic' licence to make the film more appealing.

Conclusion

Yes, I have rambled on here...

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. I couldn't hope to do that.

Maybe, in answer to your question, I'm simply trying to give you a way of understanding the feeling you are having, and understanding how others (career pilots) may rationalise continuing with it, even in the wake of recent disasters.

I guess there are some main points arising.

90% of fear is lack of knowledge. More knowledge = Less Fear

Some risk can be controlled, some cannot.

Risk assessment is personal. What works for one, might not work for others.

How you reflect on the same recent accident will be very different to another person depending on your knowledge of the topic and how emotionally involved you are (or let yourself be).

Hope this provides more food for thought.

Joker

* Thrill is defined here as opposed to enjoyment: feel sudden intense sensation or emotion; "he was thrilled by the speed and the roar of the engine"

** I reaslise Phoenix is still recent, and touched the hearts of many people. I offer condolences for their loss. I am not saying here that the reporting of this tradegy was inappropriate or exessive. Nor am I indirectly apportioning any blame for the accident. My point is purely and simply that each person will respond to that coverage differently.

Edited by joker

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death." -- Jermaine Evans

I love that quote and thats how I feel about death. Although I do believe that joker gave a good point about a family man and a single man viewing their role here alive differently. The fact is that we will all die at sometime. Your first option is to live your life to the fullest with a job that you enjoy, and few others even have the chance to experience, knowing that there is a pretty small chance that it could very well kill you. Your second option is to lead a long life where you took no risk, and possibly wish you had done things differently as you lay on your death bed ready to die of old age.

I suppose not everyone would agree with my interpretation, perhaps it only applies to me, but my answer is clear.

Edited by slick1537

I have only been flying for 3 years and during that time I have only encounted one situation beyond my control that requird emergency action. Every one safe luckly! I would say life is much more dangerous than flying helicopters. Just minding my busniess and moveing through life has included, 3 avalanches caught in (two self resuce, one skied away, all inside ski area boundry in "safe" areas), three car crashes (pasenger in all,. one roll over), two crane incidents (one with a 48,000lbs load, where the ground subsideded into a incorectly marked buried gas line), two boats that sank out from underneath me ( one at age five, swam to sure with father who was also a passenger other a small sale boat that broke in half), several times helping rescue people from floods (not in helicopters) and many many other close calls that dont even rank a mention. I am not a risk taking person, just saying look back at your own life and you will most likely see way more rish than just flying.

PS the strangest one has to be driving across the Providence river in east providence after 10pm on a rainy evening when ( on the freeway) when I see an object bouncing down the Freeway on the other side of the road. Take two bounces then hopps the median barrer and hits a semi truck in the grill, its a complete wheel that just broke of a light trucks axel!!! and no one was injured, just crunched the front of a semi!!!

Fly safe and take charge of your life.

i was burnt 65% of my body 3rd degree, lived in the hospital a few months, almost died a few times, had 7 skin graft surgeries. . im going to spend the rest of my life doing what i want and not worry about dying until that time comes

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death." -- Jermaine Evans

I love that quote and thats how I feel about death. Although I do believe that joker gave a good point about a family man and a single man viewing their role here alive differently. The fact is that we will all die at sometime. Your first option is to live your life to the fullest with a job that you enjoy, and few others even have the chance to experience, knowing that there is a pretty small chance that it could very well kill you. Your second option is to lead a long life where you took no risk, and possibly wish you had done things differently as you lay on your death bed ready to die of old age.

I suppose not everyone would agree with my interpretation, perhaps it only applies to me, but my answer is clear.

Totally agree!! ;)

THAT'S just hard-headed!
hows that? it made me realize that life can end REALLY quick and un-expected. went from a normals day work, to being rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. why not go ahead and do what you want in life. . not worry about dyin. if its your turn, its your turn. . (i learned that the hard way) :) :)

<<-- post number 69. haha. so childish

Edited by clay

First, start by thinking like a PROFESSIONAL pilot. All pilots (FW & RW) work in a relatively high risk environment. As a professional pilot you can do what you can control to minimize your risk, weather it by by changing your mission profile, training, maintenance, environmentall factors, ect. Some risks you can't change, but you can minimize. If you CAN"T minimize sufficiently, you can decline/cancel the mission.

Second, of all, you have about the same odds of getting hit by a mini-van driven by a little ole lady crossing the street to Wal-Mart as having a aircraft related accident.

Third, if the chances of death in this industry scare you this much so early in your entry into it, you need to find a new profession.

Just my .02

Bayou06

PS: I really don't understand this angst ridden thread. All of life incurs risk.

In the immortal words of Han Solo, "Never tell me the odds!" Like most Type-A personalities, I give the odds a cursory review and then ignore them. For me, I understand that it is not my knowledge or constant reviewing of the odds that will make me a safer or more capable pilot, it is the precautions that I discipline myself to take that will end up making any difference.

The thoughts of the inimitable Bob Barbanes, for your consideration.

