radio communications

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can post a link where there are good examples of self announcing for radio communications. I am trying to get this stuff down pact...and I know it is aviate, navigate and then finally communicate..and I am no where near 'aviating or navigating' yet...but heck, why not multitask before the instructor asks...

Also, an example of a self announce across a rwy to the rwy where we will take off (layman terms, i am trying to figure out how to say, hey i am crossing this rwy to get to this rwy)... To show I am not totally stupid,... I am thinking...

airport reference name, copter1234, hover taxing across RWY # to RWY #.

am I close?

Thanks, and no eye rolling when you read this...

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have a good audio source for you, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

There is a Safety Advisory from ASF that you could read: "Operations & Proficiency No. 3, Operations at Nontowered Airports" I have the hard copy I might be able to scan and send you in PDF if you wanted, but I'll try to find it online for you and post it instead. Also I would dive into the AIM as most of your questions can be answered there. Also Advisory Circular 90-66A which can be found here and 90-42F will also help.

Both of those are geared more to Fixed wing, but the communication is all the same almost. Really there isn't an exact wording you have to follow, but a good look through the Pilot Controller Glossary would help as that's what most people expect, however if you can get your point across and everyone understands what your doing then it should be ok. We as pilots are not legally bound to exact phrases like controllers are, however its strongly advised to use them.

The main points to remember are Who, Where, What, When. Which break down into Who you are trying to contact and who you are, Where you are, What you want, and When do you want it. Some examples to follow:

If your inbound:

"Howards field, Copter 1234, is inbound 10 miles to the south at 1000, will be overflying the field, Howards field."

Who your contacting: Howards field

Who you are: Copter 1234

Where you are: 10 miles south at 1000ft

What you want: Will be overflying the field

And at Non-towered airports it's advisable to say who your contacting again, so if someone missed the first part of your transaction they can still hear what field your coming into, and ask if they need to.

After your overflight and you've picked a landing spot

"Howards field, Copter 1234, is over the field at 1000ft, we'll be making an approach to the taxiway east of runway 17L, howards field"

Break this one down on your own, to save space on the board and as a learning manuver.

After landing, and now you need to cross the runway to get to the takeoff runway.

"Howards field, Copter 1234, holding short of 17L, we will be crossing 17L and taking 17R for takeoff and departure to the south, howards field."

I'm assuming that there is no other traffic in the area but you should always always always expect there to be traffic and them not communicating, so be extreamly vigilant. If there is traffic, then everything gets a little more complicated, after every transmission you make take a pause before you do anything. After announcing your crossing the runway, just wait there for a minute and see if someone comes back and says, "Howards field, Cessna 4321, we're short final, landing 17L, Howards." Then you know not to cross as someone is landing, let them know you aknowledge so they are not wondering where you are, "Copter 1234, we'll hold for landing traffic, Howards." Everyone will appreciate it if you have the "BIG PICTURE" and situational awarness. Something I will do with my students is when we are coming in somewhere, I'll be listening getting the picture, and then ask my student "Where's Copter 9876 at?" and I expect them to be able to tell me, "Oh, he's probably coming up on about 3 miles to the east, right behind the cessna." Then we'll make sure he really is there, and I'll continuosly quiz them, now I don't do this all the time, but it's a great learning tool for situational awarness.

I hope this helps you out some, if it doesn't or you need further clearification, or have other questions please feel free to ask. You'll get no eye-rolling from me, and probably non of the others on here.

References:

ASF Safety Advisory, Operation at Non-Towered Airports

AOPA Article, Radio Pros and Clods

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can post a link where there are good examples of self announcing for radio communications. I am trying to get this stuff down pact...and I know it is aviate, navigate and then finally communicate..and I am no where near 'aviating or navigating' yet...but heck, why not multitask before the instructor asks...

Also, an example of a self announce across a rwy to the rwy where we will take off (layman terms, i am trying to figure out how to say, hey i am crossing this rwy to get to this rwy)... To show I am not totally stupid,... I am thinking...

am I close?

I don't have a link but I do have a general format to follow whether your talking to ATC or in the blind.

State:

Who your talking to. (name of atc or airport)

Who you are. (copter1234)

Where you are. (position and altitude)

What are your intentions. (what are you going to do)

Sum it up. (blind: name of airport again, ATC: call sign again)

Example:

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, 8 miles SW @ 1000, inbound, North Pole traffic.

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, departing runway #, Left closed traffic, North Pole traffic.

