I am looking for some advice. I have my private license for airplanes.

I only have 10.1 hours in helicopters at this point (5.5 in an R22, 1.8 in a Bell 47 and 1.2 in an S-300). Up to now, I have only been flying helicopters 1-2 hours per year. I have started pick-ups and set downs, done some local area flying and done pirouettes down the taxiway.

This summer I will be living close to an airport that has helicopter training (Northeast Helicopters in Ellington, CT). I will only be there for the summer since it is for an internship. They have both a S-300 and an R-22.

The R-22 is $280 per hour, but I need 14.5 hours before I would be able to solo because of the SFAR.

The S-300 is $300 per hour, but there is no minimum number of hours to solo. The problem with the S-300 is that there aren't as many places renting them, so I may need to eventually finish those 14.5 hours in an R-22 to be able to rent a helicopter.

Using this as some basic information, would it make more sense to fly the 22 or the 300? I don't want this to turn into a thread about which is better the 22 or the 300. That conversation has been beat to death many times. I'm curious as to which makes more sense given the situation.

Well don't get caught up on the minimum hours to solo/checkride etc... You will NOT solo either a 22 or 300 in 14.5 hrs...

So, fly the one that you personally feel more comfortable in. Its only $20/hr difference, really small change in this game...

The renting scenario is a whole nother can of worms...

Well don't get caught up on the minimum hours to solo/checkride etc... You will NOT solo either a 22 or 300 in 14.5 hrs...

So, fly the one that you personally feel more comfortable in. Its only $20/hr difference, really small change in this game...

The renting scenario is a whole nother can of worms...

That is what I would have said had I responded first.

I have been renting for several years now, and I don't know of any local places that will rent the S300's they have.

Stick with the R22, it will give you more options, and if you want to rent for a weekend trip with your girlfriend, it will allow you to take at least an overnight bag! ;)

Agree with everyone here. R-22. You won't solo that fast. While I have had students ready that quick it is pretty rare. Getting training done in the R-22/44 will give you a lot more options in rental locations.

JD