I have only been flying for 3 years and during that time I have only encounted one situation beyond my control that requird emergency action. Every one safe luckly! I would say life is much more dangerous than flying helicopters. Just minding my busniess and moveing through life has included, 3 avalanches caught in (two self resuce, one skied away, all inside ski area boundry in "safe" areas), three car crashes (pasenger in all,. one roll over), two crane incidents (one with a 48,000lbs load, where the ground subsideded into a incorectly marked buried gas line), two boats that sank out from underneath me ( one at age five, swam to sure with father who was also a passenger other a small sale boat that broke in half), several times helping rescue people from floods (not in helicopters) and many many other close calls that dont even rank a mention. I am not a risk taking person, just saying look back at your own life and you will most likely see way more rish than just flying.

PS the strangest one has to be driving across the Providence river in east providence after 10pm on a rainy evening when ( on the freeway) when I see an object bouncing down the Freeway on the other side of the road. Take two bounces then hopps the median barrer and hits a semi truck in the grill, its a complete wheel that just broke of a light trucks axel!!! and no one was injured, just crunched the front of a semi!!!

Fly safe and take charge of your life.

Dude,

What a life! You need to stay airborne as it seems to be the safest place for you!! :)

I read just about every ntsb report on helicopters that i could b4 I wiggled behiind a seat of a cb and also realized that a person dies at a railroad crossing accident every day...no web site for that i guess.....

you do a lot of things every day that are dangerous, just resolve to be the best that you can be and that's all you can do. Accidents are just that, accidents...

god speed.

Guest ColoHeli

I've reconciled with my thoughts of doom and have decided that I'm on the right path. The prospect of doing anything but this seems dull and I would surely lose my interest.

I received my Commercial in Phoenix and I had/have close contact with a few pilots that have been involved in accidents lately. I came home doing a bit of soul searching... I read some not so favorable stats, I then read flingwings safety related post (very sad) and came to realize that I once worked with him outside of the heli industry. Things were really hitting close to home for me and I had a rough day… hence the post.

However, since I know this occupation has brought me more happiness, enthusiasm, and challenge than anything I have ever done I know without a doubt I will continue on with my training/career. I'm glad in a way that I was forced to look at the sobering side and gain a greater appreciation for the hazards. I'll probably approach safety with a keener eye and more respect.

In the light of all the recent helicopter accidents I'm beginning to re think my Professional Heli Pilot choice. I've already invested a lot of money and time. I have my Instrument and Commercial Cert. I've started looking into crash statistics and I'm not finding the re-assuring stats I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I have been and I am still very enthusiastic about flying the thing I'm starting to realize though, is that it doesn't seem like a very safe career path. I know the old saying you can get hit crossing the street, etc etc but at some point you should look at the stats. If the stats I've read are correct we are expected to have at least 1 accident every 10 years. Or another one I've read, 1 accident every 33,000 flight hours. I don't like those odds. Every senior pilot I've spoke with has real world auto/tr failure/loss of control/lost fellow pilots/etc stories. The issue for me seems that it doesn't matter what your experience level, piloting abilities, or planning preparation consists of... we are all very vulnerable to circumstances outside our control, and it seems to happen on a fairly regular basis within the Helicopter industry. The consequences of an "accident" in a helicopter are much scarier to consider. I hope that I'm just feeling a little apprehensive due to all of the recent accidents (some close to home)... maybe this phase will pass. I know a lot of pilots that are extremely thorough, take no chances kind of guys/gals but I don't think it's very common among the pilots I know to consider the stats and the real risk we face. There seems to be a disassociation with the potentially deadly circumstances... understandably. I'm trying to reason my way thru this slump can someone please help with some uplifting stats or advice? Is there anyone else out there thinking this path and the associated risk factor might not be the right one to follow? I'd like to stay the course and have a long fulfilling career... long being the most important part!

You could do jobs like EMS, SAR, law Enforcement or fire suppression. If you ever do get killed doing one of these, at least you were helping others, saving lives, doing service for others, etc. Helicopters are really needed in these areas. Look at Hurricane Katrina; many lives, that would have perished otherwise, were saved because of helicopters. Many more people are alive today because of helicopters than dead because of them. Just my 2 cents.

JPDPilot

I, too, think that the joys of flying a helicopter are absolutely worth the small part of the risks that are non-controlable.

BUT, beeing a smartass, I have to say something about the statistics that were quoted here.

"You" are more likely to get run over than die in an aviation accident? Maybe, but is this "You" a member of the general public or a helicopter pilot?

One person per day gets killed crossing a railroad track? Maybe, but how many people cross railroad tracks every day - hundreds of millions. How many people fly helos every day? A few thousand, you beeing one of them.

Same goes for the car-accident thing.

If you want to approach this subject by looking at statistics, then look at the accident-per-flighthour stats, or find a statistic that shows the average cause of death for civil pilots and compare that to the stats for non-pilots.

Then again, I'm with Han Solo on this one. By the way, I have to cross 2 railroad tracks to get to the airport....