Your example: State where you are at the airport. Taxiway intersection, helipads, ramp, at 1 runway, etc...

and what part of the runway your crossing. Alpha 3 intersection, midfield, Foxtrot 2 intersection, etc....

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, @ helipads, Taxiing direct to runway 23L, crossing runway 23R @ mid field, North Pole traffic.

North Pole traffic, copter 1233, @ Alpha 2, crossing 23L for 23R, North Pole traffic.

Keep it plain and simple. Remember the fixedwing guys don't know the difference between hover taxi and air taxi.

Side note. If there is a frequency for weather at an airport listen to it before you show up. It drives me crazy when people ask for airport advisory when the awos will say it all.

I don't have a link but I do have a general format to follow whether your talking to ATC or in the blind.

State:

Who your talking to. (name of atc or airport)

Who you are. (copter1234)

Where you are. (position and altitude)

What are your intentions. (what are you going to do)

Sum it up. (blind: name of airport again, ATC: call sign again)

Example:

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, 8 miles SW @ 1000, inbound, North Pole traffic.

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, departing runway #, Left closed traffic, North Pole traffic.

Your example: State where you are at the airport. Taxiway intersection, helipads, ramp, at 1 runway, etc...

and what part of the runway your crossing. Alpha 3 intersection, midfield, Foxtrot 2 intersection, etc....

North Pole traffic, copter 1234, @ helipads, Taxiing direct to runway 23L, crossing runway 23R @ mid field, North Pole traffic.

North Pole traffic, copter 1233, @ Alpha 2, crossing 23L for 23R, North Pole traffic.

Keep it plain and simple. Remember the fixedwing guys don't know the difference between hover taxi and air taxi.

Side note. If there is a frequency for weather at an airport listen to it before you show up. It drives me crazy when people ask for airport advisory when the awos will say it all.

thanks these two responses are great! I tried listing to that liveatc site, but every link I clink on is bad..

But you two, helped me out a ton, helped me alot. thanks and thanks for typing alot...you went way over my expectations...this is good.

Heck, I'll give you a typical from parking and one pattern where I'm at.......

(Before I start, we use the taxi-ways for all our takeoff and landings and do all traffic patterns to the south while fixed is on the runways and turn north, so we do turns left or right depending which direction we take off. 12-30 are the runways here. I'll leave out all the intercom talk and what not we do with instructors and only type what is said as if your solo.)

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z leaving transient parking for taxi-way alpha, parallel 30, caldwell.

Caldwell traffic, helicopter 89z taking off taxi-way alpha parallel 30 for left traffic caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on left downwind, for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on left base to final, for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

Sometimes for the last call it will be like this

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on a HIGH left base to final for simulated engine failure to intersection foxtrot caldwell.

OR

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z leaving transient parking for taxi-way alpha, parallel 30, caldwell.

Caldwell traffic, helicopter 89z taking off taxi-way alpha parallel 30 for left traffic caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on left downwind, for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z departing to the westbound over the railroad tracks, 3000 500 feet caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 3,5,7 10, miles ( whichever it is ) at 3500 feet and below maneuvering over the river caldwell. ( we do a lot of confines on sandbars barely bigger than the 22 in the river )

OR

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 10 miles north, northwest maneuvering in the foothills at 3000 feet and below caldwell. ( when we are doing pinnacles, some of which are just barely big enough for you to be able to get out and stand next to the 22 if you wanted to. )

Then you just make similar calls when you are back inbound. like this one, and will be my last I'll type.....

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 1 to the north inbound at 3000 feet will be crossing mid filed for left downwind for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

I know it seems like a lot to say, but it takes very little time, and we are the busiest airport in the state as far as volume is concerned, Boise's class C has less frequent traffic, and we rarely get bogged down on the radio, only when a non area regular comes around do you find yourself saying hurry up and spit it out already when they are making their um and uuh and ummm and uuuh calls. :D

Hope this helps, it really is just a matter of doing the calls and the instructor will know when to start asking you to start trying to make them and they will correct them when you say it wrong the many times you will until you get more comfortable with it.

Heck, I'll give you a typical from parking and one pattern where I'm at.......

(Before I start, we use the taxi-ways for all our takeoff and landings and do all traffic patterns to the south while fixed is on the runways and turn north, so we do turns left or right depending which direction we take off. 12-30 are the runways here. I'll leave out all the intercom talk and what not we do with instructors and only type what is said as if your solo.)

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on left base to final, for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

Sometimes for the last call it will be like this

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z on a HIGH left base to final for simulated engine failure to intersection foxtrot caldwell.

