What else is there?

Hello all,

I am a CFI with R-22 and 300 time. My total time is approx. 230 hours. I'm just throwing this question out there for anyone that might be a little more on the inside than me.

What and where are the job possibilities for pilots with less than 500 hours? I know there is more than just flight instruction out there, but I dont know where to look or who to talk to. Pipeline/powerline patrols, tuna boat flying, ag flying, any type of flying that a person with low time like myself might be able to get...or at least apply to.

Flight instruction is a great way to go to get time and gain experience, but if there are other things out there then I would love to hear about them. Thanks to all of you for reading this and fly safe!

I hate to sound negative, but I know 3 CFIs with over 1200 each and none of them can get out of instructing because there is nothing else around right now.

I can relate to this. I have 1400 hrs and an atp and i can't find anything. Anyone any ideas where to look outside the normal gulf, tours, etc?

Just depends on who you know. Back when I was in highscool in Northern California, I was working a janitorial position at a local helicopter contract company. Worked there for for about 8 months, up until I joined the Army as a blackhawk mechanic. 4 brothers owned the business at the time (now 3, they booted one out), and they all told me if I ever came back looking for a maintenance position, or possibly a pilot job, they would be more than willing to accept me into the company. I still go back home a couple times a year as I take leave from the military, and always stop by to see how they are doing, the changes to the company, all the new helicopters, etc. They continue to tell me the same thing. If you end up looking for that first civilian maintenance or pilot position, we'll be more than happy to take you in. Just depends on who you know, and how well you know them. I haven't been into the civilian side of aviation yet really, but have always heard the more people you know, the better your chances are of getting jobs.

Any job out there for the hours you're looking for are probably going to require you to work at that company at a non pilot position. You'll build time as they let you but it'll be very slow compared to CFI. The reality though is there isn't really anything out there for any level these days. 1200-1500 hour pilot are competing against 6000 hour pilots for entry levels jobs. It's kind of a joke though not that funny. All you can do is keep trying and talk to everyone you can. Really though you're probably not going to get a job these days unless you show up and talk to people. Everyone has a stack of resumes on their table.

• 1 month later...

what happened to just wanting to fly and being willing to just be a CFI for infinity to be in aviation? Now you want a different job in the helicopter with absolutely 0 experience!?!?

am I being too negative or is there a whole new batch of kids that want it all and want it now? Keep your day job kid.

No offense, but that seemed a little hostile.

I'm a big fan of pilots "paying their dues" and instructing for a couple years. But there was a time in the past that you didn't have to do that. You could find a job on a tuna boat while being low in hours. Thats not true now. Now, the only real option for people is to instruct.

Do I think all pilots should have to instruct though? Hell no. And I think some of you would agree. Some people simply are not cut out to teach. Its not fair to them, and definitely not fair to the poor student who gets stuck with that instructor. Just my $0.02....

what happened to just wanting to fly and being willing to just be a CFI for infinity to be in aviation? Now you want a different job in the helicopter with absolutely 0 experience!?!?

am I being too negative or is there a whole new batch of kids that want it all and want it now? Keep your day job kid.