Talk of this airport closing below:

Mr. William C. Withycombe

Western-Pacific Regional Administrator

Federal Aviation Administration

AWP-9 PO Box 92007

Los Angeles, California 90009-2002

Re: Grand Canyon National Park Airport

Dear Mr. Withycombe:

If continuing negotiations between the Arizona legislature and the Governor do not result in an approved budget for the fiscal year beginning on July 1, the State of Arizona may cease many of its services. Among those services is the operation of the Grand Canyon National Park Airport.

If there is not an approved budget for the new fiscal year prior to July 1, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) will close the Grand Canyon National Park Airport at midnight on June 30, 2009. Should the airport be closed, it will remain closed until further notice. Closure of the airport will be communicated through a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) issued by the airport manager. The standard “X” marking will be placed on each end of the airport’s runway to indicate the runway is closed to traffic.

If you or your staff has any questions about the closure of the airport, please contact the airport manager, Mike Halpin or me. Mr. Halpin can be reached by telephone at 928-638-2446 and by email at mhalpin2@azdot.gov . My telephone number is 602-294-9144 and my email address is bdick@azdot.gov .

Sincerely,

Barclay Dick, A.A.E.

Cc: John Halikowski, ADOT Director

Matt Burdick, ADOT CCP

Kim Stevens, ADOT – Aeronautics Division

Mike Halpin, ADOT – Aeronautics Division

Mark McClardy, FAA

Brian Armstrong, FAA

Anthony Garcia, FAA

...Ouch.

I had this sent to me as well. We'll see if they are just using it as a political ploy to get what they want or if indeed it will close. If it closes that will be another big blow to tour operators already down from last year.

There is anothe airport just a little south of there but that would mean more flight time and cost of moving operations.

JD

PS: I saw the old SSH Huey at that airport last week. Anyone know about it?

The airport to the south is Valle (pronounced "Valley). I landed there last week. Two restaurants within walking distance and a museum displaying old cars and airplanes. Very hospitable people, as well as a courtesy car.

Valle is where I saw the SSH Huey parked on the East side. Saw it from the highway. Looked like a nice little airport.

Pap. built thier new facility at Boulder City not at the South Rim. Although, most operators have a really nice facility at the South Rim location so it wouldn't be easy to just pack up and move South.

JD

Valle is where I saw the SSH Huey parked on the East side. Saw it from the highway. Looked like a nice little airport.

Pap. built thier new facility at Boulder City not at the South Rim. Although, most operators have a really nice facility at the South Rim location so it wouldn't be easy to just pack up and move South.

JD

JD- I posted this one just for you, knowing it was within the sphere you fly in. Please keep us all posted if this closure actually happens.

Goldy

• 4 weeks later...