OR

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z departing to the westbound over the railroad tracks, 3000 500 feet caldwell.

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 3,5,7 10, miles ( whichever it is ) at 3500 feet and below maneuvering over the river caldwell. ( we do a lot of confines on sandbars barely bigger than the 22 in the river )

OR

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 10 miles north, northwest maneuvering in the foothills at 3000 feet and below caldwell. ( when we are doing pinnacles, some of which are just barely big enough for you to be able to get out and stand next to the 22 if you wanted to. )

Then you just make similar calls when you are back inbound. like this one, and will be my last I'll type.....

Caldwell traffic helicopter 89z is 1 to the north inbound at 3000 feet will be crossing mid filed for left downwind for taxi-way alpha parallel 30 caldwell.

I know it seems like a lot to say, but it takes very little time, and we are the busiest airport in the state as far as volume is concerned, Boise's class C has less frequent traffic, and we rarely get bogged down on the radio, only when a non area regular comes around do you find yourself saying hurry up and spit it out already when they are making their um and uuh and ummm and uuuh calls. :D

Hope this helps, it really is just a matter of doing the calls and the instructor will know when to start asking you to start trying to make them and they will correct them when you say it wrong the many times you will until you get more comfortable with it.

all I got to say is holy smokes ... I would be the one trying to spit it out and you will definitely be the one laughing...

am I close?

Sounds like a good radio call to me. You stated you your actions and intentions concisely. That's

what it's all about. Don't get too hung up on radio stuff. As you train, you'll (hopefully) pick up on

what's important and skip the other b.s. Announcing your positions and your intentions in a terse,

easy to understand manner is all I care about. Don't sweat the "pilot speak" too much. Think

about if you were listening to another pilot in the same area. What would YOU want to know?

Edited by helonorth

I forget to turn the radio on. Makes flying easier.

Later

One thing that helped me learn my radio calls, was listening to it. I bought a portable radio, so I could listen to the traffic at the airport nearest to me. For a long while, instead of turning music on at work, i'd turn that on, and just listen to what they were saying.

Helped me a bit, might want to try it. Goodluck!

One thing that helped me learn my radio calls, was listening to it. I bought a portable radio, so I could listen to the traffic at the airport nearest to me. For a long while, instead of turning music on at work, i'd turn that on, and just listen to what they were saying.

Helped me a bit, might want to try it. Goodluck!

That is a good idea...I thought about doing that, but then thought it might not work...

Excellent idea...

A good acronym for communications is IT PAID:

I - Identification (Tail number)

T - Type (A/C type)

P - Position

A - Altitude

I - Intentions

D - Departed (Last aerodrome you left)

It's nice and easy, and conveys everything you need to say. If you're flying into a controlled aerodrome, make sure you pick up the ATIS as well, and advise ATC that you have the information. The last departed can be left off if you are landing at an uncontrolled field, or at an airport where the tower is closed. Instead, the phrase "any conflicting traffic, please advise <insert Identification here>"

For example (forgive me, I'm Canadian, so my callsigns will be different):

C-GNLE - "Buttonville Tower, Helicopter Golf-November-Lima- Echo with information Hotel." (We don't need to say Charlie unless we're flying into a foreign country, the Charlie idents us as a Canadian A/C)

ATC - "November-Lima-Echo, Buttonville Tower."

C-GNLE - "November-Lima-Echo is a 206 JetRanger currently 3 miles north of the zone at 1 point 7, inbound landing 2-1, last departed Muskoka."

ATC - "November-Lima- Echo roger, altimeter 2-9-8-8, report 3 north of the field at 1.2"

C-GNLE - "Report 3 north at 1.2, November-Lima-Echo."

For me personally, when I'm working, I take off before the tower is open. So the airport becomes a Mandatory Frequency, and all intentions must be broadcast on the freq. This is what I say first thing in the morning. I'll use my working callsign, as I don't use my civil Ident:

C-FNPQ - "Buttonville traffic, Media 5 is an R-44 helicopter at the south pad, hover taxiing across 2-1 for the main apron. Any conflicting traffic, please advise, that's Media 5."

To depart I say the following:

C-FNPQ - "Buttonville traffic, Media 5 is at the main apron, hover taxiing to 2-1, departing down 2-1 with a left turn southbound, climbing to 1.7. Any conflicting traffic, please advise, that's Media 5."'

Again, this is how I/we do things north of the boarder. Our rules and airspace are slightly different compared to the U.S.'s. But the IT PAID will certainly help you out.