The perfect helicopter

Goldy

OK, so I thought it might be fun (and informative) to list the pros and cons of various ships. Kinda interesting that each ship has some strong pros and cons.

OK, so Robbies can't keep their blades on and I never like going skyward in a thermal, especially when feeling light in the seat. The 22 gets bouncy if someone sneezes but its the cheapest thing out there to fly. That R44 is one smooth ship though, and you can actually fly over 100 knots with a fair load...too bad about the blades coming apart mid air.

The old B 47 auto's like a dream, and has the best sound ever !! But cars in a school zone pass me by and it guzzles gas like no tomorrow.

The 300 is pretty solid, except I feel like I'm falling out of my chair over 60 knots, and it feels like I drop like a rock in an auto, and it couldnt do 100 if my life depended on it...plus 3 is a crowd.

Oooh, the 206. Clean, big, doesnt mind the fact that I am 245 pounds. Pretty speedy when light, but whats up with that tail rotor?

How bout the MD. Always wanted to fly a 500 and never have. I've spoken to several pilots of the NTR, several hated the tail rotor authority and lack of power. One felt it was the best ship ever made.

(yeah, but what does HE know !!!?)

Hmm...lets see. The Enstrom sure has a lot of fans. I like the look of the turbine. Got to talk to an owner of one a few months ago. He sure loves it, good in the auto, safe rotor head, reliable engine. I guess its a bit heavy to fly due to no hydraulics....you get used to it, and it helps build biceps.

Hmmm, spoke to an Lt last year who was soooo happy to get rid of his EC120's.( too underpowered in high DA) Talked to a local PD pilot who loves flying his......but admits it could use a bit more uumph.

Lets see, the AS350 likes to dance when a few feet off the ground. I am not much of a dancer myself. I have been a passenger once or twice, tons of power...very nice.

Yes, the 333 looks like a fishing lure as one of the VR members coined it..

Hmm, the CH 47 just plain doesnt fly without a computer guiding it. And its pretty tough to get into my backyard.

So what am I missing?

What do you like and dislike about the ship(s) that you fly ?

Hopefully I have insulted all makes and models equally so far, so as to not release the forum vipers.

Enstrom's..yes. Very nice. Once you get used to the "trim," the heavy fealing is gone. But they are awesome machines. Safe, built like a tank, and forgiving.

I always liked the Bell 407. Smooth flying, but a little cramped for full sized adults. Not bad if you don't mind rubbing shoulders with the other pilot, and are no taller than 5'7" (the pedals are a little close for 6' + pilots). And if you're wearing a helmet, you'll touch the overhead. Good autorotations. Could use a little more power for high density altitudes (like when they were going to certificate the 407X - what ever happened to that idea?). Lands like a dream. No bouncing around on the cart. Can be a real handful without hydraulics. Feels like you're holding the bird in the air with your arms. Just make your movements nice and smooth. Bell claims it has a low DB rating...anyone that's ever heard one knows this is not true. It has to be the loudest thing in the air!

I'm not a robbie fan, so can't comment on them.

300's, I agree with Goldy, feels like you're falling out of the seat in cruise.

Bell 47's, slow as the summer day is long. Still fun to fly though.

-john

OK, so I thought it might be fun (and informative) to list the pros and cons of various ships. Kinda interesting that each ship has some strong pros and cons.

OK, so Robbies can't keep their blades on and I never like going skyward in a thermal, especially when feeling light in the seat. The 22 gets bouncy if someone sneezes but its the cheapest thing out there to fly. That R44 is one smooth ship though, and you can actually fly over 100 knots with a fair load...too bad about the blades coming apart mid air.

The old B 47 auto's like a dream, and has the best sound ever !! But cars in a school zone pass me by and it guzzles gas like no tomorrow.

The 300 is pretty solid, except I feel like I'm falling out of my chair over 60 knots, and it feels like I drop like a rock in an auto, and it couldnt do 100 if my life depended on it...plus 3 is a crowd.

Oooh, the 206. Clean, big, doesnt mind the fact that I am 245 pounds. Pretty speedy when light, but whats up with that tail rotor?

How bout the MD. Always wanted to fly a 500 and never have. I've spoken to several pilots of the NTR, several hated the tail rotor authority and lack of power. One felt it was the best ship ever made.

(yeah, but what does HE know !!!?)

Hmm...lets see. The Enstrom sure has a lot of fans. I like the look of the turbine. Got to talk to an owner of one a few months ago. He sure loves it, good in the auto, safe rotor head, reliable engine. I guess its a bit heavy to fly due to no hydraulics....you get used to it, and it helps build biceps.

Hmmm, spoke to an Lt last year who was soooo happy to get rid of his EC120's.( too underpowered in high DA) Talked to a local PD pilot who loves flying his......but admits it could use a bit more uumph.

Lets see, the AS350 likes to dance when a few feet off the ground. I am not much of a dancer myself. I have been a passenger once or twice, tons of power...very nice.

Yes, the 333 looks like a fishing lure as one of the VR members coined it..

Hmm, the CH 47 just plain doesnt fly without a computer guiding it. And its pretty tough to get into my backyard.

So what am I missing?

What do you like and dislike about the ship(s) that you fly ?

Hopefully I have insulted all makes and models equally so far, so as to not release the forum vipers.

The Huey! Bell UH-1 series. You become part of it, and each one has it's personality. What can't it do? The only real negative is the amount of drift with loss of tail rotor effect in the hover in the early models, but that was because of the aerodynamics of the broad fuselage, broad fin and power limitation available to catch it in time! However, the T/R and engine upgrade mods in the later models or when applied to the early models are impressive. A true classic and never a bind to fly or operate in front or back! Slick, EMS/SAR, or Gunship, longline or "Santa's Sleigh" only one helicopter has a "wok" that brings a rush to anyone in need or just watching! Yeah, love 'em!

