Hey folks,

Starting training on Sunday. I'm going to use one of their headsets for my first lesson but will need to purchase my own. What are your picks for "best bang for the buck" headsets? Do I need to get a heli-specific set? I'd like to keep it under about $250 and am kind of overwhelmed by the choices in that range. Thanks!

Hey folks,

Starting training on Sunday. I'm going to use one of their headsets for my first lesson but will need to purchase my own. What are your picks for "best bang for the buck" headsets? Do I need to get a heli-specific set? I'd like to keep it under about $250 and am kind of overwhelmed by the choices in that range. Thanks!

You don't need a helicopter specific headset as there are adapters for the various plugs. However most helicopters use the single plug and the adapters run 25 to 50 bucks.

You might try Ebay. There are usually some good deals there. What ever you do don't go cheap. Your hearing is quite important and you need to protect it as much as you can. And you want the full muff headset. Keep in mind you will also want something that is as comfortable as possible. If the headset is not comfortable, it will detract from your learning experience.

My advice is to find an FBO or avionics shop near you that has multiple headsets you can try on. Find one that is comfortable and then save enough $$$ to buy it. Comfort (and protection) is more important than saving a few bucks, I think. In the interim you can use the headsets provided by your school.

Also, keep in mind that one day you will be a working pilot, and you'll have to wear your headset 8+ hours a day. It needs to be comfortable. Period.

I'd say just use their headsets for now, that's what I did, didn't actually buy my own until after my private. I bought a David Clark H10-66, because it said it was "for high noise helicopters". Its a great headset to start with, and now 7yrs later it still works pretty well (probably could use some new ear cups).

When the time comes, several years away, when you want to upgrade, get the Lightspead Zulu, I just did, and its awesome! ;)

I would also recomend you buy a "helicopter specific" headset. Before I had my own I used many airplane loaners, and although they worked ok with the adapter (solo), I had some trouble with them on dual flights, especially when the instructor had a Bose. :(

Best bang for the buck is probably Quiet Technologies HALO. It provides the highest NRR available, for a LOT less than the ANR headsets available. You do have to be a little careful with it, since the components are selected for light weight moreso than durability, but the customer service is excellent.

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if any of you out there has any experience with Pilot USA Helo Headsets? Good, Bad, what do you have to say?

Thanks for the input.

Swisster

Best bang for the buck is probably Quiet Technologies HALO. It provides the highest NRR available, for a LOT less than the ANR headsets available. You do have to be a little careful with it, since the components are selected for light weight moreso than durability, but the customer service is excellent.

I agree one hundred percent. the halo rocks.

• Like 1