Perfect for what? A perfect ship for training is probably worthless for transporting roughnecks offshore, or for much of anything else. A perfect ship for EMS isn't that good for training, or much of anything else.

In helicopter design, everything is a compromise of some sort. You can put in huge engines, so that it's possible to hover OGE on one, and have plenty of power at 20,000 feet. But that's going to require huge fuel tanks, and cost much more money to build and maintain. There is no perfect helicopter, and never will be. There are models that are better suited for certain tasks, but none will ever be perfect for any one task, because there is no one set of conditions which will always be there. I would love to have an IFR capable helicopter with unlimited power, unlimited range, and which flew itself. I won't hold my breath waiting for it, though.

Perfect for what? A perfect ship for training is probably worthless for transporting roughnecks offshore, or for much of anything else. A perfect ship for EMS isn't that good for training, or much of anything else.

Funny, this was my first thought after reading the title.

After, I considered like a good "happy medium." One that could get MOST common jobs done fairly well. I have only flown R22, 300c, cb, cbi, R44, B206, MD500, AS350BA, B2 and out of these, my STRONG fav is the B2. Sure the 500 is SWEET but the backseat is TINY, and hydro's would be nice just so you didn't have to trim though everything (I know, once you get used to it, no big deal). The JetRanger is a cool machine but the TR sucks and it's a little shaky (think "whup, whup, whup" :) ). The 44 is a sweet machine for the money but again, small rear seating (not as bad as the 500), and no turbine. The 300...pretty solid little ship, besides the obvious, it is a slow pig. The 22... not a bad little machine for what it is. It does the job of training, photo flights pretty well considering the cost, especially for something that was never meant as a trainer, hehehe.

Anyways, the B2 is the nicest of them all. It's smooth, powerful, feels good, and predictable. Hydro's seem to be a bit if a problem and no, I have never had a failure (knock on wood) but from what I hear and what I went through in training, managable without. It's a little squirrly on set downs sometimes but you take your time for a moment and landing it gets to be like anything else, you just get used to it. Sure, it's the most expensive but I'm sure if I flew an EC130, 135 or a Bell 412, 430, I'd have a new favorite right? :D

All in all, I agree with GP, I just did this cause I'm bored and waiting for my next group :).

An AS350B2 would not be so great for a trainer, or logging etc and a 22 would sure suck to do tours, police patrol, ENG or heliskiing out of! haha

Edited by DynamicallyUnstable

I love CH-47's even though I have only flown one a handful of times but crew'd them for years and they are fantastic. They look like a bus but handle like a porshe (and has 2 AFCS Goldy :D ).

OH-58's are fun but I prefer the UH-1

I would really like to get my hands on a Bell 214ST

(I know I go for the pigs)

Ok, I'll bite.

I have flown the 300, R-22, R-44, F28F, AS350D and BA, EC130.

My favorite? It's hard. Never had problems with the Robbie blades in my 1300hrs in them but I hear they come apart.

R-22: Fun to fly! Quick and fun to play around in. I had a lot of fun with the autos.

300: A great trainer, I would rather not crash but if I had a choice I would rather crash a 300 and not an R-22. The autos are fun too cause they are steeeeeeep!

R-44: Great piston powered personal helicopter for the pilot on a budget.

Enstrom F28F: I enjoyed this one a lot too. Autos like a dream, good size and seems to be easy to maintain.

Astar350: Not bad. Can get the job done. Draw back? The hydrualic system, the Astar dance and it's crowded when full of PAX. The B3 is a much better set up than a D or BA.

EC130B4: Nice! I like the dual channel VEMD and FADEC with EBCAU back up. Dual hydrualic system and a wide cabin for passenger comfort. Can carry a boat load of crap and still have power on a hot day. Drawback? Fenestron tail rotor isn't as effective as the Astar's tail rotor. You get used to it. Watch the turns at max gross weight on a hot windy day!

Right now I like flying the EC130 over the Astar and would take the EC130 any day over it.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

Find a gazelle,

It's probadly the fastest of the one's mentioned and most agile. Also, it said to have one of the most reliable engines ever to turn a rotorhead. These also autorotate very well but be careful with the tail,

She will hold five and the rear passengers have fairly good seating. These are getting harder and harder to find, as are parts.

Con's,

The tail rotor (fenestron) is ok but not a strong as the astar. Also, be mindful of fenestron stall.

Also, they are extremely noisey which I personally like, but they are very loud. Watch the video link and fall in love.

In a similar vein to Gomer's response, I was gonna mention something about theoretical requirements for the perfect helicopter rather than pick one out of the many.

I've only flown Bell products (206B3, 406/OH-58D), so I've never flown one that was known to display LTE readily. All I know is what I need. I NEED more power from an engine that would sip gas like the F-22 at supercruise to give me more than 2.5 hours in the air and still be able to carry all the fuel AND the ammo the aircraft was designed to carry. Replace ammo for cargo or pax if that is your schtick.

When I was a young, naive flight student I asked the DPE giving me my instrument checkride what was the best helicopter he had ever flown. He had flown pretty much everything the US Army had to offer, been around the block in the civilian world, and was a test pilot for Boeing at the time and his response to me was that helicopters are tools and the best helicopter is the one that is best suited for what you are asking of it. Of course, at the time, this wasn't the type of answer I was looking for, but it makes a lot of sense to me now.

But on the other hand, I have to agree with Astazou. I have never flown one, or even seen one up close, but as far as the perfect noise is concerned no other helicopter ever made makes a cooler noise than the Whistling Chicken Leg.

-S

Edited by spw1177